1. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 03:42
    I am leading a small study group in about 6 hrs and would like some opinions(from christians,preferably) about what it means in regard to abusive parents. How do we, or does the Bible really even mean we should, honour them in a conventional way.

Also how would you respond to non-Christians about why our unchanging God condoned attrotiouse behavour (subjective comment)

e.g 2 Samuel 12: 11-14

Even to me this seems hard to understand and though I love the lord I find it hard to explain away except to say things like"I dont need to understand every thing to know the fundamentals are set in concrete and my faith does not need FULL knowledge.I feel this is a bit weak for a non-Cristian to get.

Any help appretiated though I may not respond.

I am not after any debate as I believe those who do not wish to believe will not. Christ himself cauld visit them and perform undisputable miracles and yet they would say that it was anything but him.
    thanking you
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 May '06 05:00
    Originally posted by jimmac
    I am leading a small study group in about 6 hrs and would like some opinions(from christians,preferably) about what it means in regard to abusive parents. How do we, or does the Bible really even mean we should, honour them in a conventional way.

Also how would you respond to non-Christians about why our unchanging God condoned attrotiouse behavour (subj ...[text shortened]... acles and yet they would say that it was anything but him.
    thanking you
    I'm not a christian, but it seems to me that honouring abusive parents might be about Jesus's point to 'love your neighbour'.
    What I mean by that is that he was on about 'loving' or respecting and caring and showing appreciation for all people, no matter who they were, where they had come from or what they had done.
    For us to show honour and respect for someone who abuses us is to rise above that abuse, and demonstrate our humanity.

Of course, the paradox here is that the abuse from parents is likely to make such a position almost impossible to come by - since it's our parents that have such a large influence on who we become as we get older.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 May '06 06:07

Also how would you respond to non-Christians about why our unchanging God condoned attrotiouse behavour (subj ...[text shortened]... acles and yet they would say that it was anything but him.
    thanking you
    God's laws are more important that mere cuts and bruises. If your father tells you to punch yourself in the face you should do it otherwise you are just a disrespecting punk who deserves a beatdown and eternity in hell.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 May '06 06:45

thanking you
    I believe that you can honour and love someone without accepting abuse from them. In fact by allowing them to continue thier abuse you are not helping them and thus not honouring them.
    However I suspect that the Bible tells you to obey your parents and to obey your husband (if you are a woman) and that divorce is wrong. So if taken literaly, there is no way out.

However, my father, who was an Anglican priest always said that abuse by a spouse was a justifiable reason for divorce.

What I always find interesting is Christians quoting the old testament laws and then asking how to follow them while at other times claiming that the new covenant negates a need to follow those laws.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 07:08
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [b]I believe that you can honour and love someone without accepting abuse from them.
    I suppose I mean this in light of kids I have in care that have been sexually abused. I try to teach them that they still need to love there parents but I feel (myself, not necessarily bilical.), that they are not due Honour.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 May '06 07:16
    I suppose I mean this in light of kids I have in care that have been sexually abused. I try to teach them that they still need to love there parents but I feel (myself, not necessarily bilical.), that they are not due Honour.
    I suggest you teach then the proper usage of there, their, and they're.

(Oxford Comma motherbitches)
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 07:27
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I suggest you teach then the proper usage of there, their, and they're.

(Oxford Comma motherbitches)
    I suppose you illustrate my point well

I am supposed to love you but I do not understand that I should honour you.esp if I was dislexic and you were my Dad.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:02
    I suppose you illustrate my point well

I am supposed to love you but I do not understand that I should honour you.esp if I was dislexic and you were my Dad.
    If you were Dyslexic you'd probably at least put a y somewhere in the word.
  9. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:16
    If you were Dyslexic you'd probably at least put a y somewhere in the word.
    There is a time and a place for spelling and grammar lessons, Xanthos, but this thread is assuredly not one of them.
  10. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:18
    attrotiouse
    Amazing.
  11. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:21

thanking you
    Tip for next time jim, give us more than 6 hours!

I'm not clear on the passage from 2 Samuel - is the problem with it that the punishment of David had an effect on others as well? Most obviously his son?

That's a tough one and I don't have any answers off the top of my head, sorry.

I hope your small group goes well tonight. Just remember it's not all up to you.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    25 May '06 08:29
    Originally posted by orfeo
    There is a time and a place for spelling and grammar lessons, Xanthos, but this thread is assuredly not one of them.
    Sometimes my timing is just attrotiouse.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:00
    Originally posted by orfeo

I hope your small group goes well tonight. Just remember it's not all up to you.[/b]
    thank you. sorry for the short notice.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:08
    Sometimes my timing is just attrotiouse.
    as it appears, so may your personality be,but I still love you.people lacking compassion is a thing to pity,not hate or get angry about.Many kids that have been in my care grow up like you (some level of presumption there,of course)and I love them (well,most) heaps and care for them more. If you would like to tell me your insecurities with poor spellers I will pray for you.(I do not jest)

Keep well Xantos

Jim Mc
  15. Moving on...
    Moves
    25 May '06 09:10
    as it appears, so may your personality be,but I still love you.people lacking compassion is a thing to pity,not hate or get angry about.Many kids that have been in my care grow up like you (some level of presumption there,of course)and I love them (well,most) heaps and care for them more. If you would like to tell me your insecurities with poor spellers I wil ...[text shortened]... jest)

Keep well Xantos

Jim Mc
    what a nice guy!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree