2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '23 07:50
    @brrr said
    anyone know why?
    Tibet was annexed by the PRC in 1951.

RHP doesn't have flags of individual US states, either.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    19 Jul '23 08:53
    @brrr said
    anyone know why?
    I think Russ once said there isn't room on the database for every flag in the world.
    The flags are not entirely relevant anyway.
    Some players change them on a regular basis just for fun
  4. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Jul '23 12:031 edit
    @brrr said
    anyone know why?
    you know you aksed before, don't you?

Thread 188483

Searching is not awfully compliacted.
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Jul '23 18:04
    @suzianne said

And yet, some time after 1951 and before now, the flag of Tibet was available. I know this for certain, because at one time, I made a print-out of all the flags on this site, because I wanted to collect a game against them all.

And also, Russ makes the flag of the USA subject colony of Puerto Rico available on this site. Remember that famous slogan: "no taxation without representation"? Yeah, forget about it.

It's not a good look. Not a good look at all. What next, erasing the Ukrainian flag?
  6. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    19 Jul '23 21:05
    @shallow-blue said
    And yet, some time after 1951 and before now, the flag of Tibet was available. I know this for certain, because at one time, I made a print-out of all the flags on this site, because I wanted to collect a game against them all.

And also, Russ makes the flag of the USA subject colony of Puerto Rico available on this site. Remember that famous slogan: "no taxatio ...[text shortened]... et about it.

It's not a good look. Not a good look at all. What next, erasing the Ukrainian flag?
    I think one problem with Russ choosing which flags are or are not available is that it risks moving into political territory. There are a number of places around the world that have a claim to be an independent country, but, for whatever reason, are not recognised by the international community.
    To name just one - Somaliland claimed independence from Somalia in 1991 and by all accounts has been functioning pretty well since then. It has its own police force, its own currency, its own government and a working political system. It seems to be in much better shape than Somalia itself.
    But it is not recognised by the international community, presumably for geopolitical reasons, whatever they are. Somaliland’s flag is not available on this site. Should it be? If it were, it could be interpreted that this site recognises Somaliland’s independence, which could be seen as making a political statement.
    The same applies with Tibet. Rightly or wrongly, Tibet is no longer recognised by the international community as an independent country, and China take great exception to anyone doing so.
    My suggestion would be for this site to just have the flags of FIDE’s list of recognised countries (maybe it already does?) This is after all a chess site.
    Rightly or wrongly, FIDE do recognise Puerto Rico. And, rightly or wrongly, FIDE do not recognise Tibet.
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Jul '23 06:48
    @Tommovich

I think that could be agreed on by most people here.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Jul '23 18:411 edit
    @suzianne said

Taiwan and Palestine are listed at RHP, but not internationally recognized as a countries. Go figure.
  9. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    22 Jul '23 20:03
    @moonbus said
    Taiwan and Palestine are listed at RHP, but not internationally recognized as a countries. Go figure.
    Taiwan (as Chinese Taipei) and Palestine are both members of FIDE, so maybe RHP does use the list of FIDE members to decide which flags to show?
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Jul '23 10:00
    @tommovich said
    Taiwan (as Chinese Taipei) and Palestine are both members of FIDE, so maybe RHP does use the list of FIDE members to decide which flags to show?
    It does seem somewhat arbitrary, which 'countries' are listed and which aren't:

https://www.fide.com/directory/member-federations

For example, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, England, Scotland, Wales, and North Macedonia are listed separately, but not Northern Ireland. And divided Cyprus is listed only once. Moreover, technically, Bavaria never signed the German Federal Constitution and considers itself a free state, but it is also not listed.

Go figure.
  11. Joined
    03 Jul '13
    Moves
    23 Jul '23 20:02
    @moonbus said
    It does seem somewhat arbitrary, which 'countries' are listed and which aren't:

https://www.fide.com/directory/member-federations

For example, Guernsey, Jersey, Isle of Man, England, Scotland, Wales, and North Macedonia are listed separately, but not Northern Ireland. And divided Cyprus is listed only once. Moreover, technically, Bavaria never signed the German Federal Constitution and considers itself a free state, but it is also not listed.

Go figure.
    Indeed, yes, it makes no sense to me.
    Someone somewhere makes these decisions as to who does and who doesn’t get accepted as a member of FIDE, but based on what, who knows?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree