1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    12 Apr '24 17:02
    @pettytalk said
    The connection between Christianity and Platonism, as exemplified through the works of St. Augustine, offers a fascinating exploration of how ancient philosophical ideas can be integrated with religious beliefs to enrich both domains.

There is a profound relationship between Christianity and Platonism, which the contributions of St. Augustine, a pivotal figure in bridgi ...[text shortened]... quiry in the exploration of spiritual truths and the quest for a deeper understanding of the divine.
    To continue, I'm going to quote some content from Book VII of St. Augustine's Confessions, followed by a brief summary collected from various sources to expound on the impact the Bishop of Hippo has had on Christianity. All serious Christians need to pay attention to note that Augustine attributes his good fortune of being introduced to Plato's work, through Platonists, to God.

One of the many finds in Plato's work by Augustine is the finding of the kernel/essence in a nutshell. The essence of the Eternal world, in the opening in the Gospel of John: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

"Now then, O my Helper, hadst Thou loosed me from those fetters: and I sought "whence is evil," and found no way. But Thou sufferedst me not by any fluctuations of thought to be carried away from the Faith whereby I believed Thee both to be, and Thy substance to be unchangeable, and that Thou hast a care of, and wouldest judge men, and that in Christ, Thy Son, Our Lord, and the holy Scriptures, which the authority of Thy Catholic Church pressed upon me, Thou hadst set the way of man's salvation, to that life which is to be after this death. These things being safe and immovably settled in my mind, I sought anxiously "whence was evil?" What were the pangs of my teeming heart, what groans, O my God! yet even there were Thine ears open, and I knew it not; and when in silence I vehemently sought, those silent contritions of my soul were strong cries unto Thy mercy. Thou knewest what I suffered, and no man. For, what was that which was thence through my tongue distilled into the ears of my most familiar friends?.....

And Thou, willing first to show me how Thou resistest the proud, but givest grace unto the humble, and by how great an act of Thy mercy Thou hadst traced out to men the way of humility, in that Thy Word was made flesh, and dwelt among men:—Thou procuredst for me, by means of one puffed up with most unnatural pride, certain books of the Platonists, translated from Greek into Latin. And therein I read, not indeed in the very words, but to the very same purpose, enforced by many and divers reasons, that In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God: the Same was in the beginning with God: all things were made by Him, and without Him was nothing made: that which was made by Him is life, and the life was the light of men, and the light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not. And that the soul of man, though it bears witness to the light, yet itself is not that light; but the Word of God, being God, is that true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world. And that He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. But, that He came unto His own, and His own received Him not; but as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, as many as believed in His name; this I read not there."

St. Augustine of Hippo is widely recognized and respected across various Christian denominations, including the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Lutheran churches, and the Anglican Communion. He is considered a saint in these traditions and is recognized as a preeminent Catholic Doctor of the Church. His contributions to Christian theology and philosophy have had a profound impact on Western Christianity, and he is celebrated for his role in the development of Western philosophy and theology.

Many Protestants, especially Calvinists and Lutherans, regard Augustine as one of the theological fathers of the Protestant Reformation. Martin Luther, in particular, held Augustine in high regard among the early Church Fathers. Luther was a member of the Order of the Augustinian Eremites from 1505 to 1521, indicating a significant influence of Augustine's teachings on Luther's theological development.

Augustine's teachings on salvation and divine grace have been influential in shaping the theological perspectives of Protestantism. His emphasis on the grace of Christ as indispensable to human freedom and his formulation of the doctrine of original sin have been foundational to the understanding of human nature and the need for redemption in many Protestant traditions.

In summary, St. Augustine is seen as a significant figure in Christian theology and philosophy, with his teachings and contributions influencing a wide range of Christian denominations, including those outside the Catholic Church. His legacy is celebrated for its profound impact on the development of Christian thought and practice.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3296

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree