Your example.
  3. Joined
    19 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 19:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Your example.
    No.

Have you read my post or you're just taking the piss out of me?
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 19:52
    Originally posted by Fisich
    No.

Have you read my post or you're just taking the piss out of me?
    Me? Taking the piss? Never!

"Of course if someone has fun stealing candies to kids he's free to do it........"

Explain how this example actually relates to the issue at hand.
  5. Joined
    19 Jul '05
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 20:04
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Me? Taking the piss? Never!

"Of course if someone has fun stealing candies to kids he's free to do it........"

Explain how this example actually relates to the issue at hand.
    Well,I thought you got the analogy..............

Don't you think that winning against players rated 400 points below you it's easy as stealing candy from a kid?

Then I said that he's free to do it,what's your problem?

My first post here speaks of mass resignations by another player,it has nothing to do with what you're trying to bring out from my posts,helden was brought as an example of player who plays only for the # of moves and I never said he harms someone...........then I said that he's free to do it,what's your problem?

..........in my opinion you're just speaking for bothering sake.
  6. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 21:13
    Well,I thought you got the analogy..............

Don't you think that winning against players rated 400 points below you it's easy as stealing candy from a kid?

Then I said that he's free to do it,what's your problem?

My first post here speaks of mass resignations by another player,it has nothing to do with what you're trying to bring out from m ...[text shortened]... do it,what's your problem?

..........in my opinion you're just speaking for bothering sake.
    If they didn't want to get their candy stolen they shouldn't have accepted the invite.
  7. In your face
    Moves
    09 Aug '05 22:28
    Is it stealing candy from kids though. These rapid movers barely have time to think about their moves so it kinda puts it level. Ish.
  8. Donationmurrow
    penguinpuffin
    finsbury
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 14:51

jeez you guys, THINK OF THE CHILDREN

candy in hand, walking along, the sun's out ... then

BAM

helden's taken their candy and runs away laughing, stuffing the sticky treats down his evil evil throat. the children didn't agree to this, they didn't accept some invitation. their only crime was to love candy.
  9. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    10 Aug '05 23:57
    Of course I am no one to judge how someone gets their satisfaction, but it's common sense that you have more satisfaction playing and beating someone rated like you with a good game than playing and beating tons of kids who barely know how to castle.
    Having read this thread, I feel fisich has not been caught up in the addictive nature of rhp.

At first, you like to play online chess, you play to win and 6 games satisfys all your needs.

Then you subsscribe and you begin to play lots of games, the pleasure shifts from winning to playing. Winning comes second, the pleasure of playing is all consuming.

The pleasure of playing over time gets replaced by a primal urge to move, you no longer enjoy moving but you become irritable if you haven't moved. You cannot go on holiday without sneaking into an internet cafe, or in Freddie's case you can't go for a night out without rhp for an evening.

Before you know it "0 games waiting" is a double edged sword, you strive to get to that point but if it stays like that for 5 minutes you are desparate to move checking open tournaments, or if your really addicted you are badgering your clan leader for games.

At this level In this case mass resignation, is understandable. Like the smoker crushing his cigarette packet in an attempt to control the habit rather than the habit controlling him.

We need an RHP Anonymous organisation.

10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by invigorate
    Having read this thread, I feel fisich has not been caught up in the addictive nature of rhp.

At first, you like to play online chess, you play to win and 6 games satisfys all your needs.

Then you subsscribe and you begin to play l ...[text shortened]... bit controlling him.

We need an RHP Anonymous organisation.

Yes, this gets my rec. - lets start a clan that never makes or accepts challenges.
  11. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 02:37
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Yes, this gets my rec. - lets start a clan that never makes or accepts challenges.
    Ha it'll never work.
  12. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 12:38
    .............a couple of days ago I started a game with this guy,Freddie2004,who was rated about 1400,and today,after 14 moves and an even position, I found that he resigned the game with the rating of 1019 because he resigned something like 50 games at once.......

What's the point of doing this? I started a game with the will to play a game of chess,not ...[text shortened]... in a day..........

I really don't know what to say but it's a very disappointing behaviour.
    I am in the process of resigning all my games. I am playing way too much chess, and as a result in some cases I am barely thinking before making stupid moves. I need a break from chess, and on my return I need to take it much more seriously.

I have resigned as many games as I can, and have taken the time outs on some as well to get my waiting games down to zero. The only games I won't resign are four Clan games from months ago (back when I was in a Clan).

Why is this disappointing behaviour? I am not stealing points off anyone, and my opponents can quite easily set up another game with no negative impact to their rating (quite the reverse in some cases).

I admit that there will be a problem when I return to the fray and play with a lowered rating, and would appreciate any suggestions on how this could be best managed.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 13:17
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    I am in the process of resigning all my games. I am playing way too much chess, and as a result in some cases I am barely thinking before making stupid moves. I need a break from chess, and on my return I need to take it much more seriously.

I have resigned as many games as I can, and have taken the time outs on some as well to get my waiting games do ...[text shortened]... y with a lowered rating, and would appreciate any suggestions on how this could be best managed.
    It's tricky as using clan games to get you back up again isn't really fair. Several players have done this. Enter an open tournament - not one of the banded ones - as you have an unfair advantage. It'll take about 20-30 games to get your rating back to within 100 of what it was after which it's not a great problem to anyone. You should probably mention it on your profile.
  14. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 15:49
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's tricky as using clan games to get you back up again isn't really fair. Several players have done this. Enter an open tournament - not one of the banded ones - as you have an unfair advantage. It'll take about 20-30 games to get your rating back to within 100 of what it was after which it's not a great problem to anyone. You should probably mention it on your profile.
    Thanks for that. I should add that I am not resigning the four outstanding Clan games because I promised to play them out to the best of my ability back when I was in the Clan (I'm not any more). However, I have offered to draw the four games (all against the same opponent) - I am ahead in three of them...

I won't be using Clan games to get my rating back up as I am no longer in a Clan...
  15. Johannesburg
    Moves
    11 Aug '05 18:03
    This whole thread raises a number of issues.

1) Realising you've overreached yourself in number of games.
    Even as a non-subscriber, I've been stretched with only 6 games due to work pressure (maybe I take my games too seriously). However, I could never see myself resigning all my games:
    - I'd stop accepting games
    - Offer draws in even positions
    - Message opponents and explain my problem (there are those of us who would prefer to finish the game instead of arbitrarily claiming timeouts)
    - Try arrange to be online at the same time as some opponents, in an attempt to finish some games in a single sitting.
    ... then again, I've never needed to reduce 100 games. 🙂

2) Deciding to leave the site.
    Here resigning your games is a polite thing to do (I currently have an opponent who seems to have disappeared).
    However: There is the problem that every resignation drops your rating, which means some opponents benefit more than others, and provisionally rated players can even lose out.
    A useful feature may be to close an account, automatically resigning all games 'simultaneously'. (Laughable because people who want this feature don't intend using it themselves.) 🙄

3) Players intentionally bringing their ratings down.
    Apparently some people do this so they can try win low rating band tournaments. Fortunately I think the 'highest rating in 30 days' feature reduces this.

4) Rating adjustment calculations.
    (This has probably been discussed hundreds of times in other threads.)
    As it stands, adjustments are calculated on end-of-game ratings. This creates a problem in that you could challenge an 1800 rated player, fight valiantly for a draw, only to have your rating drop because the opponent now has an 1100 rating.
    I realise that using start-of-game ratings has its own set of problems but here are some other options:
    - Instead of updating ratings whenever games finish, do weekly batch updates. (It could 'smooth' things out a little).
    - Calculate White's adjustment using White's end-of-game rating, vs. Black's start-of-game rating (or average rating), and vice-versa for Black.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree