1. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:19
    If the Bible were to suddenly disappear along with all religious texts, what would happen to religion? Could it exist without scripture? Does anyone truly feel God in their heart, or do we humans need a text threatening us with Hell for us to run to God?

And Darfius, try to stay on the subject if you respond. Remember: this is a theoretical world where there is no Bible or any religious texts. What would happen to your faith?

... --- ...
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:24
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    If the Bible were to suddenly disappear along with all religious texts, what would happen to religion? Could it exist without scripture? Does anyone truly feel God in their heart, or do we humans need a text threatening us with Hell for us to run to God?

And Darfius, try to stay on the subject if you respond. Remember: this is a theoretical world where there is no Bible or any religious texts. What would happen to your faith?

... --- ...
    If there were no religious text, how would we learn of God in the first place? How would we know such a being existed? Then I could answer your hypothetical.
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:321 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    If there were no religious text, how would we learn of God in the first place? How would we know such a being existed? Then I could answer your hypothetical.
    How did the supposed writers of the supposed Bible know of the supposed God to begin with? Somewhere along the line, either someone made God up or that same someone had an independent concept of God. So it is possible--give it a try. Or are you even capable of independent thought? I think you are, but you repress it. Come on, use your God-given imagination.

... --- ...

EDIT: I just found this comment by you in a different thread: "If you asked Him yourself, I'm sure He would be more than willing to oblige." Thereby admitting that is is possible to communicate with God sans Bible.

4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:37
    How did the supposed writers of the supposed Bible know of the supposed God to begin with? Somewhere along the line, either someone made God up or that same someone had an independent concept of God. So it is possible--give it a try. Or are you even capable of independent thought? I think you are, but you repress it. Come on, use your God-given ima ...[text shortened]... ling to oblige." Thereby admitting that is is possible to communicate with God sans Bible.

Me admitting it is possible to contact Him does not imply that He is simply snatched out of the air.

In answer to your question, He made Himself known physically to a group of people and they in turn recorded the events so that followers of God in the future could have knowledge of where the being, much less the concept, of God came from in the first place.

Now, would you answer my question from my previous post, please?
  5. )
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:45
    I believe in a god (actually, I believe that there are many gods-similar to what the ancient Greeks believed) ... To be honest, I didn't always; I once considered myself to be an athiest ... But something happened to me (actually twice-I have two kids) ... And since the day I became a father, I began to look at "life" differently.
    So now, here I am (not preaching of course-because the world definitely does not need another Right-wing Christian Fundamentalist) letting you know that I personally do not need any written text/scripture or any of the such, to confirm my belief (that there is something "out there"😉.
    Frankly I enjoy thinking that there are perhaps some sort of spirits watching over me (and my family). Without that feeling, my life, personally, would probably not mean that much (to me). .
    The reason I say that, is because if I didn't believe in an afterlife/reincarnation, then what the heck is the point in: sitting in traffic, going to a dead end job, having some scum bag boss watch over my shoulder all day, get back in traffic, get home & prepare to do it again the next day over and over again until I die?
    I like to think that we are here for a reason (i.e to evolve and learn to harness the powers we have inside each and every one of us).

Sorry, I think that I am getting off topic ... So I will stop now.

Have a great day,

D
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:54

... --- ...
    It won't. Jesus said that his word will always remain there.
  7. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 17:57
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Me admitting it is possible to contact Him does not imply that He is simply snatched out of the air.

In answer to your question, He made Himself known physically to a group of people and they in turn recorded the events so that followers of God in the future could have knowledge of where the being, much less the concept, of God came from in the first place.

Now, would you answer my question from my previous post, please?
    Are you saying that there would be no religion without the Bible? Perhaps God would reveal Himselfl in a firey cataclysm. Perhaps He would sent the Holy Spirit to dance on your forehead. Who knows? Perhaps He would remain unknown. Are you asking me to tell you the Will of God? I'm sorry, but you're out of luck.

Answer the hypothetical or get out of my thread.

... --- ...
  8. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 18:03
    Originally posted by dannypitany
    I believe in a god (actually, I believe that there are many gods-similar to what the ancient Greeks believed) ... To be honest, I didn't always; I once considered myself to be an athiest ... But something happened to me (actually twice-I have two kids) ... And since the day I became a father, I began to look at "life" differently.
    So now, here I am ...[text shortened]...

Have a great day,

D
    I greatly respect what you have written here. Thank you for your honest reply; those seem in short supply around here. Congradulations on you little ones. I too an a new parent--Ihave a 15 month old daughter, and I cannot deny that looking into her big, beautiful blues has brought me closer to God than I ever have been before, and that includes my time in school memorizing Bible verses.

Thank you again. I hope others chime in on the subject.

... --- ...
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 18:05
    Are you saying that there would be no religion without the Bible? Perhaps God would reveal Himselfl in a firey cataclysm. Perhaps He would sent the Holy Spirit to dance on your forehead. Who knows? Perhaps He would remain unknown. Are you asking me to tell you the Will of God? I'm sorry, but you're out of luck.

Answer the hypothetical or get out of my thread.

... --- ...
    I am saying that if the events in the Bible had not been recorded along with a bit of evidence as to why we should believe them and God made no other attempt to contact us, then no, the Christian religion would not exist, or if it did, it would be a philosphy club rather than a faith one could reasonable put his time into.

In answer to your hypothetical, if all the Bibles in the world disappeared simultaneously, no, Christianity would not cease to exist, because that would clearly be a sign from God.
  10. Joined
    03 Dec '03
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 18:26
    I think that humankind would (supposing that you mean that all religious texts had never existed?) create religious texts that mirror the mores of their particular societies, just as cultures have always done in the past.
  11. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 19:21
    Originally posted by elvendreamgirl
    I think that humankind would (supposing that you mean that all religious texts had never existed?) create religious texts that mirror the mores of their particular societies, just as cultures have always done in the past.
    Actually, I was going more for the all Bibles suddenly disappeared just now sort of angle, but thanks for the input.
  12. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 22:54
    My father asked me a similar question one time. He asked me... "What do you say to the tribes deep in the jungle of the Philippines where they have never heard of Jesus (let alone read the Bible)?."
    Now, this is not a hypothetical situation. This is factual. There are those tribes and they can't read and yes... they did eat the missionaries that came their way. I'm from the Philippines.

Without quoting a verse in the Bible, I took my Dad outside and have him look into the night sky.
    I told him that those tribes deep in the jungle see the same thing we see.
    The very existance of nature shouts the very existance of God.
    With the "acknowledgement of God", it follows sin, redemption, eternal life, etc., etc.

Why would anything be difficult or impossible for God to do?
    What would prevent God from sending angels in the midst of a tribe of cannibals and reveal the redemption of Christ Jesus sans the Bible?

In other words, without the Bible, there would still be God.

Kris
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 23:06
    Originally posted by dannypitany
    So now, here I am ...[text shortened]...

Have a great day,

D
    That is why it has been said that religion is the opiate of the masses. Because it convinces them to docilely go on with the drudgery of making money for their bosses, for which they'll supposedly be rewarded in the next life. But the jokes on them because there is no next life.

As the old I.W.W. song says:

You will eat, bye and bye,
    In that glorious land above the sky.
    Work and pray, live on hay,
    You'll get pie in the sky when you die (that's a lie).
  14. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 23:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    That is why it has been said that religion is the opiate of the masses. Because it convinces them to docilely go on with the drudgery of making money for their bosses, for which they'll supposedly be rewarded in the next life. But the jokes on them because there is no next life.

As the old I.W.W. song says:

You will eat, bye and bye,
    In that glo ...[text shortened]... sky.
    Work and pray, live on hay,
    You'll get pie in the sky when you die (that's a lie).
    http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

Would you please check out that site objectively, wing?

I understand if you decline.
  15. R.I.P.
    Moves
    02 Mar '05 23:12
    Actually, I was going more for the all Bibles suddenly disappeared just now sort of angle, but thanks for the input.
    God recalls all religious text due to mistakes in translation ?. I would say that it was a miracle and proof of gods existence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree