1. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 23:57
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's sacreligious to swear on a bible in court. I'm assuming it's not but I also recall it written somewhere in the bible that it's forbidden to swear on Gods name. I don't mean take Gods name in vain either. I mean swear an oath in Gods name. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 00:30
    Originally posted by mokko
    I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's sacreligious to swear on a bible in court. I'm assuming it's not but I also recall it written somewhere in the bible that it's forbidden to swear on Gods name. I don't mean take Gods name in vain either. I mean swear an oath in Gods name. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    I know what you're talking about but I don't think you'll find that in the Bible.
  3. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 00:39
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I know what you're talking about but I don't think you'll find that in the Bible.
    I thought for sure there was a verse on it somewhere.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 00:55
    Occasionally this comes up in a court trial and the way around it is the judge will ask the person to "promise to tell the truth." I doubt Rwingett would touch a Bible much less swear an oath upon it. However, I most often hear about this when it involves very fundamentalist sects.
  5. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 01:18
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Occasionally this comes up in a court trial and the way around it is the judge will ask the person to "promise to tell the truth." I doubt Rwingett would touch a Bible much less swear an oath upon it. However, I most often hear about this when it involves very fundamentalist sects.
    So there is a verse in the bible pertaining to swearing on Gods name?
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 01:29
    Perhaps you are referring to a portion of the Sermon on the Mount: Matthew 5: 33-37

Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
  7. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 01:37
    I am not too sure about the judicial system in Canada, but when I have appear in Australian courts (once as a juror and the other as an expert witness) you are given the choice of swearing an oath on the bible or taking an affirmation - which I took.

If I remember the affirmation went along the lines of “I solemnly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”
  8. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 04:07
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Perhaps you are referring to a portion of the Sermon on the Mount: Matthew 5: 33-37

Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, ...[text shortened]... ur 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
    Ummmm...so what exactly does that mean?
  9. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 04:08
    Originally posted by STRATOSPH3R3
    I am not too sure about the judicial system in Canada, but when I have appear in Australian courts (once as a juror and the other as an expert witness) you are given the choice of swearing an oath on the bible or taking an affirmation - which I took.

If I remember the affirmation went along the lines of “I solemnly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”
    We're given the same choice here as well. They ask you if you object to swearing on the bible. Which I never seen as a problem before but was wondering if it was actually against the word of God to do so.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 04:12
    Ummmm...so what exactly does that mean?
    I'm going out on a limb for this one, but...

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Ergo, no need to call upon some other outside source as the surety to one's word. Your word should be right (and free of liens) as rain: further co-signing by anyone or anything else is both presumptuous and unnecessary.
  11. Subscriberstratosph3R3
    The Peacemaker
    Out of Lockdown
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 06:47
    We're given the same choice here as well. They ask you if you object to swearing on the bible. Which I never seen as a problem before but was wondering if it was actually against the word of God to do so.
    I suppose it depends on what regard you have for God. If the love of Him is before your eyes, you won't lie. If you lie, you are holding Him in contempt and by taking His name to give untruths (and lets face everyone lies sometimes) credibility, you are taking His name in vain.

Personally I don't believe anyone should have to invoke God's Name to prove their integrity.
  12. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:12
    So is swearing on a bible in the court of law deemed sacrelgious?
  13. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:14
    Isn't one of the Ten Commandments "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain?" Or something like that?
  14. Standard membermokko
    Sinner
    Where I belong
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:20
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    Isn't one of the Ten Commandments "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain?" Or something like that?
    Taking the lords name in vain is different than swearing on Gods name.
  15. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 09:281 edit
    I understand what you're talking about. I know one Anglican minister who, because of his ministry, is often in court as a character witness. He refuses to swear on the Bible, and takes the secular promise to tell the truth instead.

The passage in question is in the Gospels, it's not the Ten Commandments. It says not to swear on anything, not specifically the scriptures - your word should be good enough. Matthew 5:33-37.

Sometimes lawyers challenge him because they think the reason he didn't swear on the Bible is that he's not telling the whole truth in court. They generally get an extensive lesson in theology for their troubles. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree