1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 05:16
    I am planning a week-long trip to Amsterdam in June. What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?

Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium? Or will I need to study up on my Dutch speaking skills to communicate with your countrymen working in public transportation?

I am coming to visit a friend who is living temporarily in Utrecht. He says very few people there speak English, and all of the written material, such as restaurant menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 05:34
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I am planning a week-long trip to Amsterdam in June. What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?

Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium? Or will I need to study up on my Dutch speaking skills to communicate with your countrymen wo ...[text shortened]... t menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
    Shouldn't worry about it mate - most europeans speak pretty good english, they pretty much have to! Also Amsterdam is such a UK tourist destination all the taxi drivers etc will have good english - probably better than you or I!

Have a great trip - not too many stops for 'coffee and muffins', you hear?!

L
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 05:38
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Shouldn't worry about it mate - most europeans speak pretty good english, they pretty much have to! Also Amsterdam is such a UK tourist destination all the taxi drivers etc will have good english - probably better than you or I!

Have a great trip - not too many stops for 'coffee and muffins', you hear?!

L
    Word. If I find a Dutchman who speaks better English than me, I'll eat my wooden shoe. I don't drink coffee or smoke marijuana, so hopefully there will be other forms of sustenance available.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 05:54
    hopefully there will be other forms of sustenance available.
    😉
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 07:24
    Word. If I find a Dutchman who speaks better English than me, I'll eat my wooden shoe. I don't drink coffee or smoke marijuana, so hopefully there will be other forms of sustenance available.
    When are you planning to be there? I am planning a trip to England this summer. WE could go calling on Ivanhoe together. That would be the bomb! I am waiting for his offer of hospitality to us.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 15:472 edits

Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium? Or will I need to study up on my Dutch speaking skills to communicate with your countrymen wo ...[text shortened]... t menus, is in Dutch only. Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?
    Dr.S: "What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?"

You do not need to know anything at all. The less you know the better. You just need money, lots of it .... the more the better .....

You will be able to manage with your command of the English language, I'm sure .... I'm afraid your Utrecht friend is trying to pull your leg ..... it serves you right ...... ha ha ha 😛

You don't need to speak Dutch. The people you are likely to interact with will have enough ability to speak and understand English in order to make clear what they want or understand what you want.

Dr.S: "Can a non-Dutch speaker easily get a cab from the airport to the Rembrandtplein, and a train ticket for the Hague and Bruges, Belgium?

Yes.

Dr.S: "Can I expect Amsterdam to be more accommodating to English speakers?"

Amsterdam will do just fine. The Netherlands has almost become a bilingual country, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Tens of millions of English speaking people visit our country on a yearly basis. We will be able to handle you too ..... even in the city of Utrecht ...... 😀
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 15:54
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    [b]Dr.S: "What do I need to know to survive in this strange land of yours?"

You do not need to know anything at all. The less you know the better. You just need money, lots of it .... the more the better .....

You will be able to manage with your command of the English language, I'm sure .... I'm afraid your Utrecht friend is trying to pull your l ...[text shortened]... ly basis. We will be able to handle you too ..... even in the city of Utrecht ...... 😀[/b]
    OK, thanks.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 15:57
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    When are you planning to be there? I am planning a trip to England this summer. WE could go calling on Ivanhoe together. That would be the bomb! I am waiting for his offer of hospitality to us.
    Reverend, that would require an awfully big tent. I don't think his stretches that far. Besides, encountering the regular, non-psychotic Dutch people will be enough of a challenge for my first trip there.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 15:581 edit
    Now, you keep on working on believing in crop circles, Kirk ..... 😉
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 16:022 edits
    Reverend, that would require an awfully big tent. I don't think his stretches that far. Besides, encountering the regular, non-psychotic Dutch people will be enough of a challenge for my first trip there.
    Please, consider your encounters with me here at RHP as a fairly adequate and sufficient exercise, Dear Doctor ..... If you survived me you will survive the rest of the Dutch as well 🙂
  11. The sky
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 16:271 edit
    I don't drink coffee or smoke marijuana, so hopefully there will be other forms of sustenance available.
    Sure, you can get wooden shoes at every restaurant there. They go well with tulip salad.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 16:35
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Sure, you can get wooden shoes at every restaurant there. They go well with tulip salad.
    .... don't forget our famous windmill-steak served with sauce hollandaise .....
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 16:45
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Please, consider your encounters with me here at RHP as a fairly adequate and sufficient exercise, Dear Doctor ..... If you survived me you will survive the rest of the Dutch as well 🙂
    Ivanhoe, you must give him a tour or some experience where you two can meet. Do you suffer from agoraphobia?
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 17:02
    Ivanhoe, you must give him a tour or some experience where you two can meet. Do you suffer from agoraphobia?
    I am not going to meet Ivanhoe. This is a vacation, not a mission!
  15. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '06 17:07

Instead of asking these ethnocentric questions why dont u get a Dutch phrase book...AND....what is this question doing in the spirituality forum?!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree