1. Graceland.
    Moves
    09 Nov '04 21:20
    Ok, I decide to take my chess a little more seriously and get my rankings up to 1400. I have THREE days that I simply put can't move as I'm working from morning to way past midnight... I manage to take 5 mins to put my holiday settings on explaining I can't move, but will be able to on tuesday ... and when I finally come back to RHP, what is my ranking ? 1209. 10 Timeouts (out of 51 games).

We all need to take holiday SOME time, or simply can't move for like one week for whatever reason. Why does that have to mean we lose to jerks who claim wins simpy because they know they won't beat you otherwise ?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before and I also know a drop in rankings due to timeouts has caused people to leave RHP. Is it not about time we all get 10 days a year 'protected holiday' from RHP ?

cheers
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Nov '04 23:49
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    Ok, I decide to take my chess a little more seriously and get my rankings up to 1400. I have THREE days that I simply put can't move as I'm working from morning to way past midnight... I manage to take 5 mins to put my holiday settings on explaining I can't move, but will be able to on tuesday ... and when I finally come back to RHP, what is my ranking ? ...[text shortened]... e RHP. Is it not about time we all get 10 days a year 'protected holiday' from RHP ?

cheers
    I mentioned that b4, and I got shot down straight away. Its definately a good idea. If you have a specified number of days where you can't be T/O'd and everybody had the same number of days, then a lot of the unfairness and greed for points would go away.

Check out this thread, for my take on it, and people's responses...
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=13280

As it stands, you have to plan up to 4 months in advance if you foresee a holiday. Its just not right.

D
  3. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    10 Nov '04 02:56
    I don't claim a win for anybody with a vacation flag up. I also don't send any warnings. If someone doesn't have his flag up and goes over the three days, I claim. I expect others to do the same to me. I went on a vacation over two weeks with no access to a computer, put a vacation flag, but some people still claimed a win. I didn't gripe about it, I just moved on.
  4. Graceland.
    Moves
    10 Nov '04 20:54
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I mentioned that b4, and I got shot down straight away. Its definately a good idea. If you have a specified number of days where you can't be T/O'd and everybody had the same number of days, then a lot of the unfairness and greed for points would go away.

Check out this thread, for my take on it, and people's responses...
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=13280

As it stands, you have to plan up to 4 months in advance if you foresee a holiday. Its just not right.

D

Hehe, yeah doesn't seem well received, but currently this system is poor. I am now playing and beating guys with 1300 - 1400 records with my 1207 account and ONLY because I got timed out. It's not fair towards anyone on holiday , and as you mentioned, the only way to prevent this is either A. Not playing against those that are inconsiderate or B. Stopping all new games 4 months in advance. I've always respected holiday flags and claim timeouts only on 1 day seige games, or severe delays without holiday flags.

The only reason I have 51 games on the go is so that I can be assured of seeing atleast 10 games when I get home at night. At this point, even going away for the weekend means I will lose games through timeout.

C'est la view I guess.
  5. UK
    Moves
    11 Nov '04 14:38
    The current system is fair, but some people choose not to respect it. You can't do much about that. Personally I don't think the system should be changed because at the moment it works in the majority of cases.

Then, say for example you were to change the system so that you can't be timed out during your ten days. Torunaments then take even longer to finish because of the cumulative effect of paused clocks. And why is it ten days? Why not five days? or 30 days?

Some people choose to time out when the flag is up. My advice to you is to pick your opponents from the people that don't do this.
  6. Graceland.
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 00:45
    Originally posted by mrmist

Some people choose to time out when the flag is up. My advice to you is to pick your opponents from the people that don't do this.

The concept behind correspondence chess is the ability to have games that could last up to even a year. To some they can recall a game they started in June, which is nearing its climax in October. For that game to now come to an abrupt descision simply because you (like every human being) must go on a holiday is daft really.

I play tournaments mostly, some clan games. A small amount of 14 days a year should not make such substantial differences to tournament durations.

7. UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 11:191 edit
    Originally posted by pcaspian

I play tournaments mostly, some clan games. A small amount of 14 days a year should not make such substantial differences to tournament durations.

i can't be sure, but I think that the problem is the effect of numbers. For example, you only have 14 days stop clocking, but so does everyone else in the torunament, which means that the overall effect is 14*number of participants. Which adds up quickly. I dunno. :/
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 12:41
    Originally posted by mrmist
    i can't be sure, but I think that the problem is the effect of numbers. For example, you only have 14 days stop clocking, but so does everyone else in the torunament, which means that the overall effect is 14*number of participants. Which adds up quickly. I dunno. :/
    Surely that's never going to happen. I know you may only say that to illustrate the worst case scenario, but its highly unlikely that 48 people will all take vacations at completely different times. The tournies go on for ever as it is, so a little longer wouldn't be the end of the world. And as Chas says, correspondence isn't supposed to be a rush job.

Of course there would be people who take the mick with the proposed system, but at least you'd know that they could only do it for 5/10/14/21/whatever days in a year. After that they would be cannon fodder for the masses of players on here who take T/Os immediately. Mrmist, your advise is not to play people who take T/Os at the first available instant. Can you explain to me how I go about finding out who these people are?

Cheers,

D
  9. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 14:16
    Any system that allows the option (when vacation flag is up) to claim the game or not claim the game is inherently inconsistent and therefore not good for a chess system. In OTB do you ever have the choice whether to claim a win or not? If your opponent goes to the bathroom and his flag drops do you set the clock back? Nope. It'll be 100% claim win. The time bank is a silly scheme too. My notion is three days (if agreed upon, more or less if not). If vacation flag is up, wait til opponent returns. If that's abused, report to sysop. Almost every opponent I have has eaten into his time bank. Sometimes I forget what the game is all about and make a stupid move. Even correspondence has to have a flow to it. The way it is now, many games are simply too disjointed to enjoy.
  10. UK
    Moves
    12 Nov '04 23:31
    I can't tell you how to find out what people will time you out with your flag up, no. But then I don't find this to be a problem, or at least as much of a problem as some of you guys do.

I prefer the system how it is. I like to retain the choice as to whether I can time out or not, and I respect that others have that choice too.

The time bank feature is fair. if you don't like games with time banks, then don't take or offer them, simple as. If you like long leisurely games and you're worried about being timed out on vacation, then set up your games as 21 day time out / 21 day bank.
  11. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    19 Nov '04 15:27
    In traditional correspondence chess, players get a holiday allowance - if I remember rightly it was 4 weeks.
    I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
    Alternatively, an allowance could be made per tournament, rather than per player?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree