1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 May '08 22:12
    Can something like cement kilns be the answer to our garbage problem?
    I remember hearing once that they burn so hot they break waste down to molecular level.
    Apparently anything flammable can be thrown in there and not too much pollutants escape.

I don't really know too much about chemistry etc. to comment on this - Does anyone know if this is even remotely true?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 May '08 22:42
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I remember hearing once that they burn so hot they break waste down to molecular level.
    Apparently anything flammable can be thrown in there and not too much pollutants escape.

I don't really know too much about chemistry etc. to comment on this - Does anyone know if this is even remotely true?
    There are already power plants run on garbage. Here is one such plan:
    http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18328/
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 May '08 02:55
    Originally posted by Crowley

Not likely.

Even when you burn the stuff, you end up with ash at the bottom that needs to be disposed...and the burning process causes the garbage to turn from non-hazardous into hazardous material and must be dumped at a haz-waste landfill...not too many of those around.

I can give you a 1800 number if you want more info...ask for darv!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree