1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:181 edit
    Do you ever struggle with telling a friend that they are going to hell? Maybe they're an atheist or maybe they just go to the First Southern Baptist Church instead of the Second Southern Baptist Church.

How do you tell them without losing their friendship? Do you just lie and tell them, "Yes, you are going to heaven," when they ask you, even when you know in your heart of hearts that you're lying? You are one of the select few in history to know the real god, and as his representative aren't you obliged to always speak the truth?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:26
    Originally posted by telerion
    Do you ever struggle with telling a friend that they are going to hell? Maybe they're an atheist or maybe they just go to the First Southern Baptist Church instead of the Second Southern Baptist Church.

How do you tell them without losing their friendship? Do you just lie and tell them, "Yes, you are going to heaven," when they ask you, even when ...[text shortened]... y to know the real god, and as his representative aren't you obliged to always speak the truth?
    I never feel the urge to tell someone this. I might tell them something else though. For example we have this preacher around here who denegrates Catholics and calls homosexuals "queers" from his pulpit. I'm inclined to call him a complete idiot instead of telling him he is going to hell.
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:32

How do you tell them without losing their friendship? Do you just lie and tell them, "Yes, you are going to heaven," when they ask you, even when ...[text shortened]... y to know the real god, and as his representative aren't you obliged to always speak the truth?

Kletsmeier.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:511 edit

How do you tell them without ...[text shortened]... his representative aren't you obliged to always speak the truth?
    This is a lot like bowling.

You see... Someone might be having a great game going, but you start to notice they are not keeping their sliding foot straight, or perhaps there shoulders are not staying level. You might notice the ball hits heavier each time, but you hope they can get through it.

If you decide to say something, you will probably break their concentration causing them to fail miserably anyway! It is always best to be quiet unless someone asks for your advice.

Now if they keep bowling like crap after that and start to complain about their game... you can always tell them what you think is wrong with their throw. You only need to say it once, unless they ask for more advice or keep complaining about it.

Other than that, everyone needs to develop their own throw. I don't expect many can bowl as well as I do, and I will admit there are others that bowl much better than I ever will.

Mr. 700
  5. Standard memberNyxie
    The eyes of truth
    elsewhere
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:55
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

You see... Someone might be having a great game going, but you start to notice they are not keeping their sliding foot straight, or perhaps there shoulders are not staying level. You might notice the ball hits heavier each time, but you hope they can get through it.

If you decide to say something, you will probably break ...[text shortened]... as I do, and I will admit there are others that bowl much better than I ever will.

Mr. 700
    Wow, you actually managed to tie bowling into the thread and stay on single topic. Phlab I'm seriously impressed.

Nyxie
  6. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:57
    In my grade school days, a friend asked me point-blank, "Do you [Christians] think we [Jews] go to Hell?"

It was a really uncomfortable moment for me, but I felt I had to tell the truth as I saw it then: "Well, um, the Bible does say that the only way to the Father is through his son."

My friend was not a happy camper over that answer.

Larry King (of Jewish ancestry) had an evangelical preacher as a guest a few years back. I am 90 percent sure it was Jim Bakker. King asked the guest what happened to the souls of Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis in concentration camps. The guest paused for a couple of seconds, and then said, "I think they went straight to heaven."

No doubt it was the answer King wanted to hear. But strictly speaking, it has no New Testament basis as far as I can tell.
  7. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 03:59
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

If you decide to say something, you will probably break ...[text shortened]... as I do, and I will admit there are others that bowl much better than I ever will.

Mr. 700
    Yeah!!!! A bowling analogy in Spirituality!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!

A one time 700 series bowler myself....😉
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:04
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    King asked the guest what happened to the souls of Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis in concentration camps. The guest paused for a couple of seconds, and then said, "I think they went straight to heaven."

No doubt it was the answer King wanted to hear. But strictly speaking, it has no New Testament basis as far as I can tell.
    How does one (Christian) explain this?

As far as I know, the Roman Catholics are the only one with a dogmatic
    statement on this sort of 'exception salvation.' I discussed it with
    Lucifershammer (who is RC, I believe) some months back.

What would a 'True Christian' (i.e., 'non-cultist'😉 say about this? Do they
    really believe that the Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis went to
    hell along with the Nazis?

Nemesio
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:161 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    How does one (Christian) explain this?

As far as I know, the Roman Catholics are the only one with a dogmatic
    statement on this sort of 'exception salvation.' I discussed it with
    Lucifershammer (who is RC, I believe) some months ba ...[text shortened]... hands of the Nazis went to
    hell along with the Nazis?

Nemesio
    Nemesio: "As far as I know, the Roman Catholics are the only one with a dogmatic
    statement on this sort of 'exception salvation.'

Find it and show it , Mr Innuendo.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:28
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac
    In my grade school days, a friend asked me point-blank, "Do you [Christians] think we [Jews] go to Hell?"

It was a really uncomfortable moment for me, but I felt I had to tell the truth as I saw it then: "Well, um, the Bible does say that the only way to the Father is through his son."

My friend was not a happy camper over that answer.

Larry ...[text shortened]... King wanted to hear. But strictly speaking, it has no New Testament basis as far as I can tell.
    But strictly speaking, it has no New Testament basis as far as I can tell.

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel will be saved; as it is written, "Out of Zion will come the Deliverer; he will banish ungodliness from Jacob."

11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:37
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Nemesio: "As far as I know, the Roman Catholics are the only one with a dogmatic
    statement on this sort of 'exception salvation.'

Find it and show it , Mr Innuendo.
    Don't you know where it is, Mr RC? Is this a test?

Or are you really asking me to provide you with this information?

It's hard to tell with you sometimes.

Nemesio
  12. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:39
    Originally posted by vistesd
    [b]But strictly speaking, it has no New Testament basis as far as I can tell.

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel will be saved; as it is written, "Out of Zion will come the Deliverer; he will banish ungodliness from Jacob."

[/b]
    Naturally, vistesd, the Cult of Literalism necessarily 'interprets' the word
    'Israel' not to mean the physical state of Israel nor its people (the Jews),
    but a metaphorical 'New Israel' comprising 'True' Christians.

Otherwise, there would be a contradiction in the Bible (OH NO!).

Nemesio
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 05:49
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Naturally, vistesd, the Cult of Literalism necessarily 'interprets' the word
    'Israel' not to mean the physical state of Israel nor its people (the Jews),
    but a metaphorical 'New Israel' comprising 'True' Christians.

Otherwise, there would be a contradiction in the Bible (OH NO!).

Nemesio
    Yeah, I know. That was a "quick & dirty" citation. As you know from some of my other posts, I think a much more exhaustive case can be made from the NT, but I'm too tired to make it just now. And there are counter-texts to argue from. Besides, I don't think the Jews (including my Jewish ancestors) need us to tell them that they're saved.
  14. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 06:43
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Yeah, I know. That was a "quick & dirty" citation. As you know from some of my other posts, I think a much more exhaustive case can be made from the NT, but I'm too tired to make it just now. And there are counter-texts to argue from. Besides, I don't think the Jews (including my Jewish ancestors) need us to tell them that they're saved.
    Or not saved, as the case may be.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 06:50
    Originally posted by thesonofsaul
    Or not saved, as the case may be.
    Told at all?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree