1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 20:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Atheist: "noun. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence
    of God or gods: he is a committed atheist." (oxforddictionaries.com)

Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures [fathers, coach ...[text shortened]... all posts that merit response later this evening or in the morning. Thanks for your interest.
    Yes, Bobby, atheists characteristically have a deep distrust and hatred of their fathers, coaches, bosses, etc. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 21:353 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    Nietzche didn't own the term. Hegel said it before him and may others have explored the idea. It doesn't necessarily assert a lack of need for divine authority, it can assert a social trend that results in a regrettable vacuum as follows:

"In 1961, Vahanian's book The Death of God was published. Vahanian argued that modern secular culture had lost all sense even Christian existentialism, to the extent Christ as a model human isn't deified.
    Nietzche didn't own the term. . . . it can assert a social trend that results in a regrettable vacuum. . .

Yes, and although he was no fan of Christianity—and criticized what he saw as flaws in the particular morality it fosters (according to him)—his fear, and the impetus of his ethical philosophy, was that the collapse of such a socially pervasive philosophical base (both metaphysical and ethical) would result in a nihilistic “regrettable vacuum”. Far from being a nihilist, Nietzsche was trying to present an alternative philosophical view that would forestall nihilism.

Whether or not Nietzsche was actually an atheist is debatable; I’ve read most of the Nietzschean corpus, and I can’t recall him claiming the label. His “God is dead” referred specifically to the god-concept as conceived by the Judeo-Christian tradition.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 21:53

Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures [fathers, coach ...[text shortened]... all posts that merit response later this evening or in the morning. Thanks for your interest.
    This question should be amenable to study using the scientific method.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 21:58
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Nietzche didn't own the term. . . . it can assert a social trend that results in a regrettable vacuum. . .

Yes, and although he was no fan of Christianity—and criticized what he saw as flaws in the particular morality it fosters (according to him)—his fear, and the impetus of his ethical philosophy, was that the collapse of such a socially pervasi ...[text shortened]... s dead” referred specifically to the god-concept as conceived by the Judeo-Christian tradition.[/b]
    I wonder if he had more exposure to Islam or extended his analysis outside the West. would he have extended the "God is Dead" reference to include the Abrahamic religions. Perhaps he would have said that secular modernity had not yet taken hold in Islamic countries and so Allah was not (yet) dead?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 03:15
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Yes, Bobby, atheists characteristically have a deep distrust and hatred of their fathers, coaches, bosses, etc. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Why then do you distrust your father?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 03:28
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]Nietzche didn't own the term. . . . it can assert a social trend that results in a regrettable vacuum. . .

Yes, and although he was no fan of Christianity—and criticized what he saw as flaws in the particular morality it fosters (according to him)—his fear, and the impetus of his ethical philosophy, was that the collapse of such a socially pervasi ...[text shortened]... s dead” referred specifically to the god-concept as conceived by the Judeo-Christian tradition.[/b]
    I thought Nietzche went insane.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 05:03
    As always I respect your right to form and express an opinion.
    Such affirmation must give twhitehead a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    Such magnanimity!
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 05:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    " In 1889, at age forty-four, he suffered a collapse and a complete loss of his mental faculties. The breakdown was later ascribed to atypical general paresis due to tertiary syphilis, but this diagnosis has come into question.[46] Nietzsche lived his remaining years in the care of his mother until her death in 1897, after which he fell under the care of his sister Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche until his death in 1900.

As his caretaker, his sister assumed the roles of curator and editor of Nietzsche's manuscripts. Förster-Nietzsche was married to a prominent German nationalist and antisemite, Bernhard Förster, and reworked Nietzsche's unpublished writings to fit her husband's ideology, often in ways contrary to Nietzsche's stated opinions, which were strongly and explicitly opposed to antisemitism and nationalism (see Nietzsche's criticism of antisemitism and nationalism). Through Förster-Nietzsche's editions, Nietzsche's name became associated with German militarism and Nazism, although later twentieth-century scholars have attempted to counteract this misconception of his ideas."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 06:17

No, although I reckon it's possible that those that actively call themselves atheist are in general less likely to blindly accept whatever someone who is "above" them tells them. It's a consequence of being more skeptic than "believers".
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 08:05
    Originally posted by sonhouse

I have a question as to why he used the term 'incubus', which has sexual connotations:
    It didn't seem to me a proper metaphor but I am totally unversed in philosophy so it is probably just me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus
    "In 1960 he wrote an article entitled “Sin, the Lesser of Two Evils,” in The American Psychologist magazine. In it he said, “For several decades we psychologists have looked upon the whole matter of sin and moral accountability as a great incubus and we have acclaimed our freedom from it as epic making... " (OP)

"I have a question as to why he used the term 'incubus', which has sexual connotations:"

Hardly an expert in linguistics or his writing style, I can only guess the intent and purpose: 'sexual' activity per se; or more likely the graphic metaphor of a womb of embryonic ideas spawned from the countervailing tensions or frictions of "sin and moral accountability" speculations; or the early intellectual caul in which we were kept until an 'epic' escape to freedom?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 08:20
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You agree then that religion, faith or indeed god are not needed for gaining and keeping a sense of morality?
    No 'religion, faith' has had or ever will have a monopoly on any aspect of morality. We are designed with self consciousness and volition, requisite to choosing the course of conduct individually and collectively which will obtain and preserve freedom.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 08:27
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists
    as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures
    [fathers, coaches, bosses] at an early point in their lives?

If you are asking if [b]in reality
    a majority of atheists [i]"gradually acqu ...[text shortened]... sn't mean it's real.

Your question with all that it implies is also, as ever, insulting.[/b]
    "Your question with all that it implies is also, as ever, insulting."

All interpersonal human communications require initial coding and subsequent decoding of thought and information. Both sender and recipient have joint responsibility for accuracy. Something was superimposed since no insult was intended.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 14:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    " In 1889, at age forty-four, he suffered a collapse and a complete loss of his mental faculties. The breakdown was later ascribed to atypical general paresis due to tertiary syphilis, but this diagnosis has come into question.[46] Nietzsche lived his remaining years in the care of his mother until her death in 1897, after which he fell under the care of his s ...[text shortened]... act this misconception of his ideas."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche
    Reading about him I discovered that he acquired syphilis in a brothel. The only controversy is to whether it was a gay or straight brothel.

Isn't it ironic that the very teachings he railed against, namely Biblical teachings, could have saved his life had he followed them?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 14:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    he did, he grew a huge moustache and couldn't get a chick because of it.
  15. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 14:522 edits
    "Your question with all that it implies is also, as ever, insulting."

All interpersonal human communications require initial coding and subsequent decoding of thought and information. Both sender and recipient have joint responsibility for accuracy. Something was superimposed since no insult was intended.
    To give you an idea of googlefudge's point, would you have been as indifferent if I had posted:

'Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that Christians believe in God because they were abused by their parents when they were young, thus creating a complex desire for an authoritarian/love/abuse relationship.'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree