1. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 19:29
    Sanger is looked at as a pioneer feminist and heroine, Hitler a mass murderer. Yet their ideologies parallel each other. Example Hitler's "Final Solution" v. Sanger's "Negro Project". Just wanted to get some thoughts on this as I am doing a research paper as to why one is a heroine and the other a villain.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 20:00
    Originally posted by clgray2001
    Sanger is looked at as a pioneer feminist and heroine, Hitler a mass murderer. Yet their ideologies parallel each other. Example Hitler's "Final Solution" v. Sanger's "Negro Project". Just wanted to get some thoughts on this as I am doing a research paper as to why one is a heroine and the other a villain.
    I just googled Sanger and apparently she did a lot to promote the universal availability of birth control to women. That sounds like a good thing.

Of course, it also shows she had some pretty despicable views also.

Her legacy apparently had some good things in it - unless you think universal availability of birth control is a bad thing.

Society does tend to ignore the negatives with some people.

In Hitler's case, there were some good things that came out of the regime - advances in rocketry, an advanced highway system, plus some others. The problem is, these are things that could have been invented (and likely would have) without the need to murder millions of people.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 20:24
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Her legacy apparently had some good things in it - unless you think universal availability of birth control is a bad thing.
    Many, if not most, of the Christians who post on this site will argue that access to birth control is a bad thing.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 20:44
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Many, if not most, of the Christians who post on this site will argue that access to birth control is a bad thing.
    Well, I never understood why birth control is seen as a bad thing. They are free to argue that all they want.
  5. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:101 edit
    it's Adolf. You may get extra marks for spelling his name right.
  6. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:18
    Margaret Sanger advocated coercive sterilazation , mandatory segregation and rehabilitative concentration camps for all dysgenic stocks. She founded the Negro Project which was a deceptive plan to "exterminate colored people". Until the outbreak of WWII she openly endorsed abortion, infanticide sterilzation and euthanasia programs of the Third Reich.
    She believed in restricting immigration based on race. She also believed that there should be no charity to the poor and inferior (due to mental or physical handicaps) as it "encouraged them to reproduce prolifically. If they were sterilized the unfit would slowly be winnowed out as chaff is from wheat.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 08:33
    Maybe you should ask yourself who is looking at them. You say "Sanger is looked at as a pioneer feminist and heroine", by whom? I certainly don't.
    Hitler, in his early years, was certainly looked at as a hero by many people.
    What you must realize is that to say "one is a heroine and the other a villain" is really talking about the views of the majority of the people you have information from. I understand your judgment that Hitler is a villain, but where do you get your judgment that Sanger is a heroine from?
  8. Joined
    04 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:14
    Gloria Steinam and the National Organization for Women look at her as a heroine for the feminist movement, Planned Parenthood and all their advocates, as she was the founder are some that see her as a heroine. With bothe Sanger and Hitler dead and all their deeds written down in history one is looked at as a villain and the other a heroine. Of course, if you criticize her you'll be labeled a right wing anti abortion fanatic. (wihich is not a bad thingI might add). Just trying to see why her legacy is treated a lot kinder than Hitler's even though they had the same motives - racial purity
  9. round and round
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 03:05
    Gloria Steinam and the National Organization for Women look at her as a heroine for the feminist movement, Planned Parenthood and all their advocates, as she was the founder are some that see her as a heroine. With bothe Sanger and Hitler dead and all their deeds written down in history one is looked at as a villain and the other a heroine. Of course, if ...[text shortened]... cy is treated a lot kinder than Hitler's even though they had the same motives - racial purity
    What do you think the reason is? It's obvious that there SHOULDN'T be such a disparity in their legacies! With some objective examination it becomes plain that they were very similar ideologically, that is, that were both advocates of Applied Darwinism! It's the filters that we get most of our information through (most high school and college textbooks and the mainstream media) that are the problem and the reason for the disparity. So the real question is why do THEY view/portray Hitler and Sanger so differently? Simply, Sanger is their heroine because she promoted fornication. Ask yourself why after reading a high school social studies book you would come away believing Phillip Morris was a demon, Hugh Hefner is a liberator, Columbus desecrated paradise, etc.
  10. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 04:17
    Originally posted by dizzyfingers
    What do you think the reason is? It's obvious that there SHOULDN'T be such a disparity in their legacies! With some objective examination it becomes plain that they were very similar ideologically, that is, that were both advocates of Applied Darwinism! It's the filters that we get most of our information through (most high school and college textbooks ...[text shortened]... ng Phillip Morris was a demon, Hugh Hefner is a liberator, Columbus desecrated paradise, etc.
    Finniest post for the wrong reasons that I've read in a long time.
  11. round and round
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 04:25
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Finniest post for the wrong reasons that I've read in a long time.
    Can you fill me in on the joke? I feel left out ...
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 07:12
    Gloria Steinam and the National Organization for Women look at her as a heroine for the feminist movement, Planned Parenthood and all their advocates, as she was the founder are some that see her as a heroine.
    Are you sure about that? I suspect that a significant number of the members of Planned Parenthood would despise her if they knew enough about her.

With bothe Sanger and Hitler dead and all their deeds written down in history one is looked at as a villain and the other a heroine.
    There are a number of factors involved:
    1. More people by far know about Hitler.
    2. Hitler killed more people.

You claim they had similar views yet Sanger did not actually gas any Jews. It wouldn't surprise me if there were hundreds of other people with the same views alive today but because they haven't killed anyone they are not labeled as such bad villians as Hitler. Deeds are more important than views when it comes to labeling. Sanger did good deeds, Hitler did bad ones. I believe a number of people have been sainted for deeds they did for the wrong motives.

Of course, if you criticize her you'll be labeled a right wing anti abortion fanatic.
    By who? I doubt that any sane person who knows much about here would do such a thing - but there are a lot of insane people in the world.

Just trying to see why her legacy is treated a lot kinder than Hitler's even though they had the same motives - racial purity
    Because their legacy's were different even if their motives were the same. I'm sure Hitler would have had a lot better reputation if he had merely forced all the Jews to go on birth control pills.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree