1. Standard memberAnwylyd
    Mandla
    Unknown
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 15:25
    I know I'm in the process of leaving this site, but I have an idea that may solve a lot of whining...

Instead of using the "highest" rating in the last 30 days, what if your tournament rating was actually an average of all previous ratings. This would make banded tourneys more realistic in that highly rated people that left and came back could no longer join the low rated tourneys only to blow out all competition... that's not really a challenge as I see it, and kind of sad that they need that bit of ego stroking... just an idea, let me know what you think, yea or nay
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 15:45
    Originally posted by Anwylyd
    I know I'm in the process of leaving this site, but I have an idea that may solve a lot of whining...

Instead of using the "highest" rating in the last 30 days, what if your tournament rating was actually an average of all previous ratings. This would make banded tourneys more realistic in that highly rated people that left and came back could no long ...[text shortened]... that they need that bit of ego stroking... just an idea, let me know what you think, yea or nay
    See...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

D
  3. Standard memberAnwylyd
    Mandla
    Unknown
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 16:10
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    See...
    http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=31221&page=4

D
    Great so the idea has come up before... chessatwork is the only of the 4 sites I use, so I hadn't seen this thanks.
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 16:42
    Great so the idea has come up before... chessatwork is the only of the 4 sites I use, so I hadn't seen this thanks.
    chessatwork, timeforchess, redhotchess and redhotpawn are all the exact same sites with just different themes.

D
  5. Standard memberAnwylyd
    Mandla
    Unknown
    Moves
    10 Nov '05 17:12
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    chessatwork, timeforchess, redhotchess and redhotpawn are all the exact same sites with just different themes.

D
    Shows how much I know, lol
  6. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    11 Nov '05 14:40

Instead of using the "highest" rating in the last 30 days, what if your tournament rating was actually an average of all previous ratings. This would make banded tourneys more realistic in that highly rated people that left and came back could no long ...[text shortened]... that they need that bit of ego stroking... just an idea, let me know what you think, yea or nay
    why are you leaving?
  7. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 02:49
    Count me in -- something needs to be done. I don't care how many times it's been brought up. It needs to continue to be brought up.

The latest in this travesty is TRACKHEAD21, a 2200+ player on this site who is currenlty competing in the 1300-1500 banded tournament. Gee, I wonder if he wins.

Nonny
  8. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 07:13
    .....pasted from the General forum where I replied to a similar thread:

"What would you have him do? Not play any tournies at all?? Its not Tracks fault that the only tournies going at the moment are banded.

He needs games to lift his rating to a level that reflects his skill.

I blame RHP admin ( incl. Phlab et al ) for this situation as they could have resolved it very simply. I posted earlier that a solution might have been found in the act of just giving Track an honourary rating of about 1800 to lift him away from the vulnerable 1300 - 1700 players and effectively make him a more attractive player in terms of higher rated players who would be then more inclined to play him as, in the event of a loss, the drop in the rating would be less traumatic.

But no. It all fell on deaf ears so I say, stop whinning to Track and direct your gripes to Russ for it is he and he and his alone than can resolve this.

Failing that just get over it. Track will eventually regain the lost ground at the expense of lower rated players simply because Russ et al couldn't / didn't manage his return to active play."

skeeter
  9. Berks.
    Moves
    15 Nov '05 19:15
    But Skeeter, whilst Trackhead might be one of the more visible cases, he isn't the only one. Which if used would need to be something open to other players - so an automated solution must surely be preferable. And necessary.

In my own experience banded tournaments have provided some of my more memorable clashes on RHP, interesting games that actually matter for the outcome of the group. And I'm sure I can't be alone there. A vastly better player will walk these tournaments.

It's good to be able to play against higher levels of players, but banded tournies isn't the place for it.

Of course with other suggestions on offer such as continually open tournamnents (say a 3/7 and 21/21) are used that'd solve (hopefully) the problem of wanting any tournament available
  10. Standard membernonnymoose
    Average Guy
    Chicago, IL
    Moves
    16 Nov '05 04:15
    Originally posted by skeeter
    .....pasted from the General forum where I replied to a similar thread:

"What would you have him do? Not play any tournies at all?? Its not Tracks fault that the only tournies going at the moment are banded.

He needs games to lift his rating to a level that reflects his skill.

I blame RHP admin ( incl. Phlab et al ) for this situation as they ...[text shortened]... rs simply because Russ et al couldn't / didn't manage his return to active play."

skeeter
    We all have the issue of waiting for a tournament to open. As a 1300 player, I'm constantly missing the banded tournaments because my group fills up so fast.

What do I do? Do I go play in the 800 pool because I can't get the games I want? I would not even if I could.

Here's an idea.....post a bunch of open invites if you want more games. Or wait for the appropriate tourney to come around like the rest of us have to do.

Nonny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree