1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 02:10
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Wow! you spoke truth for once.
    RB, apologize to Rwingworm. Here he is an atheist reading the Bible. He had a spirit of humility. The angels in heaven were rejoicing.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 02:554 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    How about: “If you love your son, that is the same as loving me—since I am the love itself”?

> NRS 1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God... 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God lives in us, and his love is perfected in us... 16 God is love, and those who , “lay down” ) means to put or place (or “lay” more in the sense of “to lay the table” ).
    Here is the scripture I had in mind when I said what I said.

Matthew 10:37 And Jesus said, "He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

If you think about it, the loved ones in our lives were given to us by God. Therefore, why would we ever choose the created over the Creator? So if one of our loved ones ever forces us to choose between our God and them, the correct choice would be to choose God. Many have had to make this hard choice as family and friends reject them for becoming reconciled with their Creator. However, in the end their Creator is their source for all of their desires and needs and love, not their loved ones who force them to choose between the two. To love any human being more than the God that created all of humanity would be adulterous in my view.

I would compare such pain to a son or daughter of mine who might approach me and telling me that they had just murdered someone. What am I to do? I love them and do not want to see them suffer, however, I would feel compelled that they should account for the evil they have commited. As much as it would pain me I would be forced to turn them in and have them give an account for their crime if they were unwilling to do it themselves. I would refer to this type of love as tough love. Loving someone does not always mean that we capitulate to their whims. What is best for them and for us is not always painless or the easy road to take.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 04:04
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    a very religious woman - who has followed the teachings of christ all her life - has a son who grows up to be very evil. one day the woman and her son die in a car crash. the woman is granted access into heaven for eternity but her son is turned away; the woman says to god, "i love my son with all my heart, please allow him in. i could never be happy here knowing my son was in hell"....

question: what does god do?
    Continues not existing.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 08:44
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Continues not existing.
    he disappears "in a puff of logic" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 1975
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 09:17
    That's right - an omniscient, omnipotent creator is capable of a failure like this.

What a load of bull Christianity is.
    another one of your stupid posts.
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 09:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    EVSOA
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 09:42
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    Well, if my post is so stupid YOU try explaining how an omniscient, omnipotent creator could ever fail at anything.
  8. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 11:30
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I say that it matters just as much as the rest of your scenario. You say the woman was a religious person who followed the teachings of Jesus. Does that mean your woman simply adhered to a set of rules, or does it mean that she actually did what Christ commanded, i.e., trusted in Him for her salvation instead of herself?

The distinction is relevant be ...[text shortened]... is desired destination. Where else but out of God's presence would he have been happy?
    what a load of garbage... so you are saying the woman would be happy to see her son go to hell because christ wants it this way.... what kind of sick, selfish place is this heaven you speak of? if this is heaven i dont want to be there
  9. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 11:32
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    This was\is a well written post.
    no its not... i've never heard such a load of crap in my life... basically, let jesus make all the rules and abide by them or sin.... no room for open mindedness, no option for "what if..?".... if god wanted it this way why not just make us all robots....
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 14:455 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Here is the scripture I had in mind when I said what I said.

Matthew 10:37 And Jesus said, "He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

If you think about it, the loved ones in our lives we ...[text shortened]... heir whims. What is best for them and for us is not always painless or the easy road to take.
    Luke’s version is even harsher:

> Luke 14:26 "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

In both these verse, stauros can mean any stake or pale, with or without a crossbeam. I once heard the Matthean version translated as “pull up your stake”—as in the sense of whatever is keeping you in place so that you cannot move on. The Lucan version can have more the sense removing or carrying away.

But, in any case—

(1) If you were to follow the same line of argument from the Lucan verse, the fact that the mother loved her son at all would be a fault.

(2) “Tough love,” as you mention, is always for the benefit of the one loved—not for the moral affirmation of the one loving. If a person turns their loved one over to the authorities just because it is “the right thing to do,” that is law, not love.

Here, for example, is St. Gregory of Nyssa (4th century; speaking of ‘hell’ ):

“The body is subject to various forms of illness. Some are easy to treat, others are not, and for the latter recourse is had to incisions, cauterizations, bitter medicine... We are told something of the same sort about the judgment in the next world, the healing of the soul’s infirmities. If we are superficial people, that amounts to a threat and a process of severe correction... But the faith of deeper minds regards it as a process of healing and therapy applied by God in such a way as to bring back the being he created to its original grace.” (Gregory of Nyssa, Great Catechetical Oration)

St. Gregory referred to the apokatastasis, the return of all things to God as “the final restoration which is expected to take place later in the kingdom of heaven of those who have suffered condemnation in Gehenna.” (The Life of Moses, II-82-4.)

(3) How much does agape admit of degrees? Agape (which has always included eros) is perhaps that level of love that is always “with all your heart, with all your soul (psuche), and with all your mind.” (And Mark adds, “with all your power”.)

The radicality of agape may be hinted at in John 21:15-17, where Jesus asks the question using agape, but Peter is only able to respond using philia; until Jesus condescends to Peter’s ability and asks the question the third time in terms of philia. He did not criticize Peter’s inability to either (a) rise to the level of agape or (b) affirm that he loved Jesus “more than these.”

But God—at least John’s God—is not just the lover or the beloved, or simply loving or lovable, but love itself: ho theos agape estin, “this God love is.”

In any case, however one attempts to reconcile Luke 14:26, or even Matthew 10:37, with other statements about love—I come down on the side of the love which is greater even than faith, and perhaps entails greater risk as well... (I do not claim to have reached the place where I can love my enemy; I have pretty much been able to lose the hate, however.)

EDIT: Luke 7:47-50 presents an interesting love/faith dialectic—or perhaps practical identity...

Luke 7:47 For this reason I tell you that her sins, many as they are, have been forgiven her, because she has shown such great love. It is someone who is forgiven little who shows little love.' 48 Then he said to her, 'Your sins are forgiven.' 49 Those who were with him at table began to say to themselves, 'Who is this man, that even forgives sins?' 50 But he said to the woman, 'Your faith has saved you; go in peace.' (NJB)

Was it her love or her “faith” (confidence, assurance; here even perhaps “chutzpah” ) that was salvific? Does either/or here even make any sense?
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    This seems to be in invocation on how to refine man's practices on this earth, rather than their souls in the hereafter. In fact, it goes on in Micah 4:1 to say, "For behold, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all the evildoers will be stubble; the day that comes shall burn them up, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch."

But then, I'm no biblical scholar...
    This seems to be in invocation on how to refine man's practices on this earth, rather than their souls in the hereafter.

That is certainly possible, especially in a Jewish context.

However, within the Christian soteriological paradigm, Orthodox theologian Olivier Clement (commenting on Gregory of Nyssa’s view—see post above—and the on the views of the 7th century Isaac the Syrian), takes a view similar to Kirk’s:

“We must pray, however, that the fire of judgment—which is the fire of God’s love—will not consume the wicked, but only that part in each one which is evil. The division into ‘sheep’ and ‘goats’ of which the Last Judgment scene speaks would thus be made, not between two crowds of human beings, but between two kinds of character within each individual. In practice, other parables of a similar kind like that of the ‘good seed’ and the ‘tares’ cannot be interpreted in any other way. Jesus explains that the ‘good seed means the sons of the Kingdom; the weeds are the sons of the evil one’, and that at the end these latter will be cast into the blazing furnace (Matthew 13:36). Only Gnostics and Manicheans can hold that it is a question here of people. All human beings are creatures of God. What is ‘sown by the devil’ is destructive suggestions, the seeds of idolatry and folly. Good seeds and tares are human dispositions. To destroy the thoughts sown by the evil one is not to destroy the person but to cauterize him. What Gregory of Nyssa suggests is precisely this divine surgery.” (Olivier Clement, The Roots of Christian Mysticism)

Again, that is keeping strictly within the Christian paradigm, including the notion of “hell”...

BTW, I’m about halfway through Burton Mack’s Who Wrote the New Testament?, having set it aside for awhile as one of my “works in progress.”
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:54
    a very religious woman - who has followed the teachings of christ all her life - has a son who grows up to be very evil. one day the woman and her son die in a car crash. the woman is granted access into heaven for eternity but her son is turned away; the woman says to god, "i love my son with all my heart, please allow him in. i could never be happy here knowing my son was in hell"....

question: what does god do?
    God lets the son and the mom go where they were going when they
    died as He does with everyone without exception no matter what.
    Kelly
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 16:55
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Okay—now that I’ve successfully avoided that trap: 😉

I have to dispute that there is any place/dimension/state-of-being which is, or could be, absent God’s presence...

The West (and particularly, I think, sola scriptura Protestantism) has adopted such a juridical model of soterias, that not only seems to violate the root meaning of the wor ...[text shortened]... f your theology (or most of it anyway), at least as I think I have understood it over the years.[/b]
    I have to dispute that there is any place/dimension/state-of-being which is, or could be, absent God’s presence...
    And yet, here we find ourselves, outside of Eden... at least, for the time being.

what honest person really has a clear comprehension of the word “eternity”?
    I'd hazard a guess that only those who have experienced it can approximate any idea of eternity. Hell, we have a hard enough time with a finite yet seemingly endless universe, let alone something which is forever in duration. However, there was eternity past and there is an eternity future, apparently unfettered by sunrises and sunsets.

What that's like is hard to say. I know when I dream, it sometimes seems to last forever but its physical duration is momentary.

We are the man in the ditch... God is the Samaritan...
    Interesting take on it. I have thought of God as the man in the ditch, and us as either one of the three or one of the robbers. I'll mull over your view and get back to you.

I don’t think this is a “deal-breaker” for the rest of your theology...
    Me either. My understanding is that the salvation required of communion with God is based on where my trust is placed, not on whether my beliefs on attendant issues is in perfect alignment with the truth. While I do my best to have proper understanding, whether or not hell turns out to be metaphorical I do know I won't be there!
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 17:02
    what a load of garbage... so you are saying the woman would be happy to see her son go to hell because christ wants it this way.... what kind of sick, selfish place is this heaven you speak of? if this is heaven i dont want to be there
    I didn't say she would be happy with his choice, any more than God can be happy about our rejection. In your world, apparently force is the only way: she should have forced her son to accept God's offer of salvation for her happiness. That's not true happiness. True happiness is not dependent upon another--- the only exception is the obvious one of our dependence upon God.

If this woman's happiness is dependent upon her son, her position is shaky at best.

Heaven is the most selfish place ever created, i.e., it is all about God. There is no contradiction, however, as He is the ONLY being worthy of absolute worship, total awe. Any worship or awe directed toward any other being is a lie.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Apr '07 17:04
    Well, if my post is so stupid YOU try explaining how an omniscient, omnipotent creator could ever fail at anything.
    Who said that God failed at anything?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree