1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 15:18
    Looks like the new message from the nutrition people is the cut the carbs, specifically the processed carbs.

From the link...

Will the more recent thinking on fats and carbs be reflected in the 2010 federal Dietary Guidelines for Americans, updated once every five years? It depends on the strength of the evidence, explains Robert C. Post, deputy director of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. Findings that “have less support are put on the list of things to do with regard to more research.” Right now, Post explains, the agency’s main message to Americans is to limit overall calorie intake, irrespective of the source. “We’re finding that messages to consumers need to be short and simple and to the point,” he says. Another issue facing regulatory agencies, notes Harvard’s Stampfer, is that “the sugared beverage industry is lobbying very hard and trying to cast doubt on all these studies.”

Nobody is advocating that people start gorging themselves on saturated fats, tempting as that may sound. Some monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, such as those found in fish and olive oil, can protect against heart disease. What is more, some high-fiber carbohydrates are unquestionably good for the body. But saturated fats may ultimately be neutral compared with processed carbs and sugars such as those found in cereals, breads, pasta and cookies.

“If you reduce saturated fat and replace it with high glycemic-index carbohydrates, you may not only not get benefits—you might actually produce harm,” Ludwig argues. The next time you eat a piece of buttered toast, he says, consider that “butter is actually the more healthful component.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/carbs-against-cardio/
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 17:45
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-worst-foods-in-the-morning#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

List of worst breakfast foods includes...

Cereal, Pancakes and Waffles, Toast with Margarine (Butter would be better due to Margarine's trans fats) , Muffins, Fruit Juice (Good-bye Orange Juice), Toaster Pastries, Scones with Jam and Cream, Sweetened Non-Fat Yogurt, Granola Bars and Processed Gluten Free Breakfast Foods.

Looks like those healthy breakfast Muffins are not healthy afterall, especially when coupled with a glass of orange juice.
  3. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 20:10
    @Eladar
    Any natural food that's processed and modified can be potentially dangerous and deadly. Example: decades ago a food scientist found that homogenized milk is not milk, but an unnatural substance that only resembles milk because the super-high pressure actually alters the delicate milk proteins. This explains why milk was giving me horrible allergies when I drank it as a teen.
    Meanwhile our food industry found ways to modify just about everything with zero regard to peoples health while the FDA looks the other way. But that's a whole-nother story for another time.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 20:16
    @bunnyknight

At least the information is on the internet for anyone who wants to find it. I have never had a negative reaction to milk, but I have given it up anyhow.

Fats and Protiens are essential, Carbs are not essential. What the government was telling us in the 80's has been proven to be completely wrong. Going low fat and replacing that fat with sugar and other processed carbs did nothing other than create a nation of diabetics.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 01:55
    @bunnyknight
    Was lactose intolerance ruled out? Two of our sons have that and we had to make gluten free bread every day.
  6. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 04:351 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @bunnyknight
    Was lactose intolerance ruled out? Two of our sons have that and we had to make gluten free bread every day.
    All I know is that a single gulp of standard supermarket cow milk would totally mess-up my sinuses, and it would take exactly 5 days for the allergy-toxins to clear out. However, I have absolutely no problem consuming cultured whole-milk full-fat products such as natural cheese, yogurt or cultured sour cream.

As for gluten, I read many reports that the entire gluten disaster is not the fault of wheat, but the fault of our food industry whose geniuses managed to turn even whole-grain wheat - one of the the most nutritious foods on Earth - into a toxic substance. I eat bread and grains all the time and have zero problems, as long as I stay away from enriched breads or herbicide-drenched grains.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '21 12:581 edit
    @bunnyknight

Grains are a sugar issue. Carbs get converted by the body into sugars. As long as your body does well with the carb load you are giving it with that grain, there is not issue. If you need to drop your blood sugar, grains are the first place to start (other than other processed carbs like twinkies).

I gave up on grains and get my fiber from Gluccomannon and Psyllium. I plan on adding apple pectin to the list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree