1. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 20:07
    The 250 character limit for private game notes is too small for me. It takes about 15 characters for every move, i.e. 20. Ne5+ Nxe5. So there's only space for about 16 moves.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 08:00
    Originally posted by bcaulf
    The 250 character limit for private game notes is too small for me. It takes about 15 characters for every move, i.e. 20. Ne5+ Nxe5. So there's only space for about 16 moves.
    I would like one note for each move. And this note would be included in the PGN file, if wanted by a click-box. By this you can annotate the game as is flows.

But I also would like the note for the whole game to be there, as now, of course.
  3. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 22:41
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I would like one note for each move. And this note would be included in the PGN file, if wanted by a click-box. By this you can annotate the game as is flows.

But I also would like the note for the whole game to be there, as now, of course.
    I second that. Also, it would be nice to be able to edit the current-move note on the Game Analysis window.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 03:281 edit
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    I second that. Also, it would be nice to be able to edit the current-move note on the Game Analysis window.
    When it's your move, you can edit the note and then click submit without making a move. Then the new note will stick.
    Not particularly intuitive, but it works.
  5. Hell
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 12:35
    It would be good to be able to put private annotation against the pgn (could even replace notes) and, perhaps optionally, the conversation between ones opponent and oneself. With a timeout of 21 days it can be tricky to keep track of ideas and conversation (with my memory anyway!). Subsequent pgn downloads would be more enlightening too.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 17:30
    Game annotation (including PGNs with comments) is just getting some last minute polish - it is very nearly ready for release. It may go live this weekend...(no promises)
  7. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Aug '10 12:161 edit
    Recommended.

In a recent game with a corrupted pgn I couldn't even paste the correct history into the notebook after 22 moves as all the characters had been used up. Instead I had to create a notepad document on my desktop. Sometimes in complicated positions where I have a promising attack I like to explore several variations quite deeply but am unable to record them because of this character restriction.

This is blatant character assassination! Say NO to oppression! Free the characters!
  8. Joined
    09 Apr '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:532 edits
    I totally agree and have also run out of space in many games. Sometimes I want to describe a general strategy that I'm thinking about without calling out specific moves such as, "maybe I need to move my pawns to white squares to block his bishop."

You write one sentence like that and you've used up a lot of your 250 character limit with that one statement.

As a side note, I've also observed that the character count is not always displayed accurately as you type. Sometimes it will say 248, but when you try to save your notes you find out you were really at 255 and then part of your notes gets truncated.
  9. Joined
    09 Apr '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 22:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When it's your move, you can edit the note and then click submit without making a move. Then the new note will stick.
    Not particularly intuitive, but it works.
    Just want to add a comment about this as well. I think it would be nice if the "Save Game Notes" link was there even if it is your move so that you don't need to hit the submit button to save your notes. The link exists if it's your opponents move so why not always make it available to save your notes?

It always makes me nervous having to hit the submit move button just to save game notes, as I might accidentally commit a move that I wasn't ready to make if I'm not careful.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree