1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 07:29
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    OK so are you accepting that at least one star is over 1 million light years away ?
    And my point is clear, if you accept that there is a star furthur away than say 20,000 light years then it is at least 20,000 years old or God made the light in transit in such a way that it would appear to us that there was a 20,000 year old star. He clearly wants us to ...[text shortened]... t years of earth. A basic calculation on the expected brightness would show this to be nonsense.
    And by the way, triangulation is not the only way to measure the distance to a given star

Really? Could you please elaborate, because to my knowledge, triangulation is the only method that astronomers use to measure the distance of stars. As Stephen Hawking said, the only thing we can know about a star is its brightness and colour, the rest is merely speculation.

if you accept that there is a star furthur[sic] away than say 20,000 light years then it is at least 20,000 years old or God made the light in transit in such a way that it would appear to us that there was a 20,000 year old star.

Why would the distance from the earth be any indication of its age? In the young-earth model, the stars were created at their respective distances from the earth and like Adam, fully mature, i.e. the light emanating from it having already reached the outer limits of our universe.

And my point is clear...

I'm afraid not. Do you fully understand the concept of the young-earth model?
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 07:45
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]And by the way, triangulation is not the only way to measure the distance to a given star

Really? Could you please elaborate, because to my knowledge, triangulation is the only method that astronomers use to measure the distance of stars. As Stephen Hawking said, the only thing we can know about a star is its brightness and colour, the rest is mer ...[text shortened]... s clear...[/b]

I'm afraid not. Do you fully understand the concept of the young-earth model?[/b]
    Is what you are saying, Halitose, that God placed the stars in such a fashion
    such that they are millions of lightyears away just to confuse our notions about
    the age of the universe?

Nemesio
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:07
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    such that they are millions of lightyears away just to confuse our notions about
    the age of the universe?

Nemesio
    I'm questioning our capability to even measure them accurately.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:18
    What is the best way you know of to measure the age of the earth, and how should this (speculative) knowledge be put to use? In the light of your objections, confirming the Biblical data on Earth's age and the age of the human race would appear as impossible as determining the age of the sun.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:24
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    the age of the universe?

Nemesio
    Not at all. I've explained it already. Adam was fully mature, so was the universe. The stars were created as signs for the seasons and twinkly little things to woo our girlfriends with – not the definitive proponent of the age of the universe. 😏
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:25
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What is the best way you know of to measure the age of the earth, and how should this (speculative) knowledge be put to use? In the light of your objections, confirming the Biblical data on Earth's age and the age of the human race would appear as impossible as determining the age of the sun.
    There are some pointers on the issue.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:26
    Not at all. I've explained it already. Adam was fully mature, so was the universe. The stars were created as signs for the seasons and twinkly little things to woo our girlfriends with – not the definitive proponent of the age of the universe.
    (Suspects Halitose is taking the piss): How does this scheme of things explain precession?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:291 edit
    I still fail to see your point. When I look through a telescope I see dots of light that I assume to be stars or planets - big deal - there are other stars and planets; what is this meant to prove? That a star cannot be created without it's light being present already?
    So God created the star light first and then created the stars?? When we see light from a supernova 100,000 light years away we're seeing something that never actually happened? It's all a show God decided to put on?

Obviously, you're not asserting that all the stars, galaxies, etc. etc. etc. are all contained in an area only 6,000 light years in diameter. Do you know anything at all about actual astronomy? Do you know what a Cepheid star is and how these are used to measure distance? Do you know what a red shift is? Or are you just happy whistling in ignorance?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 08:32
    (Suspects Halitose is taking the piss): How does this scheme of things explain precession?
    Goddunnit.
  10. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 09:09
    What if one's light measurments of a star shone onto an unaccounted for planet on it's journey?
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 09:11
    Originally posted by windmill
    What if one's light measurments of a star shone onto an unaccounted for planet on it's journey?
    Make sense and then we'll ridicule you.
  12. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 09:15
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Hey....i'm enjoying this more than u know!When measuring the timeframe of earth how would a worldwide flood affect dating systems?
  13. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    Hey....i'm enjoying this more than u know!When measuring the timeframe of earth how would a worldwide flood affect dating systems?
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    Doesn't he have a point, though? Couldn't, say, intervening gas clouds confuse our understanding of the signals from a distant star? Or is that sort of deviation already accounted for?
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Nov '05 09:24
    Suspects Halitose is taking the piss

Quite right. I'm fitting on the Y.E.C. hat for the duration of this thread.

How does this scheme of things explain precession?

An asteroid impact that caused Noah's flood and the ice-age.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree