There is no God.
    " if God dosen't exist then you don't either."
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 20:231 edit
    Originally posted by yo its me
    @HOH yes there is
    No. There isn't.

Why do you feel there is a God? What brought you to this belief? Give me a well grounded, reasonably thought out argument for why God exists and I'll cease refering to you as Captain Assjack from here on out. If you tell me that "He just does" or something equally inane, I swear I'll beat you with your own spine.

I am not even asking you for physical proof. I'm willing to accept a valid, reasoned argument for why God must exist even in the abscence of us being able to see him or interact with him in any way.
  5. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 20:251 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    " if God dosen't exist then you don't either."
    You're going to have to explain that concept for me as I'm reasonably sure that I exist. Not so sure about you though.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 21:09
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    You're going to have to explain that concept for me as I'm reasonably sure that I exist. Not so sure about you though.
    how can you be sure that you're not some figment of someone else's imagination? or part an intergalactic video game?
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:02
    No. There isn't.

Why do you feel there is a God? What brought you to this belief? Give me a well grounded, reasonably thought out argument for why God exists and I'll cease refering to you as Captain Assjack from here on out. If you tell me that "He just does" or something equally inane, I swear I'll beat you with your own spine.

I am ...[text shortened]... i] exist even in the abscence of us being able to see him or interact with him in any way.
    Since you asked so nicely 😉 I'll take the time to articulate why I'm so sure God is real;

#I look around me and I know for certian that there's no way this is all an axcident, it was all very percisesly created. Here is a scientists explination of how balanced and exact it all is- http://www.firstscience.com/home/articles/big-theories/recipe-for-the-universe-just-six-numbers_1230.html

#When I felt alone, a long time ago when something happened, which I'm not about to discuss I felt the emptyness of what it would be like to not exist and I knew I didn't want to be alone, in my soul. Perhaps this bit sounds whimisical, but this is the best I can explain it.

#The more I understand the Bible the more it makes sense.

#I've met people who have a relationship with God and I beleive them to be genuine.

#Dispite my upbringing I have survived and so have my siblings I beleive this is becasue my mum prayed for us.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:15

#The more I understand the Bible the more it makes sense.
    go on
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:22
    go on
    What do you mean? it's a massive book, or collection of books. I've not understood even a small portion of it. What I have taken the time to understand is mainly the stories which describe human nature, how we forever fail, and it makes sense that we need God to really get anywhere.
  10. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:331 edit
    Since you asked so nicely 😉 I'll take the time to articulate why I'm so sure God is real;

#I look around me and I know for certian that there's no way this is all an axcident, it was all very percisesly created. Here is a scientists explination of how balanced and exact it all is- http://www.firstscience.com/home/articles/big-theories/recipe-for-the-u ng I have survived and so have my siblings I beleive this is becasue my mum prayed for us.
    This isn't an argument. These are your feelings. At the risk of winning your debate for you an example of what I was looking for follows.

I suggest your read about Berkley and his attempt to develop a valid argument around the existence of God. It's been some time, but, basically Berkely argued that the material universe did not exist, that an omniscient God must exist and perceive everything at all times.

A poor summary of Berkley's argument:

- Our ideas and perceptions must have a cause
    - Our perceptions do not depend upon our own will so must have some other cause
    - Our perceptions of physical objects are not caused by the objects themselves as matter doesn't exist
    - Perceptions cannot be caused by imagination as imagination has no power or agency
    - Therefore, our perceptions must be caused by God

If this seems like a leap of faith, Berkley postulated that our perceptions are always constant and incredibly complex. This must lead us to believe that an incredibly powerful God fashioned our perceived universe with his mind. Furthermore, he argued that our perceived universe was maintained by a mind so unfathomly powerful as to make all scientific experiments produce consistant results.

Basically you don't exist, but. God does. Do you accept Berkley's premises? Has he come to a valid conclusion? If so, how does Berkely's argument support or undermine the Bible/Christianity?
  11. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:34
    What do you mean? it's a massive book, or collection of books. I've not understood even a small portion of it. What I have taken the time to understand is mainly the stories which describe human nature, how we forever fail, and it makes sense that we need God to really get anywhere.
    Why did you not understand it? Did you not take the time to understand it or is not all of it important?
  12. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:351 edit
    how can you be sure that you're not some figment of someone else's imagination? or part an intergalactic video game?
    No, I can't. I can't prove it either way. However, I would point out that the level of detail required to maintain such an illusion is unlikely.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:361 edit
    There is no God.
    What does this mean?

Spoiler Alert! Saying 'there is no God' is every bit as meaningless as saying 'there is a God'.
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:38
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What does this mean?

Spoiler Alert! Saying 'there is no God' is every bit as meaningless as saying 'there is a God'.
    It means that you South Africans are in deep doo doo if your darkies figure out there is no heaven and no consequences to killing whitey wholesale. Rawanda's going to look like a tea party after they finish BBQ y'all over a pile of burning tires.
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Oct '09 22:40
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What does this mean?

And bad form as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree