1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 11:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you call Jupiter a 'brown dwarf'? How many planets do you think our solar system has?
    I know I am in the minority. There is a definition of 'planet' that gives us eight planets. Pluto is not a planet according to this definition.

And yes, I call Jupiter a brown dwarf. But you don't have to.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 11:42
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_population#Population_III_stars

Population III, or extremely metal-poor stars (EMP),[13] are a hypothetical population of extremely massive and hot stars with virtually no metals, except possibly for intermixing ejecta from other nearby Pop III supernovae. Their existence is inferred from cosmology, but they have not yet been observed directly.

Looks like gen 1 stars are not going to significantly affect the stats.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 11:471 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I know I am in the minority. There is a definition of 'planet' that gives us eight planets. Pluto is not a planet according to this definition.

And yes, I call Jupiter a brown dwarf. But you don't have to.
    Use whatever definition you like so long as you realise that communication will not be easy. For the purposes of this thread, when I say 'planet' I am including Jupiter.
    I do agree that solar system bodies could be divided into more categories but I don't think 'brown dwarf' is a suitable name for Jupiter and it causes confusion rather than clarifying things. Better to use a term like 'gas giant' which is better understood (and more meaningful). Jupiter does not emit significant brown light.

Do you also classify Jupiter's moon Titan as a planet?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 11:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Use whatever definition you like so long as you realise that communication will not be easy. For the purposes of this thread, when I say 'planet' I am including Jupiter.
    I do agree that solar system bodies could be divided into more categories but I don't think 'brown dwarf' is a suitable name for Jupiter and it causes confusion rather than clarifying th ...[text shortened]... does not emit significant brown light.

Do you also classify Jupiter's moon Titan as a planet?
    Let's just stick with the official definitions so we don't get off-topic too much.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 12:50
    Let's just stick with the official definitions so we don't get off-topic too much.
    What do you base the brown dwarf tag for Jupiter on? I know it emits about 4 times more energy than it receives from the sun but I think a real brown dwarf would emit a lot more than that. And would be quite a bit larger. More like a brown midget....
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '15 15:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do you base the brown dwarf tag for Jupiter on? I know it emits about 4 times more energy than it receives from the sun but I think a real brown dwarf would emit a lot more than that. And would be quite a bit larger. More like a brown midget....
    Okay, a brown midget it is...
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '15 13:27
    Okay, a brown midget it is...
    Funny calling an object 120,000 Km in diameter a midget🙂 It's all relative....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree