1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 17:21
    I heard a quick clip on New Radio 88 about (I believe) an army Chaplin who is on a water only hunger strike. Seems when he's in uniform the army doesn't want him going on about Jesus.

He's not going to eat until they let him shout it from the mountains.

Well, is he going to crack and eat? I don't think the army should cave on this. I think this guy should get another job, and have a sandwich. Anyone have more info on this subject?

P-
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 17:54
    The military says he's not allowed to pray "in Jesus' name" while acting as a Chaplin. Apparently, military chaplains are supposed to pretend to be Unitarians or something, no matter what their personal beliefs are.

Well, I disagree with military on this one, but it's the military's decision. If this is their policy, then Lieutenant Gordon James Klingenschmitt should never have agreed to be a chaplain. If this is a new policy for the military, then the Lt. is only doing what is conscience demands of him.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1205/288297.html
  3. Standard memberKnightWulfe
    Chess Samurai
    Yes
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 17:56
    Originally posted by Coletti
    The military says he's not allowed to pray "in Jesus' name" while acting as a Chaplin. Apparently, military chaplains are supposed to pretend to be Unitarians or something, no matter what their personal beliefs are.

Well, I disagree with military on this one, but it's the military's decision. If this is their policy, then Lieutenant Gordon James Kling ...[text shortened]... ng what is conscience demands of him.

Given the freedom of religion - it makes sense. Separation of church and state. Simple as that.
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:48
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I heard a quick clip on New Radio 88 about (I believe) an army Chaplin who is on a water only hunger strike. Seems when he's in uniform the army doesn't want him going on about Jesus.

Well, is he going to crack and eat? I don't think the army should cave on this. I think this guy should get another job, and have a sandwich. Anyone have more info on this subject?

P-
    A chaplain is supposed to be endorsed by a religious body. However, the process of becoming a certified chaplain is quite rigorous I can tell you. It is a lot more than "having the call." One of the points of examination is the ability to represent one's faith tradition and also validate, affirm and minister to people outside of one's own faith tradition. I will give you an example. I know a rabbi and he shared a story with me when he was receiving his chaplain's training where he was called in the middle of the night to be with a family who had just lost a loved one. He knew that the family was Catholic. What was he to do in his ministry? Should he have ministered out of his Jewish tradition or meet the family on their terms. He did the right thing and sought out the guidance of a priest and ministered to them from their tradition.

I would venture to guess that this individual in the military does not have the necessary qualifications or temperment.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 18:55
    Another thought. It seems that Bush is the "commander in chief" and he is allowed to talk about Jesus all he wants. Go figure.
  6. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    30 Dec '05 21:16

P-
    This is unfortunate. The Christian brigade now has more ammunition for their claim of being "under attack". I can almost hear Pat Robertson now... though I seriously wish I couldn't.

I agree with Phlabibit. This chaplan should request a discharge and a hearing, state his case, and get himself booted out of the Army. Once he's out he's free to preach whatever he likes as often as he likes.

And for those of you who wonder why the chaplan should have to leave the Army, ask yourself how you would feel if he were shouting about Allah, Muhammad or Islam.

The military has rules for a reason. You either abide by them or they put their foot in your @ss.
  7. Forgotten
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 06:102 edits
    This is a prime example of how the world is being driven into a
    godless religion. A docrtine of humanist beliefs without god.

What is a chaplain who has no God??? I mean ,does he preach from the New York Times, or what does he base his "faith" on if not on some form of God?

I think the military is just an arm of the beast.I look to soon see a
    uniting of things monetary and political into a one world godless government.

I also look for us to be implanted with an identification device.The mark of the beast , but then i read all those wierd sites about 666 and the beast etc etc lol

We for sure eventually will find out if revelation and the bible prophecies are true.
  8. Standard memberchancremechanic
    Islamofascists Suck!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 08:33

P-
    Why? If he's paid to counsel Christian sailors, then praying in the name of Jesus is doing his job, just as a military Imam praying in the name of Allah is doing his his job. If he gets out in front of traffic in uniform shouting that God is coming , then that's another story, which isn't the case. If he's holding services in the chapel, you mean to tell me, that he can't refer to Jesus as the savior? That is politially-correct ass-wipe. What is this world coming to? 🙄
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 09:58

P-
    I'm actually in favour of religious people starving themselves to death.
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    31 Dec '05 12:12
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I'm actually in favour of religious people starving themselves to death.
    Surely, poison is quicker?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 16:12

Well, I disagree with military on this one, but it's the military's decision. If this is their policy, then Lieutenant Gordon James Kling ...[text shortened]... ng what is conscience demands of him.

this from your site should answer that:
    "Klingenschmitt became a priest in the Evangelical Episcopal Church after spending eleven years as an Air Force officer. He said he transferred to the Navy and took a demotion from major to lieutenant to become a military chaplain."

And since a chaplain is part of an organization that includes people of many faiths where he's not paid by the Navy to proselytize he can cut out being a drama queen and either do his duty or leave the Navy.
    His heart might belong to God, but his butt belongs to the Navy!
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 16:18

Perhaps being a chaplain for the US Army isn't so much about ones personal beliefs as it is about being a generic spiritual guide to others. As Phlabby wrote, maybe he should find a different job.
  13. Forgotten
    Moves
    01 Jan '06 16:56
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Surely, poison is quicker?
    Yes,poison is faster,
    and don't call me Shirley.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree