1. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 23:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Go there, preach Christianity, come back, then we'll talk.
    There are thriving, secure, longstanding christian communities, churches and missions in all the places I have mentioned.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 23:571 edit
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    There are thriving, secure, longstanding christian communities, churches and missions in all the places I have mentioned.
    I'm sure there is evidence of some Christianity, but could you provide evidence of what you are claiming?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '10 23:59
    Go there, preach Christianity, come back, then we'll talk.
    perhaps your friend might be interested in Uzbekistan, that haven of tolerance as he put it, for secure, longstanding christian communities

http://www.jw-media.org/uzb/index.htm

indeed perhaps we can go through his list country be country pointing out just how long-standing and secure those Christian minorities actually are.
  4. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 00:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    perhaps your friend might be interested in Uzbekistan, that haven of tolerance as he put it, for secure, longstanding christian communities

http://www.jw-media.org/uzb/index.htm

indeed perhaps we can go through his list country be country pointing out just how long-standing and secure those Christian minorities actually are.
    It's a rough world and there is intercommunal violence and instances of injustice the whole globe over. Who said it was a "haven of tolerance"? Liar. Are you claiming that Uzbekistan is an Islamic Republic with death sentences for apostasy on its books? There have been christian communities building churches and worshipping in Uzbekistan for centuries. Divegeester's "observation" - or his wanton generalization and smear - fails. But I gather you subscribe to it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 00:34
    I'm sure there is evidence of some Christianity, but could you provide evidence of what you are claiming?
    i think we shall now need to scrap Malaysia from the now rapidly diminishing list,

http://wwrn.org/articles/?place=malaysia

what was that again, secure longstanding????
  6. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 00:46
    i think we shall now need to scrap Malaysia from the now rapidly diminishing list,

http://wwrn.org/articles/?place=malaysia

what was that again, secure longstanding????
    Hundreds of thousands of christians go to church every Sunday across Malaysia. Many villages have a majority christian population. The communities have been there for centuries. Hence the word 'longstanding'. Hundreds of thousands of christians will go to church next Sunday. Same goes for neighbouring Indonesia where there are literally millions of christians. You still cannot substantiate divegeester's jaundiced hyperbole and sweeping generalization. Maybe you should try insinuating that I approve of death sentences for apostasy or that I am claiming that there is no problem with reactionary culture, violence and fundamentalism. Maybe that'd "prove" divegeester right?
  7. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 00:501 edit
    Claiming that the entire Muslim world is every bit as bad as its worst parts is no recipe for conciliation - or for confronting extremism and injustice where it exists - either now or in the future. But then again, people who make such claims have a different agenda, I suppose.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '10 19:49
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    Claiming that the entire Muslim world is every bit as bad as its worst parts is no recipe for conciliation - or for confronting extremism and injustice where it exists - either now or in the future. But then again, people who make such claims have a different agenda, I suppose.
    No one claimed that, why don't you try following the thread instead of making your own up!
  9. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 01:22
    No one claimed that, why don't you try following the thread instead of making your own up!
    You said "I'm just convinced that when the Islamic population is in the majority, there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. That's not cynicism, just observation." This is in the context of grotesque 'justice' and punishment in certain places and cultural environments that have been highlighted in this thread and the other one. It prompted you to make an unsubstantiated sweeping genralization about all places where the Muslims are in the majority. You claimed that this was based on your "observation" and yet you cannot substantiate this in the face of several examples of Islamic populations being in the majority and yet predominantly moderate - and certainly a million cultural miles away from putting people to death for apostasy. I have made nothing up, divegeester.
  10. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 01:31
    why don't you try following the thread instead of making your own up!
    Cute retort. Tiny element of ad hominem in it. Nice.

Why not stick to the topic and just make your case that "there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim" in places such as Turkey and Indonesia?
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 11:32
    I agree with you. I'm just convinced that when the Islamic population is in the majority, there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim. That's not cynicism, just observation.
    I've back-packed around Morocco twice, once with a couple of friends and once with my then girlfriend. From my experience the only person i met who i would call a fanatic was a British Muslim and his son, who were from Leicester, outside the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca. The Moroccan people who offered to put us up in their houses for the night at no cost weren't fanatics, neither were the countless people who would stop us for conversations, the men who gave up their seats on buses for my white girlfriend, and neither were the Muslim girls who would walk around the beach in their bikini's.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '10 11:42
    And there are fanatic bloodthirsty militant fundamentalistic christians everywhere in the world, not to be forgotten, even in USA.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 00:30
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And there are fanatic bloodthirsty militant fundamentalistic christians everywhere in the world, not to be forgotten, even in USA.
    what have you say with regard to the bomb blast in Stockholm Fabian? Was it militant Christians who carried it out because someone had insulted Jesus? After all, there were caricatures of Christ also, how many Christians vowed death on other religions after they were published?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977524
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 02:14
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I've back-packed around Morocco twice, once with a couple of friends and once with my then girlfriend. From my experience the only person i met who i would call a fanatic was a British Muslim and his son, who were from Leicester, outside the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca. The Moroccan people who offered to put us up in their houses for the night at no c ...[text shortened]... lfriend, and neither were the Muslim girls who would walk around the beach in their bikini's.
    Thank you Proper Knob.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '10 15:391 edit
    what have you say with regard to the bomb blast in Stockholm Fabian? Was it militant Christians who carried it out because someone had insulted Jesus? After all, there were caricatures of Christ also, how many Christians vowed death on other religions after they were published?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977524
    Up til now, we don't know much about it. To early to speculate. We have to wait until later to be sure what was going on.

My guess is that it is fundamentalists that has the responsability. Beware of the fundamentalists, because it's they who becomes tterrorists. The religion they belong to is irrelevant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree