1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 01:14
    In Matthew 26, and Mark 14, Jesus has gone to Gethsemane to pray.

What I truly appreciate about this event is the how "human" Jesus was at that time. "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death", are some of the words He used. Along with "My Father, if it's possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me".

Very powerful.

In my quest to learn about the identity of Jesus, it's this event that wants me to see Jesus as a human man (God's son), but who's just like all of us. Experiencing fear, anguish, anxiety, and the desire to have other humans comfort Him in Gethsemane.

Jesus was just like us. And that's likely why the Jews rejected the notion of Him being the Messiah.

I see Jesus as my 'friend', or 'brother', and it has been extraordinarily difficult to see Him as God.

At that moment, He did NOT want to be tortured and killed, who would? But He obeyed the "Father's" will, and pressed on through the fear and anguish.

I see Him as a friend, and fellow human, dealing with the human experience, more than I see Him as God.

Just wanted to share those personal thoughts.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 01:18
    Good luck with your quest. I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 01:29
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    Thanks for sharing.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 01:37
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Dive.
    And thank you Eladar as well.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 05:281 edit

What I truly appreciate about this event is the how "human" Jesus was at that time. "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death", are some of the words He used. Along with "My Father, if it's possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me".

Very powerful.

In my ...[text shortened]... e human experience, more than I see Him as God.

I usually consider the Gospel of Luke to be the Gospel most emphasizing that humanity of the Son of God.

I think only Luke says that in the Garden of His great trial He was strengthened by an angel.

Luke's desire was to portray Jesus as so utterly human though He was the Son of God.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 05:543 edits
    I see Jesus as my 'friend', or 'brother', and it has been extraordinarily difficult to see Him as God.

At that moment, He did NOT want to be tortured and killed, who would? But He obeyed the "Father's" will, and pressed on through the fear and anguish.

I see Him as a friend, and fellow human, dealing with the human experience, more than I see Him as God.

This is a profound sentiment.

This Friend and Brother to share the human experience is:

Distributable - He can be distributed TO people to be THEIR life.

Available - He is near, present, real for subjectine enjoyment.

Enterable - He can be entered into to be a realm and a sphere to live in.

Applicable - He can be applied to any and every situation of life you may face.

Small enough to take in - He is God-man. But He is small enough to be taken in like food, like "the bread of life" .

This Friend, Brother, Sharer in your human experience became in a form in which He can be united WITH us.

" the last Adam became a life giving Spirit." (1 Cor. 15:45)

All that He is is IN this "life giving Spirit" that He became.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 06:10
    Jesus was just like us. And that's likely why the Jews rejected the notion of Him being the Messiah.

I think that is a big problem.

If you believe the bible quotes it seems Jesus (at times) did not think of himself
    as the son of god. If I was a believer (LOL) I would be drawn to considering
    Jesus a prophet or gifted rabbi. Which would not dilute his teachings if he did
    it in the name of god. Would that make me some sort of Jew or Muslim?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 07:00
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    If you believe the bible quotes it seems Jesus (at times) did not think of himself as the son of god.
    Which scripture (bible quote) in the OP, or indeed otherwise, do you think states this?
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 10:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Which scripture (bible quote) in the OP, or indeed otherwise, do you think states this?
    It's just what I heard ... about him praying and going into the wilderness and stuff.
    You know.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 12:02

Very powerful.

In my ...[text shortened]... e human experience, more than I see Him as God.

Good stuff chaney. Right on track.

Hebrews 4:14,15
    Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.

asthenia - infirmities - want of strength, weakness, infirmity

We are not alone. Jesus knows how it feels to be human.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 16:042 edits
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Good stuff chaney. Right on track.

Hebrews 4:14,15
    Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as [we are, yet] without sin.

astheni ...[text shortened]... want of strength, weakness, infirmity

We are not alone. Jesus knows how it feels to be human.
    He learned obedience through the things which He suffered.
    How much He is like us.

The last Adam means he is the end, the conclusion, the final word on what God MEANT by man. He ends one era and initiates a new one.

"the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 1:45b)

He is in a form in which He can give Himself mingled with the omnipresent God into His believers. The life giving Spirit as the Third of the Triune God.

He concludes the damage of Adam.
    He commences a new humanity as its Head and Originator.

"the last Adam ... became a life giving Spirit."

NOW ... the Lord Jesus Christ, that Friend of sinners, that Great Physician, that real Captive and Brother of our salvation is the Holy Spirit.

The Spirit is Christ in His pneumatic form to be able to reach our inside being to live in union with us.

"And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom.

And we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting the glory of the Lord are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory even as from the Lord Spirit." (2 Cor. 3:17,18)
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 16:27
    Originally posted by @sonship
    He learned obedience through the things which He suffered.
    How much He is like us.

The last Adam means he is the end, the conclusion, the final word on what God MEANT by man. He ends one era and initiates a new one.

[b] "the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 1:45b)

He is in a form in which He can give Himself min ...[text shortened]... the same image from glory to glory even as from the Lord Spirit." (2 Cor. 3:17,18) [/b] [/quote][/b]
    I'm trying to grasp what it means to be conformed to the image of Christ in this life. I'll fully comprehend that when I see Him face to face.

You want to know why I rarely reply to your posts? It's not because I don't agree with the things you say. To be honest, its because your perceptions are too lofty for me. I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy you know. Methodical. Pragmatic. And a slow learner. 😉
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:392 edits
    Originally posted by @secondson
    I'm trying to grasp what it means to be conformed to the image of Christ in this life. I'll fully comprehend that when I see Him face to face.

I am glad that you told me. But the way of salvation is paradoxical. You may be further along then you realize.

Don't you worry about not being a spiritual giant.
    Don't worry that you may not be able to complete the job.

But to the light that you have walk.
    But look to His grace to be faithful to what you know in your daily walk.

To that which you were not enlightened you can receive merciful outpouring of grace just as the first Christians received a great outpouring of grace at Pentecost.

God showed that He is able to thrust them ahead.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 18:443 edits
    The church in Philadelphia was the most pleasing to the Lord among the seven churches in Revelation 2,3. She alone is commended the most and not rebuked.

Look at what she has. Philadelphia means brotherly love.
    She has love of the brotherhood.

Does she consist of spiritual giants? It seems that she has no spiritual giants. She has a lot of little saints who are faithful to what they have. She has a little strength and has not denied the Lord's name.

" And to the messenger of the church in Philadelphia write:

These things says the Holy One, the true One who has the key of David,

the One who opens and no one will shut, and shuts and no one opens:

I know your works; behold, I have put before you an open door which no one can shut, because you have a little power and have kept My word and have not denied My name." (Rev. 3:7-8)

The church of love among the brothers has a little power. They are not great spiritual giants. But t hey have love, they have forgiveness, they have harmony. And God has set before them an open door into the kingdom age.

No one can shut that door if Christ opens it.
    No one can open that door if Christ shuts it to them.

Before these little potatoes of the last days Christ has put an opened door before them into the glorious millennial age. They only need to be faithful to what they have in the enjoyment of Christ and the oneness.

"Because you have kept the word of My endurance, I also will keep you out of the hour of trial, which is about to come on the whole inhabited earth, to try them who dwell on the earth." (v.10)

This means that Christ will show His approval to the world and to all the Christians one day by rapturing some right up out of the earth.

The reason that they are READY is because through endurance they have daily in small ways kept themselves in the enjoyment of Christ. The sign of their being READY is in their being raptured.

The sign of others not being READY is their having to go through the great tribulation, the trial which is about to come upon the whole inhabited earth.

So I would say in this brief post of encouragement, each day to ask the Lord to help you to be faithful to the level of insight that the Holy Spirit has given you.

Remember, to the merciful Christ will show mercy TO the merciful like Him.
    So your attitude towards the brothers and sisters and others is an ingredient to conformation to His image.

"Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy." (Matt. 5:7)

He looks to us Christians to be faithful to what He has shown us and to be merciful towards others. He will complete the work.

So you do not know how far along you are.
    You may be further along then you think you are.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 20:35
    Originally posted by @sonship
    The church in Philadelphia was the most pleasing to the Lord among the seven churches in [b]Revelation 2,3. She alone is commended the most and not rebuked.

Look at what she has. Philadelphia means brotherly love.
    She has love of the brotherhood.

Does she consist of spiritual giants? It seems that she has no spiritual giants. She has a lo ...[text shortened]...

So you do not know how far along you are.
    You may be further along then you think you are.[/b]
    Philippians 1:6
    Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

This verse has always been of great consolation to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree