1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '13 11:51
    So my wife and daughter took an IQ test at the same time, got the same raw score on the test. My wife, being older, clocked in at 155 but Darcy, our daughter, came in at 170 because she was 18 years younger.

So suppose I now, at the age of 72, took an IQ test. Suppose I took it with a dude 36 years old, half my age, we have the same raw score, and he clocks in at 100, would my exact same score now put me at IQ 50 or something because I should score higher because of my age?

I already know my approximate IQ, it's high but just curious how it is scored for the elderly.
  2. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 May '13 12:51
    this site is very funny

http://iq-test.co.uk/

its an iq test but you have to hand over your card detail to get the results 😡
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 May '13 15:35
    Originally posted by e4chris
    this site is very funny

Ah, a REAL IQ testπŸ™‚ Life is full of those kind, eh.
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    25 May '13 02:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So my wife and daughter took an IQ test at the same time, got the same raw score on the test. My wife, being older, clocked in at 155 but Darcy, our daughter, came in at 170 because she was 18 years younger.

So suppose I now, at the age of 72, took an IQ test. Suppose I took it with a dude 36 years old, half my age, we have the same raw score, and he clo ...[text shortened]...
    I already know my approximate IQ, it's high but just curious how it is scored for the elderly.
    I can't say I've ever heard of an IQ test result being deviated for age factor.

Did anybody explain to you why there was an age factor added, or a deviation added because of age? In my experience, a raw result may vary slightly (by a few points in either direction) over time, but overall the result will be accurate ad infinitum, disregarding mental illnesses etc.

-m.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    25 May '13 08:09
    30 years ago I was told by the Mensa organisation that any result above 140 is subjected to extra examination and some scores in the test may be varied significantly from the original scoring as a result.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    25 May '13 12:19
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    30 years ago I was told by the Mensa organisation that any result above 140 is subjected to extra examination and some scores in the test may be varied significantly from the original scoring as a result.
    That may well have been the case Kewpie, but I doubt very much there was an 'age' deviation or scrutiny attached.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '13 14:201 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    That may well have been the case Kewpie, but I doubt very much there was an 'age' deviation or scrutiny attached.
    I thought that was one of the basic tenants of IQ tests, the mental age of a subject. If you score the same raw result on an IQ test and you are 7 years old as a kid who is 14 then the result has to be factored in about the age.

That is one of the main reasons IQ tests only really show results for the young, like predicting how well they will do in school, statistically speaking of course. Some kids with IQ's of 80 have worked extremely hard because they were extremely motivated and gone all the way to a Phd. I know at least one case where exactly that happened.

But on the whole, out of a thousand kids tested, the one with the 130 will be able to do anything in the education system available now and the one with the 80 will find it very tough going and probably won't be as motivated.

But if the one with the 130 got that result at the age of 6, it might not be that at the age of 60. A child of 6 getting a high result on an IQ test is assigned a high score BECAUSE of her age. I don't know the exact formula but in general a child of 6 getting the same score as a child of 12 and the 12 yo gets a rating of 100, the 6 yo would get a rating of 200 or so. I am pretty sure that's how it works. I don't know if it's totally linear like that but that is how it works. Maybe it would work out the 6 yo only gets a 160 or something, don't know the exact details.

But for adults it has to be different because the brain has stopped growing for the most part and now is relying on brain plasticity for getting smarter or more skills. So a 40 yo would probably do just as well as a 30 yo or a 50 yo since the playing field more or less evens out as you age. Of course when you get to be 80 or 90 you will lose out at least until science catches up with the loss of brain cells we all experience as we get older.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 May '13 17:59
    Originally posted by e4chris
    this site is very funny

i dont understand ive put my card details in several times and i still havent had my results.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    25 May '13 18:01

So suppose I now, at the age of 72, took an IQ test. Suppose I took it with a dude 36 years old, half my age, we have the same raw score, and he clo ...[text shortened]...
    im not sure about age, but i know people get an automatic 100pt reduction for getting drawn into arguments with rj hinds and robbie carobbie!!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '13 22:07
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    im not sure about age, but i know people get an automatic 100pt reduction for getting drawn into arguments with rj hinds and robbie carobbie!!
    Oh jeez, my IQ now is down to 100? πŸ™‚
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 May '13 03:21

IQ drops with age. There are more experiences to draw from but mental capacity falls off. The fudge factor I am aware of taylors the examn to focus less on speed and memory skills. It is an attempt to level the playing field. I don't know why this is done because a person wants to know their current IQ instead of what it may have been when they were younger.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree