1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 12:29
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    At least 60% of his Rec's came from Trains44 and some other subscriber recommending nearly EVERY post he made for months.
    True, but that still leaves 600 odd recs.

The worst part about recs was idiots like serendipity doo dah begging for them. [part of the reason for getting rid of them I would guess]
    Who, incidentally hasn't made a move for well over a year and hasn't posted in these forums since before Christmas.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:08
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    True, but that still leaves 600 odd recs.

The worst part about recs was idiots like serendipity doo dah begging for them. [part of the reason for getting rid of them I would guess]
    Who, incidentally hasn't made a move for well over a year and hasn't posted in these forums since before Christmas.
    As far as I read from the forums, I believe that it has been a good lesson that Russ took away the rec' counting system. Now, people will be more selective when reccomending a post since there's only limited number of recs are available per month.

They do not have to use their recs and they can save it for the future.
    Considering only 120 recs per year is given to one person, he or she will be wise in using them effectively and ignore such rec beggars.

I do not see any disadvantage having a rec counting system like this one. Although, I have never been informed why the rec counting sytem was removed, I believe that having it back is not going to create hatred nor conflict between people. It is something extra, it will make some people happy. I don't think it will make the majority of the people unhappy.

Having this unique attribute will also help the quality of RHP forums and will distinct it from other chess websites. I think it will play a role in the profitablity of the chess website, even though it may affect just a little.

People who disagree to this do not HAVE TO use their points. However, if there is a considerable demand for this, what the heck?

Russ, then, should re-introduce this option.
  3. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 03:56
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    People who disagree to this do not HAVE TO use their points. However, if there is a considerable demand for this, what the heck?

Russ, then, should re-introduce this option.
    eh, how do you conclude that there is a considerable demand for it? You got only a few recommendations I believe.

Adje
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 05:37
    Originally posted by adje
    eh, how do you conclude that there is a considerable demand for it? You got only a few recommendations I believe.

Adje
    In English language the word "if" is used to create conditional sentences.

The existence of the word "if" implies a condition on which (for something to happen) something depends anther thing to happen. It may be used to indicate suppositions or hypothetical conditions. (often involving doubt or uncertainty)

The dictionary meaning of the English word "if": In case that, granting or supposing that, on condtion that etc...

To give an example sentence: If 500 people rec the first post of this thread, Russ may consider to re-introduce the rec counting system.

I am not a navite English speaker so what do I know?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 08:13
    500 people out of 12000 member wanting the recs back is not a very large fraction, is it?
  6. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 08:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    500 people out of 12000 member wanting the recs back is not a very large fraction, is it?
    The vast majority of those 12000 don't care or don't even participate in the forums at all, some of them aren't even currently active. So the fraction is much larger than you think, you are grossly overeestimating the amount against.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 09:24
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    The vast majority of those 12000 don't care or don't even participate in the forums at all, some of them aren't even currently active. So the fraction is much larger than you think, you are grossly overeestimating the amount against.
    True. But how to know if 500 votes are more or less than 50%? Statistics are not so easy that a easy poll could decide.

If Russ thinks this is an importiant question, he instate an official vote.

We shouldn't overestimate the importance of recs anyway. It was misused, do we really want them to be misused again?
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 10:431 edit
    lots of recs is fun!

having just 3 or 4 people making most of those recs is boring.

russ : keep the system as it is now - but double or triple everyone's rec allowance!
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 16:40
    True. But how to know if 500 votes are more or less than 50%? Statistics are not so easy that a easy poll could decide.

If Russ thinks this is an importiant question, he instate an official vote.

We shouldn't overestimate the importance of recs anyway. It was misused, do we really want them to be misused again?
    That was an example sentence to indicate how the word "if" is used in an hypothetical condition.
  10. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    lots of recs is fun!

having just 3 or 4 people making most of those recs is boring.

russ : keep the system as it is now - but double or triple everyone's rec allowance!
    Agreed.

And yes, recs were misused, aparently moreso after I temporarily vanished, but the forums are much less interesting now. Moderation in all things, including recs. Some recs may be better than none or infinite. Maybe allow 10 recs a week instead of per month, or maybe 1 rec per day.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 18:13
    That was an example sentence to indicate how the word "if" is used in an hypothetical condition.
    I was commenting UmbrageOfSnow, and he didn't state anything about if?

Didn't the count of Monte Christo serve some prison tome on the Île d'If? Was it a conditional punishment?
  12. Joined
    19 Feb '02
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 18:21
    In English language the word "if" is used to create conditional sentences.

The existence of the word "if" implies a condition on which (for something to happen) something depends anther thing to happen. It may be used to indicate suppositions or hypothetical conditions. (often involving doubt or uncertainty)

The dictionary meaning of the English word "i ...[text shortened]... oduce the rec counting system.[/i]

I am not a navite English speaker so what do I know?
    ok, ok, I misinterpreted it. No need to get all mister wiseguy with me :-)
    I have a fever and at the time of writing it was 5 o'clock in the morning for me, so that's my excuse.

Adje
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:31
    Originally posted by adje
    ok, ok, I misinterpreted it. No need to get all mister wiseguy with me :-)
    I have a fever and at the time of writing it was 5 o'clock in the morning for me, so that's my excuse.

Adje
    Oh, I have also a nasty fever of mistreated influenca. I'm not totally straight in my thinking. Which might explain a totally idiotic loss of my queen a few days ago...
  14. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:45
    Oh, I have also a nasty fever of mistreated influenca. I'm not totally straight in my thinking. Which might explain a totally idiotic loss of my queen a few days ago...
    There is no such thing as "idiotic".

Things happen.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:16
    There is no such thing as "idiotic".

Things happen.
    When I wondered where my queen was and realized... - the word idiotic popped up in my head...

On the other hand I won my opponents queens in two other games. So, you're right: Things happen!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree