Playing games for science

Playing games for science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21d

So here (I think nature has no paywall): https://www.nature.com/articles/s41587-024-02175-6

Authors report on how they made vast progress using a minigame within a popular video game to get high numbers of data oints by game-playing people.
This is citizen science at its best, when people help science without even knowing and no expertise required.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
17d

@Ponderable
What are they trying to show?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
23h 10m

@sonhouse
BLS crowdsources a multiple alignment task of 1 million 16S ribosomal RNA sequences obtained from human microbiome studies.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18h 56m

@Ponderable
Wouldn't that mean to get correlation data they would have to have DNA samples from the players as well as the game data?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
15h 45m

@sonhouse said
@Ponderable
Wouldn't that mean to get correlation data they would have to have DNA samples from the players as well as the game data?
No they obtain snippets of RNA and then they match what they have and try to reconstruct the original.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
10h 46m
1 edit

@Ponderable
Snippets of RNA from a million people? How do they do that? Snippets from other folks not in the study?
Oh, I get it now, it helps to actually read the article🙂 So the game is to put the snippets together by the game, now it makes sense. Kind of like having supercomputers on the cheap, eh.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
4h 12m

@sonhouse

No millions of people get tasks for reconstruction snippets of a single sample.