1. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    19 May '05 21:47
    Originally posted by The Plumber
    At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag....

I'm actually not a plumber. I'm a licensed professional engineer (mechanical) - the alias comes from the fact that I am in an extended home improvement project of replacing most of the pipes in my 35+ year old home (kitchen, laundry room, and one bathroom down - two bathrooms to go).

I noticed th ...[text shortened]... I'd had a good "engineering safety factor" of 50%, and go with a radius of about 4.75 meters.
    I agree. That's what I assumed as well, leading to my initial answer.
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 May '05 22:071 edit
    At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag....

I'm actually not a plumber. I'm a licensed professional engineer (mechanical) - the alias comes from the fact that I am in an extended home improvement project of replacing most of ...[text shortened]... safety factor" of 50%, and go with a radius of about 4.75 meters.
    I too am an engineer (chemical - well, almost...I have 4 more months of work experience left before I can receive my professional designation), so it's good to get some perspective and experience from others in the field. I work in the environmental field, specifically waste, and I have seen some double-walled tanks. Never had the chance to fire a shotgun at a ballistic-proof tank yet! Maybe one day...

Most often a double-walled tank without a berm is sufficient for approval of a spill protection strategy provided it can capture 110% of the tank volume, but having a berm will definitely increase the safety factor. And you're right, the main concern is the capture and containment of the fluid, whether it travels by land, sea or air.

The radius of the barrier should be SQRT(11), because the tank itself rests on the ground and takes up PI m3 of containment space, but I think your safety-factor answer is quite reasonable as the double-walled tank will take care of any internal free jets. I still think loss of containment from splashing wouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to contain spilled flubber.
  3. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    19 May '05 22:12
    Originally posted by PBE6
    The radius of the barrier should be SQRT(11), because the tank itself rests on the ground and takes up PI m3 of containment space, but I think your safety-factor answer is quite reasonable as the double-walled tank will take care of any internal free jets. I still think loss of containment from splashing wouldn't be an issue unless you're trying to contain spilled flubber.
    Nope - it's still SQRT (10), unless the fluid inside the tank below 1 meter is going to defy gravity and climb out of the tank. That volume is still part of the contained volume.

Flubber does present a unique set of it's own circumstances....🙄

As for the shotgun, not a problem. These tanks were made to withstand a run-in with an errant aircraft next to a runway....
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    19 May '05 22:18
    Nope - it's still SQRT (10), unless the fluid inside the tank below 1 meter is going to defy gravity and climb out of the tank. That volume is still part of the contained volume.

Flubber does present a unique set of it's own circumstances....🙄

As for the shotgun, not a problem. These tanks were made to withstand a run-in with an errant aircraft next to a runway....
    Oh yeah, I guess you're right about the SQRT(10). But watch this save --> I must have been thinking about tank farms by mistake! Sweet! Face officially saved...🙄

Sounds like you have a pretty cool job. Or you live in a rough neighbourhood. Or both!
  5. Standard memberThe Plumber
    Leak-Proof
    under the sink
    Moves
    20 May '05 07:44
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Sounds like you have a pretty cool job. Or you live in a rough neighbourhood. Or both!
    I finally remembered the name: Convault www.convault.com. From their product description:

8. Vehicle impact resistance

ConVault® tanks are designed to have a low center of gravity that can withstand vehicle impact and tipping during earthquakes and other natural disasters. ConVault® tanks have withstood even phenomenon tests such as C-130 aircraft impact at Ft. Dobbins in Georgia, Hurricane Andrew and the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

9.Bullet Resistance

ConVault® tanks withstand bullet resistance tests in compliance with UFC SECTION (79-7). APPENDIX # A-II-F-1.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree