1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:19
    So sayeth the bible:
    marriage is between man and woman: bride who cannot prove her virginity is stoned to death. generally arranged, with the bride having no say over the matter.

marriage is between widow and her brother in law: Gen 38: 6-10

marriage is between rapist and victim: the victim must marry her rapist and be raped again and again. (well it's not rape any more, they did get married and therefore the husband has the right to sex) Deut 22: 28-29

read the link provided for verses on the following:

marriage is between man, woman and concubines
    marriage is between man, woman and woman and woman
    marriage is between man, woman and her female slaves

marriage is between man and his prisoner of war

marriage is between male slave and female slave (female slave is assigned to the male by the master, with neither slave having a say in this)

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2008/09/bible-forbids-homosexuality-west-wing-michael-moore-gay/

so yes, whenever you hear someone saying the bible dictates that marriage is between man and woman, remind them what is also in the bible about marriage.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:34
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    I think you like to use scatter shot.
    You like to throw a lot of stuff hoping something will stick to the wall. I think you like to throw a lot of half truths out here.

bride who cannot prove her virginity is stoned to death.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your reference for this one ?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:371 edit
    Marriage in the bible, has also been between a man and 1,000 other women (Solomon).
    Marriage was also between a man and his sister (Abraham & Sarah)
    Marriage was also between a man and his cousin (Jacob & Rebecca)
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by sonship

[b] bride who cannot prove her virginity is stoned to death.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's your reference for this one ?[/b]
    Deuteronomy 22:20-21:
    "If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death."
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:54
    You like to throw a lot of stuff hoping something will stick to the wall. I think you like to throw a lot of half truths out here.

read the damn link. i told you i am not gonna write the references to all of them. its the picture with those neat little figures.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 18:55
    Originally posted by vivify
    Marriage in the bible, has also been between a man and 1,000 other women (Solomon).
    well, there was plenty of sister and cousin marriage right after adam and eve
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 19:01
    well, there was plenty of sister and cousin marriage right after adam and eve
    Right, but Christians would simply claim that was out of necessity, since there were only two humans to start with. I mentioned Abraham, because there was no reason for him to marry his sister.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 20:25

So what can we infer from this question? Either you read the Bible, read the passage about stoning (alleged) non-virgins to death, shrugged, and then forgot about it, or you didn't read the Bible. Which one is it?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 20:48
    Is this a problem? Cousin marriages are quite common. I know of several in my own family tree, even a case of two brothers marrying two sisters that were their cousins.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 21:571 edit
    1.Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines and was warned against procuring wives,

And King Solomon himself loved many foreign wives along with the daughter of Pharaoh, Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian and Hittite women, from the nations of whom Jehovah had said to the sons of Israel: ‘You must not go in among them, and they themselves should not come in among you; truly they will incline your heart to follow their gods.’ It was to them that Solomon clung to love them. And he came to have seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines; and his wives gradually inclined his heart. And it came about in the time of Solomon’s growing old that his wives themselves had inclined his heart to follow other gods; and his heart did not prove to be complete with Jehovah his God like the heart of David his father. - 1 Kings 11

We must assume that you simply made the number 1000 up and were unaware of Gods warning or at very least somehow failed to mention it.

2. Sarah was actually Abraham's half sister, we must assume that you simply made it up that he was his sister or failed somehow to report the matter accurately.

3. So marriage was between cousins, big deal.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 21:591 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So what can we infer from this question? Either you read the Bible, read the passage about stoning (alleged) non-virgins to death, shrugged, and then forgot about it, or you didn't read the Bible. Which one is it?
    You expect him to know and remember every single verse in a book as large as the Bible? Dont you think you are being rather unreasonable, after all if you read it could you remember every single verse? No? well then.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

We must assume that you simply made the number 1000 up
    700 plus 300 equals.....what? I know you're a creationist, but give it a try.

"Sarah was actually Abraham's half sister, we must assume that you simply made it up that he was his sister or failed somehow to report the matter accurately."

Does that make it better?
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 22:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You expect him to know and remember every single verse in a book as large as the Bible? Dont you think you are being rather unreasonable, after all if you read it could you remember every single verse? No? well then.
    That's a very important verse in the Bible. It's not just some esoteric scripture very that only scholars know about. A Christian who spends as much time as Sonship being a biblical apologist should've known about such an oft quoted verse.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 22:48
    So sayeth the bible:
    marriage is between man and woman: bride who cannot prove her virginity is stoned to death. generally arranged, with the bride having no say over the matter.

marriage is between widow and her brother in law: Gen 38: 6-10

marriage is between rapist and victim: the victim must marry her rapist and be raped again and again. (well it ...[text shortened]... es that marriage is between man and woman, remind them what is also in the bible about marriage.
    Where in the Bible does it say a bride who can not prove her virginity is stoned to death? I believe you are confusing the Quran and islamic practice with the Holy Bible.

A widow woman can get married according to your own reference from the Holy Bible, which prove your first assertion incorrect.

I did not check your source because I can tell it is not from the Holy Bible, but from some one with propaganda to support an evil agenda.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Jun '15 22:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Is this a problem? Cousin marriages are quite common. I know of several in my own family tree, even a case of two brothers marrying two sisters that were their cousins.
    It may or may not be a problem. A bad mutation is more likely to cause problems, like sickle cell anemia, if both husband and wife have the mutation. And that is more likely, if the husband and wife were brother and sister or very close relatives.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree