1. Joined
    10 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:32
    I believe most of the stories inside did not happen but resembles gods words.
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:36
    Originally posted by Sratpam
    i am not sure how much of the bible i believe. i will say this much: i think a strictly literal interpretation of the bible is more than just a little naive.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 May '05 20:48
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    i am not sure how much of the bible i believe. i will say this much: i think a strictly literal interpretation of the bible is more than just a little naive.
    I also find it ironic that so very few people who believe in inerrancy assert that scripture is strictly literal. In fact, the literalist have been the non-Christians! The Christians who take a "strictly literal interpretation" have been few and far between. I can't think of any really. So why do people make such an issue of this non-issue?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    23 May '05 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I also find it ironic that so very few people who believe in inerrancy assert that scripture is strictly literal. In fact, the literalist have been the non-Christians! The Christians who take a "strictly literal interpretation" have bee ...[text shortened]... ny really. So why do people make such an issue of this non-issue?
    I find you statements more and more silly as the number of your posts increases. Literalist non-xtians are like the boogie man. If you assert that ghosts exist, then they appear. But if you are not so stupid, then they remain a figment of your imagination.
  5. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    23 May '05 21:40
    Which ones, or which types, of the Bible stories do you believe actually happened Sratty?

I believe that the ones that present themselves as history, actually are. On the other hand Jesus told a lot of parables which were simply metaphors or allegories that He probably made up to teach a lesson. I think it is pretty clear which are which.
  6. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 May '05 22:04
    Originally posted by telerion
    I find you statements more and more silly as the number of your posts increases. Literalist non-xtians are like the boogie man. If you assert that ghosts exist, then they appear. But if you are not so stupid, then they remain a figment of your imagination.
    What I am referring to are all those non-Christians who like to take a verse or two and then say that Christians must interpret them literally. And Ivanhoe's thread on literalism had only non-Christians insisting on a literal reading, without regard to context. (Most of them still don't get it.)

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=23882

Now there are many parts of scripture I read literally, but no Christian I know reads all of scripture as literal. None. Everyone I know at least reads parables as non-literal. So given that there are no Christians who read all scripture as literal, why do so many argue against them. It is know as a straw-man argument.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 May '05 22:31
    What I am referring to are all those non-Christians who like to take a verse or two and then say that Christians must interpret them literally. And Ivanhoe's thread on literalism had only non-Christians insisting on a literal reading, without regard to context. (Most of them still don't get it.)

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid ...[text shortened]... all scripture as literal, why do so many argue against them. It is know as a straw-man argument.
    If you can't take writing for what it says... you might as well hand a blank book around. Who decides what the scripture means, if it doesn't mean exactly what it says?

ES
  8. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    23 May '05 22:41
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    If you can't take writing for what it says... you might as well hand a blank book around. Who decides what the scripture means, if it doesn't mean exactly what it says?

ES
    It does say exactly what it means to say. That's not the issue. The issue is scripture supposed to be read literally - and the answer is no. Clearly parables are not meant as literal text. And when Jesus is described as a light for the world - it does not mean Jesus is made up of photons. So the literal reading accusation is a strawman argument. There are no literalist Christians.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:16

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid ...[text shortened]... all scripture as literal, why do so many argue against them. It is know as a straw-man argument.
    An odd post from someone who believes there was a world wide flood 4300 years ago and all the animals marched in pairs onto a boat with a 900 year old man!!🙄
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:19
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

ES

Read the following thread's first post.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=23989&page=1

Does it give you any ideas ?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:29
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

isn't public the antonym of private?
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:44
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

It gives me the idea that no one cared about that thread when you started it and no one cares about it now. Does that give you any ideas?

BTW, we're having a vote at Forum Wars on whether to shut that site down. I'm sure if I ask DoctorScribbles he'll allow you to cast a vote as you cited much of FW here at RHP. So what's your vote, Ivanhoe; Yes, FW should be closed forever or No, it should remain in existence?
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    23 May '05 23:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It gives me the idea that no one cared about that thread when you started it and no one cares about it now. Does that give you any ideas?

BTW, we're having a vote at Forum Wars on whether to shut that site down. I'm sure if I ask DoctorScribbles he'll allow you to cast a vote as you cited much of FW here at RHP. So what's your vote, Ivanhoe; Yes, FW should be closed forever or No, it should remain in existence?
    If I decide to close down the site, I will let ivanhoe have his username all to himself there for one day, out of kindness.
  14. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    24 May '05 01:32
    Yet you and others have not neither said or given proof what Word or Words that have been spoken that are not true. John 1:1-5 Clearly states that JESUS CHRIST is THE WORD OF GOD. What did CHRIST say that cannot be believed. What did CHRIST say that was not true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree