1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 21:02
    @wildgrass said
    We were comparing fossil fuels vs. nuclear. You thought fossil fuels were the best because they were cheaper. But fuel cost of coal is higher. Facilities cost is higher. They receive $1.3 billion in subsidies on a good year. That was my point.

Many other studies (beyond the one I presented earlier) have shown that the marginal costs of nuclear is lower than coal. Pages 6 ...[text shortened]... -version-120-vfinal.pdf

Who is telling you coal is cheap? Where are you getting that information?
    https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power/florida-and-georgia-nuclear-power-projects-too-risky#.XDexJM17m1s
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '19 22:18
    @metal-brain said
    https://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear-power/cost-nuclear-power/florida-and-georgia-nuclear-power-projects-too-risky#.XDexJM17m1s
    It's 57 pages long. What about this report proves your point that coal is cheaper? We have already established that the risks of nuclear power is mostly fear-mongering. What are the quantifiable risks? In terms of costs, this report clearly shows that, while the initial capital investment is higher, the fuel cost of nuclear is less than coal so the long-term cost per unit of energy is lower.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '19 00:40
    @wildgrass said
    It's 57 pages long. What about this report proves your point that coal is cheaper? We have already established that the risks of nuclear power is mostly fear-mongering. What are the quantifiable risks? In terms of costs, this report clearly shows that, while the initial capital investment is higher, the fuel cost of nuclear is less than coal so the long-term cost per unit of energy is lower.
    The initial capital investment is much higher. That is why it is too expensive. Existing coal and nuclear plants should continue to operate. Natural gas seems to be the lowest cost for new plants based on what I have read from different sources, but it is possible that has changed. Solar might be competitive in certain parts of the country.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 04:331 edit
    @metal-brain said
    The initial capital investment is much higher. That is why it is too expensive. Existing coal and nuclear plants should continue to operate. Natural gas seems to be the lowest cost for new plants based on what I have read from different sources, but it is possible that has changed. Solar might be competitive in certain parts of the country.
    Cheap stuff is cheap because it doesn't last as long.

I would prefer that you provide references for your statements regarding relative cost of various energy sources. I have provided multiple independent studies that demonstrate nuclear is cheaper than coal in the long run, from a purely economic standpoint. Based on the information I have, it is very clearly not too expensive.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 10:30
    @wildgrass said
    Cheap stuff is cheap because it doesn't last as long.

I would prefer that you provide references for your statements regarding relative cost of various energy sources. I have provided multiple independent studies that demonstrate nuclear is cheaper than coal in the long run, from a purely economic standpoint. Based on the information I have, it is very clearly not too expensive.
    Natural gas power plants are less expensive to build. I have never heard they do not last long. What is your source of info?
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '19 16:26
    @metal-brain said
    Natural gas power plants are less expensive to build. I have never heard they do not last long. What is your source of info?
    The same sources as before.

Energy produced using natural gas is more expensive because the fuel costs a lot more.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 04:46
    @wildgrass said
    The same sources as before.

Energy produced using natural gas is more expensive because the fuel costs a lot more.
    and I'm giving you the same source as before saying that is incorrect. It is not just the cost of the fuel, it is the cost of the power plant as well.

8. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '19 18:311 edit
    @metal-brain said
    and I'm giving you the same source as before saying that is incorrect. It is not just the cost of the fuel, it is the cost of the power plant as well.

Yes, capital costs are higher for building nuclear, but the fuel is a lot cheaper. Existing nuclear plants have been around for 50 years, and newly built nuclear plants are expected to run for 100 years. So the cost is lower overall. The report you cited seems to show exactly that.

You must have read the report since you are convinced I am incorrect. As I asked you before, where in that 57-page report does it claim that energy produced from nuclear plants cost more than coal or gas? I can't find it.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Jan '19 15:43
    @wildgrass said
    Yes, capital costs are higher for building nuclear, but the fuel is a lot cheaper. Existing nuclear plants have been around for 50 years, and newly built nuclear plants are expected to run for 100 years. So the cost is lower overall. The report you cited seems to show exactly that.

You must have read the report since you are convinced I am incorrect. As I asked you befor ...[text shortened]... does it claim that energy produced from nuclear plants cost more than coal or gas? I can't find it.
    The fuel for solar and wind is free so I don't see your point.

http://coaleducation.org/q&a/10_reasons_why_coal.htm

It turns out I was right the first time. Coal is generally cheaper. It depends on the region though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-03/for-cheapest-power-on-earth-look-skyward-as-coal-falls-to-solar
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '19 19:04
    @metal-brain said
    The fuel for solar and wind is free so I don't see your point.

http://coaleducation.org/q&a/10_reasons_why_coal.htm

It turns out I was right the first time. Coal is generally cheaper. It depends on the region though.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-03/for-cheapest-power-on-earth-look-skyward-as-coal-falls-to-solar
    These are just different references? What do they add beyond what we already saw?

Two whole pages of comments ago, when asked why you think fossil fuel burning is the best source of electricity, you said "coal is cheap. that is my logic." I gave you several references that showed nuclear energy is cheaper (primarily because of much lower fuel cost) and the 57-page document you provided seems to concur. Where does any of this show that nuclear is more expensive than coal?

Now you are adding solar and wind to the discussion, a point I was not trying to make at all. We can go there if you want, and my counter-argument to those power sources (Which are better than coal) is that they take up a TON of real estate. I would much prefer a single sealed facility inside a mountain to store nuclear waste than to have thousands of mountain-tops pocked with windmills. Since you can't make your point about coal, are you just trying to change the subject?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 03:53
    @wildgrass said
    These are just different references? What do they add beyond what we already saw?

Two whole pages of comments ago, when asked why you think fossil fuel burning is the best source of electricity, you said "coal is cheap. that is my logic." I gave you several references that showed nuclear energy is cheaper (primarily because of much lower fuel cost) and the 57-page docume ...[text shortened]... th windmills. Since you can't make your point about coal, are you just trying to change the subject?
    Different sources of information are misleading and I have found that out. Many articles try to impose emission costs as an effort to mislead. This is often referred to as "externality".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externality

Because externalities are an estimated cost it is a guess. In fact, many articles I have read base their estimates on a future carbon tax. The bull crap just continues to amaze me.

Coal is the cheapest source of electricity. Natural gas is a close second and solar is catching up. Those are the facts.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 04:18
    @metal-brain saidCoal is the cheapest source of electricity. Natural gas is a close second and solar is catching up. Those are the facts.
    You haven't presented any facts, only opinions. Source please?
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 06:081 edit
    @wildgrass said
    You haven't presented any facts, only opinions. Source please?
    Right back at you. I posted a Bloomberg article saying coal was the world's cheapest electricity source. If you have a reason to think that is incorrect it is you that should provide a source, just make sure there is no externality estimate bunk used to mislead. Carbon taxes are not inevitable. It should not be part of cost analysis.

Here is a suggestion. Ask your electricity provider. They ought to know. Just keep in mind what may be cheapest in one region may not be in another.
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 22:03
    @metal-brain said
    Right back at you. I posted a Bloomberg article saying coal was the world's cheapest electricity source.
    That's strange because the other three references we looked at said levelized cost of nuclear was cheaper. The bloomberg article is behind a paywall. Why do you trust that source more than the other three?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 09:481 edit
    @wildgrass said
    That's strange because the other three references we looked at said levelized cost of nuclear was cheaper. The bloomberg article is behind a paywall. Why do you trust that source more than the other three?
    That is assuming the cost of the nuclear power plant does not go over budget. They always do. That was the whole point of the article I posted. Your article was based on estimates and estimates are often very wrong. There is a reason most electricity is generated by coal and NG. It isn't a mistake.

https://dddusmma.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/eia-levalized-costs-can-be-misleading/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree