1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 08:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you are using a strawman.

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a YEC that thinks (or admits as such) that God created the world in such a way as to look like it is older than it really is. Most YECs I have discussed it with claim that there is plenty of evidence for a young earth and very little evidence for an old earth (and evolution etc).
    I would agree if you were talking about creationists in general, but I don't see how YEC really have much choice. There is a panoply of different dating methods that point to dates of a different order of magnitude than 6000 years.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 10:53
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    YEC assumes(among other things) that God created the world about 6000 years ago. Any isotope dating is irrelevant because God in his infinite wisdom created all things as if having history. as such, trees have rings and rocks seem to be having 4 billion years. What would the reason be god created things this way is another story. perhaps just to make fun of ...[text shortened]... res.

To me, the logic(so to speak) of both theories is exactly the same. what do you think?
    That last thursdayism one... how does it work if they've held that faith for years? I mean if everything was created last thursday then how would that work?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 12:25
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    That last thursdayism one... how does it work if they've held that faith for years? I mean if everything was created last thursday then how would that work?
    last thursdayism wasn't created(by us anyway). god(or whoever-whatever created the universe) simply implanted this memory into our brains. we didn't invent anything beyond last thursday, we simply have the memory of someone inventing it.

what would be god's plan in doing so? who knows? it would have to be the same as creating the world in 7 days 6000 years ago and then making rocks appear 4 billion years old.

by the way, i must bid you all farewell. as you all know, tomorrow is thursday. and we all know what happens thursday.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 12:51
    last thursdayism wasn't created(by us anyway). god(or whoever-whatever created the universe) simply implanted this memory into our brains. we didn't invent anything beyond last thursday, we simply have the memory of someone inventing it.

what would be god's plan in doing so? who knows? it would have to be the same as creating the world in 7 days 6000 yea ...[text shortened]... u all farewell. as you all know, tomorrow is thursday. and we all know what happens thursday.
    Perhaps you (and everything else) will disappear but we all have you (and everything else) in our memories. You will not be forgotten.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 13:03
    I believe that the world will be created next Tuesday.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 13:17
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I believe that the world will be created next Tuesday.
    Repent, and you will be reborn - next thursday.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 13:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Perhaps you (and everything else) will disappear but we all have you (and everything else) in our memories. You will not be forgotten.
    not you. but the new you. you will disappear like everyone else 😛
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 22:17

what would be god's plan in doing so? who knows? it would have to be the same as creating the world in 7 days 6000 yea ...[text shortened]... u all farewell. as you all know, tomorrow is thursday. and we all know what happens thursday.
    But why wouldnt he implant this memory of creating the world last thursday into everybody's mind?
  9. The sky
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 23:33
    But why wouldnt he implant this memory of creating the world last thursday into everybody's mind?
    Because he wants to test our faith.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 04:47
    Today it's Thursday. 😲
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Today it's Thursday. 😲
    well, time to start a new universe.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:19
    god works in mysterious ways.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:24
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I would agree if you were talking about creationists in general, but I don't see how YEC really have much choice. There is a panoply of different dating methods that point to dates of a different order of magnitude than 6000 years.
    Choosing to deny the obvious is remarkably common place. I have tried raising many arguments with YECs, my favourite one being the existence of stars. Everything we know about stars makes it almost undeniable that either they dont really exist, or the light took more than 6000 years to get from the vast majority of them to us. I am yet to meet one single YEC who thinks that God put the light in transit in order to fool us that stars once existed before the creation of the universe. Such an admision obviously results in the question: If God tried to fool us into believing in an old earth, who are we to go against him, and futher, why did he then contradict himself by trying to tell us otherwise in the Bible.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am yet to meet one single YEC who thinks that God put the light in transit in order to fool us that stars once existed before the creation of the universe. Such an admision obviously results in the question: If God tried to fool us into believing in an old earth, who are we to go against him, and futher, why did he then contradict himself by trying to tell us otherwise in the Bible.
    I have yet to meet a single YEC, period!

Are there that many in Zambia? I thought it was mostly an American thing these days.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:35
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I have yet to meet a single YEC, period!

Are there that many in Zambia? I thought it was mostly an American thing these days.
    I've met no South African YECs in real life, but I've met quite a few on this site. Precise numbers are hard to come by because at least one was a multiple accounter. I'm inclined to believe that they are all manifestations of Palmer Eldritch.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree