1. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 03:52
    I was thinking about how to manage game load, and one thing that occurred to me is that you can't tell much just from the number of games without looking at the timeouts. I thought it might be interesting to display the average number of moves you would need to make per day to keep up with your current game load. For example, if you had 5 1-day games, 5 3-day games, and 5 7-day games, the minimum average moves needed per day would be 5 + 5/3 + 5/7 or 7.4. (I'm ignoring the timebank because, as a one-time use only, it will factor itself out in the long run.)

You could also display this when joining a tournament, e.g.: your average move load is currently 10, by joining this tournament it will go up to 20, are you sure you want to do that? This might discourage some people from getting in way over their heads.

Anyway, I'll probably keep track of this on my own for deciding whether to enter new tournaments, etc., but I thought it might be an interesting statistic to display.
  2. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 04:34
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I was thinking about how to manage game load, and one thing that occurred to me is that you can't tell much just from the number of games without looking at the timeouts. I thought it might be interesting to display the average number of moves you would need to make per day to keep up with your current game load. For example, if you had 5 1-day games, 5 ...[text shortened]... o enter new tournaments, etc., but I thought it might be an interesting statistic to display.
    You made 1069 moves since you joined 39 days ago.

So; 1069/39=27.41 moves. Round of to nearest integer, then 27.

Your avarage number of moves per day is 27.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 08:59
    Originally posted by incandenza
    I was thinking about how to manage game load, and one thing that occurred to me is that you can't tell much just from the number of games without looking at the timeouts. I thought it might be interesting to display the average number of moves you would need to make per day to keep up with your current game load. For example, if you had 5 1-day games, 5 ...[text shortened]... o enter new tournaments, etc., but I thought it might be an interesting statistic to display.
    Not a bad idea, but it could give a misleading figure, considering you could sign up to new tournaments keeping you moves per day below your manageable level, but then 2nd rounds of other tournies could start, and your game load could go through the roof.

D
  4. Joined
    04 Jul '07
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 14:11
    Originally posted by kenan
    You made 1069 moves since you joined 39 days ago.

So; 1069/39=27.41 moves. Round of to nearest integer, then 27.

Your avarage number of moves per day is 27.
    I don't know if you really read what I wrote, but I'm talking about the minimum *required* number of moves per day (a theoretical calculation based on the number of games and their timeouts), not the *actual* number of moves made. I've made many more moves than were necessary. At my current game load, I could get by on a minimum of about 7.5 moves per day.

It's true, this wouldn't take into account things like later tournament rounds starting up. Also, it would be hard to track the "hardcore" tournaments (zero timeout). But it still could be useful as an approximation.

Also, if this was displayed in the profile, you could use it to help choose opponents who didn't seem overloaded. e.g., there is a big difference between someone with 100 21-day games in progress and someone with 100 1-day games in progress. (Of course you could also figure that out by just looking through all their games, but that would be very tedious.)
  5. The sky
    Moves
    13 Aug '07 16:27
    It sounds like a good idea to me, although I don't know how easy it would be to apply.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree