1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 16:08
    There should be an option to add time to a game. You offer your opponent to extend the timeout ____ days and if he accepts, then time(out) is added to the game. It would not work with timebank.

This would NOT be allowed in tourneys/clan games.
    but would be useful if you set up a 1/0 game, then get real busy, and need extra time.
  2. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 04:53
    Originally posted by Ramned
    There should be an option to add time to a game. You offer your opponent to extend the timeout ____ days and if he accepts, then time(out) is added to the game. It would not work with timebank.

This would NOT be allowed in tourneys/clan games.
    but would be useful if you set up a 1/0 game, then get real busy, and need extra time.
    This already exists.

It's called "Trusting your opponent not to stomp your skull" and usually it involves at least one pleading PM.
    Your opponent can then sit back and enjoy watching your skull tempting him every day before he notices you have moved in other games, but not his.

I have used this feature many times.

(As the one being pleaded with, of course. My normal response is, "War is War, loser" and another skull for my collection...)
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 07:50
    Originally posted by c99ux
    This already exists.

It's called "Trusting your opponent not to stomp your skull" and usually it involves at least one pleading PM.
    Your opponent can then sit back and enjoy watching your skull tempting him every day before he notices you have moved in other games, but not his.

(As the one being pleaded with, ...[text shortened]... course. My normal response is, "War is War, loser" and another skull for my collection...)
    Agree. There is no law or rule that you have to click the skull. There is no law or rule to click the skull either. You chose entirely by yourself.

I looove clicking the skull. I've earned the point well. Why? I've made the position so hard for the opponent to evaluate so the time ran out.

But if the opponent asks me politely and give a good reason to it, I think I might wait a little to press my precious skull and collect the win.
  4. Joined
    25 Jul '04
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 19:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Agree. There is no law or rule that you have to click the skull. There is no law or rule to click the skull either. You chose entirely by yourself.

I looove clicking the skull. I've earned the point well. Why? I've made the position so hard for the opponent to evaluate so the time ran out.

But if the opponent asks me politely and give a good reason to it, I think I might wait a little to press my precious skull and collect the win.
    I agree that you should always claim a time-out win unless there is a vacation flag up (presumably you make an exception for vacation flags?) and indeed I do claim time-out wins. However, if I am not winning the game I will usually wait an extra day or so - you may think that this is just being soft hearted but if I start winning games through time-outs that I would otherwise not have won then my rating becomes distorted (albeit upwards). I ,like most people, want to improve my rating but to me its a measure of whether I am getting better at chess rather than a goal in itself and so I always feel a bit uneasy about claiming victories that I haven't achieved through being the better player.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 20:47
    I treat it like playing over the board and having a clock ticking. When the flag falls, skull appears, the game is over. If the person has special reasons and contacts me, I would certainly give it consideration, other than that, it is game over. I would indeed expect the same treatment with no malice.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '07 21:18
    Originally posted by charles d
    I agree that you should always claim a time-out win unless there is a vacation flag up (presumably you make an exception for vacation flags?) and indeed I do claim time-out wins. However, if I am not winning the game I will usually wait an extra day or so - you may think that this is just being soft hearted but if I start winning games through time-outs th ...[text shortened]... a bit uneasy about claiming victories that I haven't achieved through being the better player.
    My rating is now 1610 (all time high!), but I know that 40 of these points is due to recent timeouts. But I am satisfied to know that 1570 is a fair approximation of my skill. After a while this will normalize.
  7. Standard memberc99ux
    'Sir' to you
    Osaka, Japan
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 14:121 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    My rating is now 1610 (all time high!), but I know that 40 of these points is due to recent timeouts. But I am satisfied to know that 1570 is a fair approximation of my skill. After a while this will normalize.
    I've probably gained a couple of hundred points through timeouts, but I still feel my rating is too low...

I know I wouldn't have won all of those games if they'd have been played out to the end, but I wouldn't have lost them all either, so I don't think my rating would have changed much if I hadn't taken them. (Really I'm not such a bad player... I just need to stop making bad moves...)
  8. Joined
    14 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 03:41
    This already exists.

(As the one being pleaded with, ...[text shortened]... course. My normal response is, "War is War, loser" and another skull for my collection...)
    Love your sense of humour. And I also strongly agree to what you say.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '07 13:05
    I just need to stop making bad moves...)
    "It's not the good moves the makes you win.
    It's the bad moves that makes you lose."
    - An old Chinese proverb I just invented.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree