1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 15:18
    The recommendation system at RHP is absolutely terrible and generally pointless. It should be repalced with a simple thumbs up/thumbs down system and the recommended posts page should be removed entirely.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 17:16
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The recommendation system at RHP is absolutely terrible and generally pointless. It should be repalced with a simple thumbs up/thumbs down system and the recommended posts page should be removed entirely.
    Rec'd....err, I mean, thumb up. [I feel like Siskel and Ebert.]
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 17:40
    Up what?
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 17:43
    I was about to slag you, but I now notice there is Only 2 Pages of Rec post.

Everyone run out? Did all posts go to pot?

Word Up!
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 18:413 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I was about to slag you, but I now notice there is Only 2 Pages of Rec post.

Everyone run out? Did all posts go to pot?

Word Up!
    While we're at it, we could have thumbs up/down counters for each poster. That would show who's getting overall the most positive and negative reactions. Then, people could complain about 'gang thumbing' by opposing cliques, and whine that the thumb counters meant nothing. Then Russ could abolish the counters. Then, other people could whine that the thumbing meant nothing because there was no longer a total thumb count. People could leave the site in protest, arguing that the changes to the thumb system took all the fun out of posting.

And then, the third iteration of the Matrix begins...
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 18:52
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    While we're at it, we could have thumbs up/down counters for each poster. That would show who's getting overall the most positive and negative reactions. Then, people could complain about 'gang thumbing' by opposing cliques, and whine that the thumb counters meant nothing. Then Russ could abolish the counters. Then, other people could whine that the thum ...[text shortened]... em took all the fun out of posting.

And then, the third iteration of the Matrix begins...
    Okay, okay. I see your point. At the same time, I feel negative reinforcement may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I believe it would improve the dynamic here.

Let's face it - recs are stale. Very few people still rec posts as is evidenced by the lack of them. Change it up.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 19:14
    Okay, okay. I see your point. At the same time, I feel negative reinforcement may be exactly what the doctor ordered. I believe it would improve the dynamic here.

Let's face it - recs are stale. Very few people still rec posts as is evidenced by the lack of them. Change it up.
    I'd rec this but I disagree. There should be an anti-rec too.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 19:16
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    I'd rec this but I disagree. There should be an anti-rec too.
    So you agree then.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 20:12
    So you agree then.
    Partially. Should be anti-recs, but I kind of like the way the rec system works.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 14:371 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Partially. Should be anti-recs, but I kind of like the way the rec system works.
    "Rec" and "Anti-rec" as terms are retarded. "Anti-Rec" doesn't even make sense. Do you anti-disagree with that?

I just had a look at the recommended posts page and it is seriously hurting. Only 32 total recs and 1.5 pages of posts. The post themselves are mostly slags at Grampy Bobby and one-liners. Clearly only a handful of people are using them.
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    29 Apr '10 18:15
    "Rec" and "Anti-rec" as terms are retarded. "Anti-Rec" doesn't even make sense. Do you anti-disagree with that?

I just had a look at the recommended posts page and it is seriously hurting. Only 32 total recs and 1.5 pages of posts. The post themselves are mostly slags at Grampy Bobby and one-liners. Clearly only a handful of people are using them.
    Retarded is it? I'm definitely anti-reccing that. Sometimes it's possible to over-think stuff you know dude.
  12. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 03:08

The posts that have gone over, say, 10 in the past year have all been attacks on GB or really good site ideas. There haven't been any excellent ideas lately, and GB has been (thankfully) banned for a little while. With these factors, nobody writes reccable posts. So, like it or not, the rec system is essentially built around GB.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 08:331 edit
    I see myself is this paragraph. I hope it's not in the word "retarded", though.

What do you think of Anthropology?
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 15:13
    i still hold a certain fondness for the recommended page list... if it's been poor lately it just proves the point about the forums being in a slump. like the thumbs up/down idea though... we need an anti post feature. perhaps have a retarded 'page of shame' for the posts that get the most thumbs down.
  15. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '10 15:163 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    have a retarded 'page of shame' for the posts that get the most thumbs down.
    That's the stupidest idea I've heard in a while although perhaps you are joking.

Personally, I don't think the forums are necessarily in a "slump". I still see decent threads in most of the different forums, I just think the "rec" has lost its charm entirely.

I'm not looking to centre out "bad" posters at all. I'm just like the idea of a fresh, more objective system. That's why the term anti-anything is inappropriate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree