1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 17:54
    Originally posted by daniel58
    YES!
    take the beam out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck from your nieghbors
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 00:583 edits
    Originally posted by darvlay
    So you'd approach some homosexual couple on the street, who are minding their own business, and tell them to their face how they are living in sin and should be ashamed of themselves?

You would do that? Or at least you feel that this should be done?
    I think the question should be asked, should those of faith rebuke those who are not of faith regarding their sin? Can the two even agree to the term "sin"?

Looking at Christs example, we do not see him rebuking sinners....unless it was those who were the religious leaders of his day. As for the religious leaders, they knew perfectly well what sin was but ignored their own just the same. For the average sinner, he simply became a shepherd to the lost, not the rebellious.
  3. Lowlands paradise
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 04:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think the question should be asked, should those of faith rebuke those who are not of faith regarding their sin? Can the two even agree to the term "sin"?

Looking at Christs example, we do not see him rebuking sinners....unless it was those who were the religious leaders of his day. As for the religious leaders, they knew perfectly well what sin was bu ...[text shortened]... he same. For the average sinner, he simply became a shepherd to the lost, not the rebellious.
    Good question. I am not a Christian. I just wonder why some Christians call gay people sinners and want to rebuke them. Where did Christ call them sinners or rebuked them? It seems to me pretty arrogant when followers of Christ seem to know better than Him.

Besides that we live in a open society with many different believes and disbelieves. Does it make sense to rebuke people of different Faith because they do not live according to the standard of your own belief system?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 11:231 edit
    Originally posted by souverein
    Good question. I am not a Christian. I just wonder why some Christians call gay people sinners and want to rebuke them. Where did Christ call them sinners or rebuked them? It seems to me pretty arrogant when followers of Christ seem to know better than Him.

Besides that we live in a open society with many different believes and disbelieves. Does it make ...[text shortened]... of different Faith because they do not live according to the standard of your own belief system?
    In short, according to the Bible, Christ did not comdemn the world for their sin, rather, he came to convict them of their sin. He came to be a light into the world so that others would be attracted and also become lights themselves. However, when it came to those who proported to be lights unto the world and who were not, he turned ugly!! 😠

After all, the message and "light" is confusing if it is preached with hypocrisy. How then is one to know if the message is "true" if it is preaced without example?
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 12:22
    ... However, when it came to those who proported to be lights unto the world and who were not, he turned ugly!! 😠

After all, the message and "light" is confusing if it is preached with hypocrisy. How then is one to know if the message is "true" if it is preaced without example?
    Ugly? Really?

Isn't that a subjective concept?

IMO, Christ pretty much loved the dim lights too...

Which seems pretty beautiful to me...

Beauty...another subjective concept.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 12:473 edits
    In short, according to the Bible, Christ did not comdemn the world for their sin, rather, he came to convict them of their sin. He came to be a light into the world so that others would be attracted and also become lights themselves. However, when it came to those who proported to be lights unto the world and who were not, he turned ugly!! 😠

After all, pocrisy. How then is one to know if the message is "true" if it is preaced without example?

You've shown time and again what a hypocrite and bigot you are. You advocate actively rebuking homosexuals for their "sin", yet you wouldn't actively rebuke the obese for their gluttony, the wealthy for their greed, etc.. You advocate ostracizing homosexuals from your church for their "sin", yet you don't ostracize yourself from your church for your own sins. Your hypocrisy and bigotry are clear indeed. If you ever wonder why so many view Christians as hypocrites, it's because of people like you.

What are you but one of "those who proport to be lights unto the world and who [are] not"?
  7. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 14:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]After all, the message and "light" is confusing if it is preached with hypocrisy. How then is one to know if the message is "true" if it is preaced without example?

You've shown time and again what a hypocrite and bigot you are. You advocate actively rebuking homosexuals for their "sin", yet you wouldn't actively rebuke the obese for their glutt ...[text shortened]... you but one of "those who proport to be lights unto the world and who [are] not"?[/b]
    Hope you don't mind me butting in here......

Whilst I can see exactly what you mean , I guess in his mind Whodey doesn't see it as hypocrisy. I think the churches attitude towards homosexuality is backward and quite appalling at times , but I know some good , solid people who hold these type of views.

I think it's because a) they haven't thought through their position properly , b) they struggle with the implications of accepting homosexuality and what it would mean for their faith c) they are just ignorant of the facts and wider science.

I personally have been helped in my life and loved by people who hold similar views. They were there for me when I needed it and gave up their valuable time and money. That counts for a lot in my book.

I would imagine there are many who are not like this and can treat homosexuals really badly , but there are others who aren't like that. The true definition of a hypocrite (re homosexuality)would be someone who is gay but in public condemns it.

I'm not defending something that can't be defended really , but I just think (as usual) that you have looked at things too "all or nothing" again?

Do you think this is fair comment? Don't you think sometimes you can throw the baby out with the bath water?
  8. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 17:18
    Originally posted by knightmeister

Whilst I can see exactly what you mean , I guess in his mind Whodey doesn't see it as hypocrisy. I think the churches attitude towards homosexuality is backward and quite appalling at times , but I know some good , solid people who hold these type of views.

I think it's because a) they haven't thought ...[text shortened]... air comment? Don't you think sometimes you can throw the baby out with the bath water?
    I recently re-read Antigone, and the end of your post reminded me of the "all or nothing" polar opposites in Antigone and Creon. Meanwhile Haemon and the chorus are pleading for reason and thoughtfulness to win out. When people refuse to listen to reasonable arguments, tragedy will inevitably ensue.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 20:49
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Have you ever been rebuked?
    no but I sad it to someone a work once.
  10. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 21:42
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    no but I sad it to someone a work once.
    I can totally picture it.
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I can totally picture it.
    RB's confused "bukake" for "rebuke". They are pretty close and I can see how he made the mistake.

Have you ever bukake'd anyone Doctor? If so, was it done in the name of the Lord?

Edit: Wouldn't you love to work with RBHill?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 02:33

I think it's because a) they haven't thought ...[text shortened]... air comment? Don't you think sometimes you can throw the baby out with the bath water?
    I think my mistake was discussing this with a nonbeliever like TOO. What possible reason would I do such a thing when they are outside the Christian faith? I would not approach a nonbeliever in such a way as I would a believer. Again, Jesus approached and rebuked the religious leaders of this day for their hyporcrisy because they were leading people astray. That is why I support confronting the religious leaders ONLY who I think have gone astray.

Of course, the goal is conviction, not condemnation. But how can one have conviction when we cannot even agree what we should be convicted about which is the sin in question?

having said that, there are those who are "backward" and honestly "hate" homosexuals or fear them, however, that is not the example Christ gave us. Although his words were harsh, they were spot on and meant to effect change and was grounded in love.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 02:36
    Originally posted by hakima
    Ugly? Really?

Isn't that a subjective concept?

IMO, Christ pretty much loved the dim lights too...

Which seems pretty beautiful to me...

Beauty...another subjective concept.
    What do you call publically calling the religous leaders a brood of vipors and hypocrites? What about taking a whip to them?

Of course, you could argue that this was not grounded in love, but I beg to differ. As the saying goes, sometimes love must be tough. I know, parents at times need to get ugly in order to be loving so as to correct their children
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 03:011 edit
    I think my mistake was discussing this with a nonbeliever like TOO. What possible reason would I do such a thing when they are outside the Christian faith? I would not approach a nonbeliever in such a way as I would a believer. Again, Jesus approached and rebuked the religious leaders of this day for their hyporcrisy because they were leading people astray his words were harsh, they were spot on and meant to effect change and was grounded in love.
    So now it's only "leaders". Not too long ago it was also members. And if I recall correctly at one time it was any homosexual that would attend your church.

You use the Bible as a weapon to further you bigotry. You point to the Bible and say that you do this because it is "sin". However you don't apply this evenly to all sins. You allow greed, gluttony, etc. to go by with only a wink. You allow your own sins. This is hypocrisy.

You're nothing more than a modern day Pharisee believing that you're so much more pious than others (in this case homosexuals).
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 03:1410 edits

I think it's because a) they haven't thought air comment? Don't you think sometimes you can throw the baby out with the bath water?
    Even if whodey "doesn't see it as hypocrisy" or bigotry does it make it any less so? Lot's of racists don't think they are bigoted either. Like whodey, they believe that so long as THEY "keep their place" everything is fine.

You really need to get a better understanding of hypocrisy. What makes him a hypocrite is that he chooses to ostracize members of a group because of its "sin", while allowing his own sins and the sins of friends. It's this double standard that makes it hypocrisy.

If you aren't defending it, then what's the point of your post? Your post certainly reads like at least a partial defense. I'm sure there are member of the KKK who "haven't thought through their position properly", give "time and money" to others, etc. Are they similarly "good , solid people"?

Bravo to Deucer for standing up for what's right and saying:
    "take the beam out of your own eye before trying to remove the speck from your nieghbors"

No doubt whodey dismisses Deucer as an "nonbeliever" who couldn't possibly understand his position a "believer" would.

Evidently Deucer understands hypocrisy better than you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree