1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 09:192 edits
    KINDNESS

The quality or state of taking an active interest in the welfare of others; friendly and helpful acts or favors. The principal word for “kindness” in the Christian Greek Scriptures is, 'khrestotes'. Jehovah God takes the lead and is the best example of one showing kindness in so many ways toward others, even toward the unthankful and wicked, encouraging them to repentance. (Lu 6:35; Ro 2:4; 11:22; Tit 3:4, 5)

Christians, in turn, under the kindly yoke of Christ (Mt 11:30), are urged to clothe themselves with kindness (Col 3:12; Eph 4:32) and to develop the fruitage of God’s spirit, which includes kindness. (Ga 5:22) In this way they recommend themselves as Gods ministers. (2Co 6:4-6) “Love is . . . kind.” 1Co 13:4.

“Kindness” (or, reasonableness; literally, yieldingness; Greek, 'epieikia'😉 is an outstanding characteristic of Christ Jesus. (2Co 10:1) Paul was treated with unusual “human kindness” (literally, affection for mankind; Greek, 'philanthropia'😉 by the inhabitants of Malta.—Ac 28:2.

Rewards of Kindness

Kindness makes us tactful and thus helps us to maintain a good relationship with others. A tactful person says and does things or handles difficult situations in considerate and inoffensive ways. Whereas a “cruel person” suffers ostracism, “a man of loving-kindness is dealing rewardingly with his own soul.” (Proverbs 11:17) People avoid a cruel person but are drawn to one showing them loving-kindness. Hence, a kind individual has loyal friends, Proverbs 18:24.

Kindness shown to us may be of benefit by making us more compassionate and forgiving.

Become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32) Of course, if we have been forgiven by someone in a kind way, this should increase our own capacity for forgiveness, compassion, and kindness.

🙂
  2. England
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 12:14
    kindness is its own reward
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 12:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    KINDNESS

The quality or state of taking an active interest in the welfare of others; friendly and helpful acts or favors. The principal word for “kindness” in the Christian Greek Scriptures is, 'khrestotes'. Jehovah God takes the lead and is the best example of one showing kindness in so many ways toward others, [b]even toward the unthankful and w ...[text shortened]... ay, this should increase our own capacity for forgiveness, compassion, and kindness.

🙂
    Nice robbie. I mean that sincerely. It is the ideal and the truth.

But, without sounding cynical, how does a Christian account for persecution? Even after showing "kindness"?

I'm reminded of a verse.

Romans 12:18 - If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Do you not think that there is a balance? At what point, if there is one, is kindness wasted on a person? I don't think I would be too kind to someone who was threatening to the point of bodily harm to myself or my loved ones.

Kindness is a principle of living to be applied in general to all within the context of ordinary circumstances, and even in persecution, but not necessarily when some criminally minded individual breaks into the sanctuary of my home.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree