1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 13:09
    Both Lord Shark and Andrew Hamilton have posited recently that something which logically exists somehow ceases to do so in the absence of an observer. How is such a thing possible?
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 13:23
    Could you link to the actual posts so we can have a context?

Is this reference to the question, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", or is it relating to QM?
  3. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:09
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Both Lord Shark and Andrew Hamilton have posited recently that something which logically exists somehow ceases to do so in the absence of an observer. How is such a thing possible?
    I don't think I have posited that.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:191 edit
    It's actually true. When the population was low there were very few people either at the beach or studying the glaciers.

Now they either erode or melt away because someone is ALWAYS there to see the waves crashing on the beach or sunshine beating down on the glaciers.

It's really basic science, why bother crashing waves and shining light when no humans are there to see it? God has a lot of important things to do, and this is why he needs to send us to war or kill us off with plagues so he can get back to tending his flock and making sure this 6,000 year old planet is safe.

6,000 years is a long time, Earth doesn't need the wear and tear of things humans see.

P-
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:22
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I don't think I have posited that.
    Something akin to that, over in the "science and God" thread, wherein you posted:

So you think, for example, that if our solar system outlived any sentient beings, there would still be eight planets orbiting the sun? (Now that Pluto has been downgraded.)

I take a different philosophical view, I think that in the case that there are no sentient beings then there would be no 'eight' let alone Pi.
  6. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:28
    Something akin to that, over in the "science and God" thread, wherein you posted:

So you think, for example, that if our solar system outlived any sentient beings, there would still be eight planets orbiting the sun? (Now that Pluto has been downgraded.)

I take a different philosophical view, I think that in the case that there are no sentient beings then there would be no 'eight' let alone Pi.
    I think you might have misunderstood that slightly. I'm not saying that whatever exists and causes us to label and enumerate planets will cease to exist upon our demise. I am saying that the labels and enumeration will cease to exist.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:43
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I think you might have misunderstood that slightly. I'm not saying that whatever exists and causes us to label and enumerate planets will cease to exist upon our demise. I am saying that the labels and enumeration will cease to exist.
    Okay, without the label, what is, for instance, pi?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 14:44
    Originally posted by lausey
    Could you link to the actual posts so we can have a context?

Is this reference to the question, "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?", or is it relating to QM?
    As you quoted.
  9. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:041 edit
    As you quoted.
    I think in that case it all depends what you define the sound to be. For example, is it the actual pressure waves coming from the tree after it has fallen? or is it what the brain interprets from the electrical signals after it has been converted by the cochlea?

If sound is what is purely interpreted by the brain. Does someone who has Tinnitus actually hear sounds?

If it is the actual pressure waves, then are frequencies outside the audible range of any living thing really a sound? I know you have ultrasonic and subsonic, but if they are sounds, that will mean *any* vibration is a sound.

I think Lord Shark's point is different though. If people no longer existed to define a sound, then there is effectively no "sound".
  10. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:18
    Okay, without the label, what is, for instance, pi?
    Pi is a mathematical entity. If there were no mathematics, there would be no Pi.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:18
    I think in that case it all depends what you define the sound to be. For example, is it the actual pressure waves coming from the tree after it has fallen? or is it what the brain interprets from the electrical signals after it has been converted by the cochlea?

If sound is what is purely interpreted by the brain. Does someone who has Tinnitus actually hea ...[text shortened]... though. If people no longer existed to define a sound, then there is effectively no "sound".
    How would you describe the sensory impact of pi?
  12. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:29

If sound is what is purely interpreted by the brain. Does someone who has Tinnitus actually hea ...[text shortened]... though. If people no longer existed to define a sound, then there is effectively no "sound".
    I think Lord Shark's point is different though. If people no longer existed to define a sound, then there is effectively no "sound".
    The label "sound" wouldn't exist but the aspects of the world that cause our models to involve pressure waves would exist without people. Zebras would still be able to hear.

But I'm making a stlightly different point about the ontology of mathematical objects. Pi, as an abstract artifact of a formal system is not really like sound, which is a label both for physical pressure waves and what we experience on sensing and decoding these (as you pointed out).
  13. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    29 Sep '10 15:45
    How would you describe the sensory impact of pi?
    I like pumpkin
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 04:13
    Originally posted by duecer
    I like pumpkin
    Huh?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Sep '10 05:39
    Huh?
    I can't speak for duecer but what I think he is saying that if it were not for his existence there would be no pumkin pie. At least, not as far as he is concerned.

Edit: To leave out whipped cream is unconscionable. 😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree