1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 18:14
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

http://www.physorg.com/news196943667.html
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 00:47
    da Vinci code

(barf)
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 02:51
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    da Vinci code

(barf)
    You got me con vinced😉
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 06:39
    Maybe there was an esoteric structure that was forgotten. All the same, Plato says quite a lot even when not speaking in code.

I'd bet the 'code' doesn't contain the 'key' to Plato's writing but enriches its form, much like the geometrical puzzles in those Renaissance paintings.

As it happens, Plato managed to get into political trouble whether he used a code or not.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 07:47
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Inside Plato's works are hidden codes that he put in to hide his real philosophy and political leanings which would have gotten him killed if the authorities of the time had found out. They were coded as a time capsule, a gift to the future for someone to unravel. That has been done now, or at least a solid beginning of such:

The linked article makes all sorts of ridiculous claims such as:

This could transform today's culture wars between science and religion.

This will transform the early history of Western thought, and especially the histories of ancient science, mathematics, music, and philosophy.

He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wisdom society.

and suggests that Plato needed to hide his views, yet justifies this by pointing out that his views as expressed in his unencoded writings were dangerous.

It also doesn't actually say anything about what is contained in these supposedly hidden codes, nor who they were intended for in the first place.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:02

He adds: "This is the beginning of something big. It will take a generation to work out the implications. All 2,000 pages contain undetected symbols."

Similar to my own discovery of the secret codes within Stephen Hawkings work .. unfortunately it will take a generation to unravel ... stay tuned!
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:29
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    He adds: "This is the beginning of something big. It will take a generation to work out the implications. All 2,000 pages contain undetected symbols."

Similar to my own discovery of the secret codes within Stephen Hawkings work .. unfortunately it will take a generation to unravel ... stay tuned!
    Ah!

Sometimes scientific journalism makes me cry!
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 10:51
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Kim Jong Il could work it out over a round of golf.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 15:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Kim Jong Il could work it out over a round of golf.
    Chuck Norris could decode it while halfway to moving his fist to that giant block of ice....
  10. Joined
    25 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The linked article makes all sorts of ridiculous claims such as:

This could transform today's culture wars between science and religion.

This will transform the early history of Western thought, and especially the histories of ancient science, mathematics, music, and philosophy.

[i]He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wis contained in these supposedly hidden codes, nor who they were intended for in the first place.
    "He shifted humanity from a warrior society to a wisdom society. "

To be clear, I have my reservations about this "coding" business....

...But, I object to you saying that this particular claim is ridiculous. Alot of people have made this claim in some form or another -- usually much more cautiously.

In Twilight of the Idols, for instance, Nietzsche says that, with the dialectic, Socrates "created a new agon." I don't think that it's inaccurate to say that Socrates and Plato marked an important transition away from an age when Homeric heroes represented the ideal role model for public life.
  11. Joined
    25 Jun '10
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 21:55

Here's the full text of the essay featured in Apeiron.

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/jay.kennedy/Kennedy_Apeiron_proofs.pdf
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 05:05
    Originally posted by mrj0hn50n
    ...But, I object to you saying that this particular claim is ridiculous. Alot of people have made this claim in some form or another -- usually much more cautiously.

In Twilight of the Idols, for instance, Nietzsche says that, with the dialectic, Socrates "created a new agon." I don't think that it's inaccurate to say that Socrates and Plato marked an ...[text shortened]... ition away from an age when Homeric heroes represented the ideal role model for public life.
    If it was said more cautiously it might have a chance, but as is, it is a ridiculous claim. It implies the whole world is a society that was totally transformed by Plato. Utter nonsense.

I doubt either Socrates or Plato had much effect outside their own country for quite a while at least, and I doubt they can single handedly claim responsibility for a cultural change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree