Should we legalise necrophilia then?
    well that hurts the dead body's dignity
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 23:311 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Does the atheist have an absolute moral framework? Or does morality simply depend on personal preference?
    What is here meant by 'absolute'? Are you contrasting this with relativism, subjectivism, non-cognitivism,...? If you mean 'absolute' simply as dichotomous with 'personal preference', then your distinction is not exhaustive. Of course, you should hope that at least some moral views can be both absolute and based on personal preference (although such views are crazy), since according to your own views morality is absolute (I take it that you intend this...) and based on the preferences of God.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:11
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Of course, you should hope that at least some moral views can be both absolute and based on personal preference (although such views are crazy), since according to your own views morality is absolute (I take it that you intend this...) and based on the preferences of God.
    Zing!

Of course, I had a discussion somewhere with knightmeister in which I argued that his view is subjectivist; he nevertheless maintained that it was in some sense absolute. There, he took it to be the case that being absolute just entails being free from human preferences and propositional attitudes. I think dj2 probably has a similar notion of 'absolute' in mind.
  5. Joined
    10 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 00:14
    But it resists as long humanity resists as all your idea's
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:19
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The overwhelming majority of atheists would (in contrast to your God).
    So you speak for the overwhelming majority of atheists? Since you are an atheist your statement, "( in contrast to your God )", is insulting and hypocritical.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:20
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    if it doesnt hurt anybody and makes you feel good, do it
    I think this is what Adam and Eve said in the garden of Eden prior to them eating the forbidden fruit.
  8. CA, USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:28
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Would an atheist have a problem with mass-murder and rape, for example?
    Most would IMO

By the same token, MOST mass murderers and rapists are more likely to be atheist than the religious types .. again, just IMHO
  9. CA, USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 01:40
    Aren't too many really strong atheists IMO.
    Requires you to know everything.

In western culture, it seems to me we have more agnostics and skeptics than anything else.

We that doubt; we that question.

I estimate 5-10% of the Christians i've met actually walk the walk, mostly those fooling themselves and coppering their bets just in case.
  10. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 14:27
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    well that hurts the dead body's dignity
    Dignity?! They're are dead, they can hardly complain!
    😕

No, I wouldn't legalise it, not for respect for the one who died, but out of respect for the family members who will still be living.
  11. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 17:26
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Dignity?! They're are dead, they can hardly complain!
    😕

No, I wouldn't legalise it, not for respect for the one who died, but out of respect for the family members who will still be living.
    ... and what about respect for one's own body ?
  12. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 17:33
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    ... and what about respect for one's own body ?
    Can you explain?
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 18:23
    Can you explain?
    I regard engaging in sex with dead bodies both respectless towards the dead person ànd towards one own's body. One uses one's body in a way that is was not meant to be used .... same goes for the dead body.
  14. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 18:32
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I regard engaging in sex with dead bodies both respectless towards the dead person ànd towards one own's body. One uses one's body in a way that is was not meant to be used .... same goes for the dead body.
    If you were attracted to dead bodies wouldn't having sex with one be respecting your own body's desires?

To be clear though, I personally don't think it is ok, I think it is sign of a disturbed mind: someone that needs help.
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 19:28
    If you were attracted to dead bodies wouldn't having sex with one be respecting your own body's desires?

To be clear though, I personally don't think it is ok, I think it is sign of a disturbed mind: someone that needs help.
    "If you were attracted to dead bodies wouldn't having sex with one be respecting your own body's desires?"

No.

What does the notion "respect" mean if it produces disrespect ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree