05 Feb '21 09:571 edit
    @Trev33

I'll take a look.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:021 edit
    So far, so good - errors logs empty this morning - which was not expected.
    Way too early to call this a success, but I was anticipating many more issues to pop-up just in general use of the site.

If anyone is curious what has been going on over this 2 phase update :

Phase 1 : Refactored entire code base, adopted more current best-practices. [In production now]
    Phase 2 : Strictly typed code on all server side code plus server migration to help move away from software that has reached EOL or approaching EOL (out of support) to stable current/LTS versions. [In beta now]

This is why there has been 2 new betas, but no new features to speak of.

The game explorer is getting similar attention right now, which again has similar issues - using server software now out of support.

Then the blitz too.

It can be quite some effort just to "stand still" with this stuff! 🙂
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 10:52
    @trev33 said
    Was messing around trying things, when I went to hide a post in a private club I was kicked out to the public forum list.
    Now fixed. A little too much security on that action!
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '21 20:32
    @russ said
    @Trev33

Is [=https://beta.redhotpawn.com/mysettings/mythemesettings.php] changing theme[/] not sticky for you?
    I can change the themes fine but if i use dailychess the top of the screen were the address bar is is white but on the beta it's red. Im using Chrome on a phone, maybe that's just how the beta is dasigned? Would be nice if it was either a neutral white or green like the timeforchess theme.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    09 Feb '21 18:152 edits
    Thanks again to those continuing to make their moves on the beta.

A quick update on where we are at :

Very few issues so far. A few minor bugs fixed, but nothing too serious, for users at least.

Currently the Games Explorer is being worked on, ready for a full repopulation prior to the server migration taking place. Nothing to test there yet though, so continue to avoid game explorer until the new stuff makes its way onto the beta server.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Feb '21 15:32
    @Russ

Request: could we please have board coordinates displayed for boards and games inserted into threads from PGN / FEN?
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 11:071 edit
    @moonbus

Short answer : Yes.

Long answer :

Yes, and here is why. I have worked on new board code (for variant support) and it aims to be very flexible. Obviously it is one of the most critical bits of code for the whole site to get right though.

Therefore, it will be getting a staggered release - probably making an appearance on the game explorer first, then perhaps the forum next. Replacing the game play board will probably be last. As a result, all elements, such as the PGN viewer and FEN viewer, will be updated and coordinates can be on by default - or at least optional.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 15:411 edit
    @Russ

Ta.

Would this be retro-active for boards already inserted into running or closed threads, or only going forward for PGNs/FENs inserted into new threads (when the new code rolls out) ?
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    11 Feb '21 16:04
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 17:04
    A new build just went up, plus a very timely server update that was just made available too.

The updated game explorer server should be in place next week fully populated. Updating that code reminded me that I need to get that proper forum search implemented soon that I've been promising for ever, as it will use similar tech.
  12. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 19:03
    @Russ I am seeing the same issue I have seen before where the analyze board shimmies and shakes as I go through the moves. It kind of gives me vertigo if I am going through multiple games. I have seen this before - but it stopped awhile back. Always Chrome. The computer I am on today is Windows 10 Professional - but I may have see this before on my Chromebook too - have not tested the Beta there yet.

Google Chrome is up to date
    Version 88.0.4324.150 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Side by side test just now -

Shakes

https://beta.redhotpawn.com/board/post.php?threadid=188185&frompage=2

No shakes

https://www.dailychess.com/forum/site-ideas/beta-testers-call-to-action-phase-2.188185/page-2

A
  13. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    12 Feb '21 22:20
    Chromebook - no jiggle on analysis screen - looks great

Version 88.0.4324.153 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    To see if your device is up to date, go to Chrome OS Settings
  14. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 00:291 edit
    https://beta.redhotpawn.com/clan/index.php

Net is slightly off. Too high - not centered high/low. Not right, left/right as expected.
  15. Standard memberAnitya
    Shoshin
    under a fig tree
    Moves
    13 Feb '21 00:44
    Not a fan of the green accept challenges. Accept is almost never a good idea. Making it easier or more inviting is not a benefit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree