1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 13:48
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard core evangelicals eat it up, though, which pushes them further and further to the extreme. The more extreme they get, the more the rest of society is alienated from Christianity. The "nones" will continue to grow until we reach a critical tipping point where Christianity goes into terminal decline. If people like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 14:131 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    For many, if not all, of us Christians, the face of the Christian faith is and always will be Jesus.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 14:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    For many, if not all, of us Christians, the face of the Christian faith is and always will be [b] Jesus. [/b]
    Do you care to address the point, or are you limited to contributing throw away lines like that?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:07
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c ...[text shortened]... like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    what bad thing did he say?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:08
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c ...[text shortened]... like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    when did this santorum dude become the face of christianity? it's like saying hitler ruined germans.

not to mention this in no way affects anyone other than americans
    and if americans vote him in some major office, they deserve him
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:19
    Let me guess; he's a republican, right...?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:253 edits
    Do you care to address the point, or are you limited to contributing throw away lines like that?
    I care to do what you often do - make a passing comment of few words, in a generally contrarian tone. LOL. [/b]

Okay. Seriously. The tipping point of Christianity has been happening here and there for centries. Probably this early 21rst century will remember 9/11 as a turning point, ironically, when Atheism turned up the heat on all religion in general and Christianity in particular in a most opportunistic zeal.

That's OK though. This is inevitable. I just say it is not new.
    Nero would not consider is a new hostility.
    Neither would the Catholic Counter Reformation and Inquisition.
    Neither would Hume.
    Neither would Mao.
    Neither would Ayn Rand.
    Neither would Voltaire.
    Neither would Madylne O'Hair (spelling?).

Many times in history people have risen up and said to Christians "THAT is the LAST straw !!"
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:34
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I care to do what you often do - make a passing comment of few words, in a generally contrarian tone. LOL.

Okay. Seriously. The tipping point of Christianity has been happening here and there for centries. Probably this early 21rst century will remember 9/11 as a turning point, ironically, when Atheism turned up the heat on all religion in general ...[text shortened]... any times in history people have risen up and said to Christians "THAT is the LAST straw !!"[/b]
    I will put the question to you again: Are people like Santorum helping or hurting Christianity? By putting Christianity into an increasingly extreme position, are people like Santorum alienating mainstream society from it? Will this have long term detrimental effects on Christianity?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:52
    that is the point. santorum is a moron who happens to be a christian.
    i don't feel the need to apologize for him or address what he does, just like i don't feel the need to apologize for the romanian dictator that took part in the holocaust. (just because we are both romanians)

i am responsible for my own actions. and so is everyone else. if you want to dismiss something good just because there are some who use it as an excuse for stupid/evil whatever, go ahead
  10. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 15:54
    There will always be idiots in the world so Christianity should be safe.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:05
    If Christianity is so weak he could hurt it, it needs to go away. I think you will
    see that its foundation Jesus Christ is much greater than Senator Santorum, or
    the growing population of no religious affiliation in the end.
    Kelly
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:13
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that is the point. santorum is a moron who happens to be a christian.
    i don't feel the need to apologize for him or address what he does, just like i don't feel the need to apologize for the romanian dictator that took part in the holocaust. (just because we are both romanians)

i am responsible for my own actions. and so is everyone else. if you w ...[text shortened]... good just because there are some who use it as an excuse for stupid/evil whatever, go ahead
    The voice of extreme evangelicals, like Santorum, are by far the most vocal in today's climate. If the general public perceives him as being representative of Christianity, and are repelled by it, then Santorum is doing Christianity harm. The more mainstream voices may be alienated from an active participation in religion, which will have the effect of making Christianity an increasingly extreme religion that appeals to fewer and fewer people.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:16
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If Christianity is so weak he could hurt it, it needs to go away. I think you will
    see that its foundation Jesus Christ is much greater than Senator Santorum, or
    the growing population of no religious affiliation in the end.
    Kelly
    Do you think people like Santorum are tarnishing Christianity's image amongst the general public? Yes or no.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:17
    The voice of extreme evangelicals, like Santorum, are by far the most vocal in today's climate. If the general public perceives him as being representative of Christianity, and are repelled by it, then Santorum is doing Christianity harm. The more mainstream voices may be alienated from an active participation in religion, which will have the effect of making Christianity an increasingly extreme religion that appeals to fewer and fewer people.
    I don't know if he is extreme or not but it doesn't matter, the main stream
    press can turn anyone into anything it wants. Once the picture is painted
    that your this or that, reality doesn't matter any more in the minds of many.

Which is why the mainstream press and a political party being cozy together
    should scare everyone even those whose party the press likes.
    Kelly
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:28
    so basicaly, what you are saying is that the grand poobah of christianity should remove santorum from the equation and form a better PR office in order to trick people into christianity?

the message of christianity is quite clear, if you don't understand that santorum is not speaking for it, you probably wouldn't follow christianity anyway. someone who is willing to embrace christianity wouldn't be offended by santorum. in fact nobody should be offended by what a retarded zealot says

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree