1. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 02:141 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just a question though. After you welcome someone into the church who continues to live a life that your church does not condone, what happens then?
    Everything is done in private in the LDS Church. If the person does not repent, that is their choice and between them and God. If they are excommunicated, they can still go to Church if they wish. The only way I would ever find out is if they told me and I would still welcome them. It's not for me to judge anyone.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 02:28
    Originally posted by gtbiking4life
    Everything is done in private in the LDS Church. If the person does not repent, that is their choice and between them and God. If they are excommunicated, they can still go to Church if they wish. The only way I would ever find out is if they told me and I would still welcome them. It's not for me to judge anyone.
    I appreciate your churches stand on that. But if that person has been excommunicated what are the consequences? I agree that they should still be allowed in the church but are there any restrictions? Thanks...
  3. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 02:391 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]I don’t believe the LDS Church is going against the teachings of Jesus. Jesus never condoned sin. Perhaps you would like to explain how the Church is going against the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I explained what I meant by that. It'd probably help if you didn't take statements out of context before responding to them.

Here's the statement in uote]

You can deny being defensive all you like, but it is what it is.[/b]
    To make myself more clear on the subject of accepting the LDS Church and their position.

You wrote the following:

“Surely you are aware that there are Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin. And that there are Christians who support ostracizing homosexuals from their church (especially if they are not celibate).”

The reason I ask for clarification is that you identify yourself as LDS, yet from what I've read, the official LDS position seems to be in line with the above. So it seems that either what I've read is incorrect or you've placed the teachings of Jesus above the teachings of the organization that you are affiliated with. If it's the latter, then I have to give you your props, since so few seem to be willing to do so.

Ostracizing from Church and excommunication are two different things in my opinion and this is where the confusion may be. Being excommunicated simply means becoming a non-member. Ostracized means to exclude, by general consent, from society, friendship, conversation, privileges, etc.

Anyone who is a non-member, including an excommunicated former member can still go to Church so what you have read is not correct from what I can tell. It's members would still welcome them. Everything is done in confidentiality in the LDS Church. Unless someone specifically comes open with the process, we most likely would never know. Even if we did know about someone who has been excommunicated, who are we to judge?

I agree and accept the LDS position on this, which is why I have not spoken out against it. I can't speak against something I agree with.
  4. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 02:48
    I appreciate your churches stand on that. But if that person has been excommunicated what are the consequences? I agree that they should still be allowed in the church but are there any restrictions? Thanks...
    Taking the Sacrament, going through the Temple, and holding a Church calling are a few examples.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 03:07
    Taking the Sacrament, going through the Temple, and holding a Church calling are a few examples.
    Sorry but I don't know what any of that means. But are there any restrictions as for as associating with that person in a social setting?
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 12:221 edit
    Sorry but I don't know what any of that means. But are there any restrictions as for as associating with that person in a social setting?
    he is a Latter day Saint. the sacraments would be communion and baptism, going through the Temple is a religious rite with its foundations in freemasonry (this I know for a fact) and the church calling is the particular function they served in the church i.e. evangelist, administrator etc...

edit: they wouldn't be missing much
  7. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 13:111 edit
    Forgive me, these words are very meaningful to LDS members. Sometimes I assume everyone knows what they are.

Sacrament is an ordinance in which LDS members partake of bread and water in remembrance of Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice. Through this ordinance, LDS members renew the Covenant they made with God when they were baptized.

Temples are literally houses of the Lord. They are holy places of worship where individuals make sacred Covenants with God. Temples are very special places to be.

Callings are what many LDS members receive. There are many different callings in the Church. The Bishop is one such calling. Sunday School teachers are another calling.

As far as not associating with anyone who has been excommunicated. The LDS Church councils are private affairs. More often someone like me (a faithful Church member) does not have that 'need to know' of any results. It is not my place to judge. We can associate with someone in a social setting. Who am I to make judgments on anyone and decide they are not going to repent? I currently know someone who is homosexual and attending Church. Whether he is repentant is between him, the Bishop he is talking to, and God. I don't believe it's any of my business.

Just a question on your beliefs - what happens to those who are not repenting in your Church? How do you know they are not repenting? Is everything made public so you know who you can associate with and who you can't?
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    18 Aug '10 19:19
    Forgive me, these words are very meaningful to LDS members. Sometimes I assume everyone knows what they are.

Sacrament is an ordinance in which LDS members partake of bread and water in remembrance of Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice. Through this ordinance, LDS members renew the Covenant they made with God when they were baptized.

Temples are li ...[text shortened]... nting? Is everything made public so you know who you can associate with and who you can't?
    Thanks for the explinations. I'm going to post this info even though many here hate it when I do this but I'm a slow typist and it would take me forever to do this.
    So read it over and let me know what you think....

Based on the principles of the Hebrew Scriptures, the Christian Greek Scriptures by command and precedent authorize expulsion, or disfellowshipping, from the Christian congregation. By exercising this God-given authority, the congregation keeps itself clean and in good standing before God. The apostle Paul, with the authority vested in him, ordered the expulsion of an incestuous fornicator who had taken his father’s wife. (1Co 5:5, 11, 13) He also exercised disfellowshipping authority against Hymenaeus and Alexander. (1Ti 1:19, 20) Diotrephes, however, was apparently trying to exercise disfellowshipping action wrongly.—3Jo 9, 10.

Some of the offenses that could merit disfellowshipping from the Christian congregation are fornication, adultery, homosexuality, greed, extortion, thievery, lying, drunkenness, reviling, spiritism, murder, idolatry, apostasy, and the causing of divisions in the congregation. (1Co 5:9-13; 6:9, 10; Tit 3:10, 11; Re 21:8) Mercifully, one promoting a sect is warned a first and a second time before such disfellowshipping action is taken against him. In the Christian congregation, the principle enunciated in the Law applies, namely, that two or three witnesses must establish evidence against the accused one. (1Ti 5:19) Those who have been convicted of a practice of sin are reproved Scripturally before the “onlookers,” for example, those who testified concerning the sinful conduct, so that they too may all have a healthy fear of such sin.—1Ti 5:20.

The Christian congregation is also admonished by Scripture to stop socializing with those who are disorderly and not walking correctly but who are not deemed deserving of complete expulsion. Paul wrote the Thessalonian congregation concerning such: “Stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother.”—2Th 3:6, 11, 13-15.

However, regarding any who were Christians but later repudiated the Christian congregation or were expelled from it, the apostle Paul commanded: “Quit mixing in company with” such a one; and the apostle John wrote: “Never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him.”—1Co 5:11; 2Jo 9, 10.

Those who have been expelled may be received back into the congregation if they manifest sincere repentance. (2Co 2:5-8) This also is a protection to the congregation, preventing it from being overreached by Satan in swinging from condoning wrongdoing to the other extreme, becoming harsh and unforgiving.—2Co 2:10, 11.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree