1. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 May '09 11:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    contradicting my earlier claim, nonsense! i stated earlier that there was variation within a species, do you want me to retrieve it and stick it to your forehead? Darwin smarwin! finches are finches, they are not eagles or ospreys, or chickens are they.
    So when you said:
    the preposterous idea that species mutate into other species
    you didn't have a clue what you were talking about because you clearly don't know what the word 'species' means.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    07 May '09 14:39
    DNA is venerable to mutations. Today we have the swine flu virus and fears are that it will mutate and come back in the fall with a more deadly strain. This is a common problem with virus illness. There are many other examples such as the Darwin finches. My problem with the theory that God created everything complete and perfect at one time is that I cannot see a creation by this means with so many failures. Many animals have gone extinct from predators and environment. If the creation was perfect why did this happen. I do believe God’s creation is perfect!. Evolution is an answer to this view.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 May '09 17:592 edits
    Originally posted by Thomas Lavery
    DNA is venerable to mutations. Today we have the swine flu virus and fears are that it will mutate and come back in the fall with a more deadly strain. This is a common problem with virus illness. There are many other examples such as the Darwin finches. My problem with the theory that God created everything complete and perfect at one time is that I ...[text shortened]... y did this happen. I do believe God’s creation is perfect!. Evolution is an answer to this view.
    Im not sure of the use of the word, venerable here, but you may cite artistic license, that's fine, here is what the journal Scientific American had to say, 'the life of every organism and its continuity from generation to generation” are preserved “by enzymes that continually repair” genetic damage. It further states “In particular, significant damage to DNA molecules can induce an emergency response in which increased quantities of the repair enzymes are synthesized.” - Scientific American, Irreducible repair of DNA, Paul Howard Flanders, p.72
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 May '09 08:13
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I'm not getting it. What are you claiming is so preposterous? Are you claiming it is preposterous to think that genetic mutation occurs? Are you claiming it is preposterous to think genetic mutation could occur on any level that could, along with other factors, result in speciation? Are you claiming something that delimits the degree to which genetic ...[text shortened]... o you know anything at all on this topic -- a topic that you love declaiming on so much?
    Robbie, are you going to clarify what it is you find preposterous?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '09 09:071 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Im not sure of the use of the word, venerable here, but you may cite artistic license, that's fine, here is what the journal Scientific American had to say, 'the life of every organism and its continuity from generation to generation” are preserved “by enzymes that continually repair” genetic damage. It further states “In particular, significant dama ...[text shortened]... re synthesized.” - Scientific American, Irreducible repair of DNA, Paul Howard Flanders, p.72
    Regarding DNA mutations, what is your actual argument?
    Are you claiming that:
    1. DNA never mutates.
    You don't appear to be claiming this as you clearly admit variation within species and some of your quotes talk of mutations.
    2. DNA mutations are too rare for speciation to occur.
    If this is your claim then can you cite actual figures as otherwise your argument is mere unfounded skepticism.
    To uphold your claim you must show:
    a) An upper bound to the rate of mutations.
    b) The minimum number of mutations required to create a new species.
    c) That a) can never lead to b) within the known age of the earth (whatever you hold that to be).
    So for example if you hold that on average there is only one mutation in every 1000 generations (references for your figure must be provided), and you need a minimum of 1 million mutations for speciation to be considered to have occurred (again some references) then you must show that no organism on earth could have had 1000 million generations within the history of the earth. (references).

Or do you have some other argument?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree