1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 19:251 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I am a human before i am an atheist, i guess that's my point. And you are right that i am not accountable to an outside authority. I am though accountable to my own conscience.

Please consider that.
    I am a human before i am an atheist, i guess that's my point. And you are right that i am not accountable to an outside authority. I am though accountable to my own conscience.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good. Very good that you realize that you are responsible to your conscience. I would never argue with that. It is true.

But bear with me a bit.

1.) Where did your conscience come from ?

2.) If your conscience has a Creator, are you somewhat responsible in that direction too ?

3.) What will balance the moral scales of life when you offend your honestly offend your conscience ? I mean your conscience says - "You did wrong there pal".

Is it just "Well, I didn't mean it. I'll try to do better next time."

But damage may be done. Maybe just YOURSELF was not involved. Maybe hurt to someone else, big time, was involved.

Will this [i]EVER[/i[ be rectified ?

The three questions assume a healthy conscience and not an over sensative one.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 19:303 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    A friend of mine wrote a song about it, "Christmas in the trenches"

John McCutcheon:

YouTube

One of his best songs. Among a lot of great songs actually.

I noticed this great song was followed by another by a great singer songwriter from Canada, RIP, Stan Rogers, "The Mary Ellen Carter' about a shipwreck.

Wow, what a sad ending to a great singer. I just found out why he died. He was on Air Canada flight 797 June 2 1983 where a fire started onboard a DC-9 during flight and by the time they were able to land, 23 people were dead, including Stan Rogers and the CEO of Curtis Mathes, George Curtis Mathes, Jr. A terrible way to die.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 20:191 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b] I am a human before i am an atheist, i guess that's my point. And you are right that i am not accountable to an outside authority. I am though accountable to my own conscience.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good. Very good that you realize that you are responsible to your conscience. I would ne ...[text shortened]... e rectified ?

The three questions assume a healthy conscience and not an over sensative one.[/b]
    To be honest, i'm not sure where my conscience comes from. My mother is a wonderful human being, who brought up my sister and me on her own, instilled in us (i hope) all of her best virtues; kindness for all living things, the importance of doing the right thing (a love of Elvis Presley). Is my conscience a result of her maternal influence? Perhaps. -If i go against my conscience, i experience crippling guilt and a feeling that i have let her down.

I believe my conscience is my best guide irrespective if God exists or not. My conscience is either parental influence, an inner sense of goodness or the voice of God telling me what is right. Either way it's a win win. If i live according to my conscience, and it turns out God does exist, i don't believe he will treat me harshly. For if he does exist, all earthly books have misunderstood and misrepresented him.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '15 20:53
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    To be honest, i'm not sure where my conscience comes from. My mother is a wonderful human being, who brought up my sister and me on her own, instilled in us (i hope) all of her best virtues; kindness for all living things, the importance of doing the right thing (a love of Elvis Presley). Is my conscience a result of her maternal influence? Perhaps. ...[text shortened]... t me harshly. For if he does exist, all earthly books have misunderstood and misrepresented him.
    [b]To be honest, i'm not sure where my conscience comes from. My mother is a wonderful human being, who brought up my sister and me on her own,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is wonderful. But your mother also possessed a conscience.
    We've push back the matter one generation.

The fifth commandment is to honor our father and our mother.
    If each generation going back does that, eventually we arrive at the Creator of human beings. And that is where both her's and your conscience came from.

instilled in us (i hope) all of her best virtues; kindness for all living things, the importance of doing the right thing (a love of Elvis Presley). Is my conscience a result of her maternal influence? Perhaps. -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be because of rearing and not physical material passed on to you from her physical material.

If i go against my conscience, i experience crippling guilt and a feeling that i have let her down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And sometimes you may feel that you just let yourself down.
    For peace in the conscience, whether the feeling of oweing to parents or to self or to someone else - the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ is the Atomic Reaction (so to speak) that PWERFULLY puts the conscience at PEACE.

It happens without understanding that much about it.
    When I called upon the name of Jesus, I felt exactly like a flushed toilet. Crude that had built up over the years upon my conscience was wiped clean.

I did not realize the WEIGHT that I had been carrying around on me. The removal of the WEIGHT of a guilty conscience surprised me and caused totally unexpected relief and joy.

If you spend just a time confessing our sins to Jesus Christ asking for forgiveness, even just the sins you are aware of, and you also will feel surprisingly bright within and light on your feet.

If you deeply confess each sin you are aware of having committed over even a year, others around you will see on your face that something wonderful has happened to you.

Now a passage:

"How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself to God, PURIFY YOUR CONSCIENCE from dead works to serve the living God"" (Hebrews 9:14)

It is true.
    It is true truth.

I believe my conscience is my best guide irrespective if God exists or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The human conscience is a kind of internal breaking system.
    God created it within us just in case we fell away from His presence as happened in the fall of Adam.

This breaking system halts somewhat the down fall into degradation.
    The conscience doesn't ever argue.
    It knows when something is wrong and it knows that it knows.
    It knows when something is right and will not take arguments.

We cannot argue with it. It takes no bribes.
    It will not let you go, will not let you go.
    You may reason all your want with your conscience.
    It will not listen to your reasonings.
    If it indicates that something is OFF or that something is RIGHT ON, no rational, no logic, no bribing and no argument can change it.

You may present all kind of arguments before men which may impress men. But the conscience will inform you what the real truth is.

Our consciences are a breaking system designed by God Who is THE Good - the Ultimate Rightness. And in love He has made provision to put at peace the conscience - perfect peace.

This peace is found in believing in Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of offenses.

As far as the east is from the west, so far can He remove our sins from us. That is an infinite degree - the distance of the east from the west.

When He says "There sins and their iniquities I will by no means remember any more." [b](Heb. :17; 10:12; comp Jeremiah 31:34) those sins are cast into the ocean of His forgetfulness.

Under the blood of Jesus you will be at peace toward yourself and toward God and toward the world as you could never imagine.

My conscience is either parental influence, an inner sense of goodness or the voice of God telling me what is right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right.

Either way it's a win win. If i live according to my conscience, and it turns out God does exist, i don't believe he will treat me harshly. For if he does exist, all earthly books have misunderstood and misrepresented him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want you to have the last word on this post. I think you're thinking about this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree