1. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    15 May '04 07:56
    OK, this riddle works if you are Dutch, but maybe it works in other languages too, I don't know exactly:

A man comes to a bridge with a sign saying 1 person at a time to cross the bridge. Still he can't cross the bridge. Why?
  2. The moral highground
    Moves
    15 May '04 18:25
    There is someone already on it.
  3. Joined
    08 Dec '03
    Moves
    15 May '04 18:41
    Originally posted by piderman
    OK, this riddle works if you are Dutch, but maybe it works in other languages too, I don't know exactly:

A man comes to a bridge with a sign saying 1 person at a time to cross the bridge. Still he can't cross the bridge. Why?
    He is in a boat passing under the bridge?

-Ray.
  4. DonationAcolyte
    Now With Added BA
    Loughborough
    Moves
    15 May '04 18:52

Could you give the Dutch version? If it's a play-on-words it might indeed be language-specific.
  5. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    16 May '04 10:50
    The riddle can be asked in any language. The answer is actually a Dutch proverb, but I don't know if it exists in other languages. I hope I haven't given away too much with this hint. 🙂
  6. Standard memberSirLoseALot
    Shut Gorohoviy!
    Moves
    16 May '04 17:231 edit
    He didn't pay?
  7. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    16 May '04 19:29

Just because he's carrying a sign saying that doesn't mean he's allowed to cross the bridge.
  8. Joined
    11 Apr '04
    Moves
    19 May '04 21:39
    just because he was standing next to the bridge doesn't mean that he told poeple not to go o the bridge. O rmaybe he wasn't a person... hum.. I suck at riddles.. as you can see
  9. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    19 May '04 23:53
    The riddle can be asked in any language. The answer is actually a Dutch proverb, but I don't know if it exists in other languages. I hope I haven't given away too much with this hint. 🙂
    There you go - seven zillion answers to this but I bet only one of them's a dutch proverb. 😀
  10. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    20 May '04 08:11
    OK, I give you all a few days more before I'll post the answer
  11. my head
    Moves
    20 May '04 15:28

either he is not the one person who is alowed to cross, or it is not the time when one person is alowed to cross.
  12. R.I.P.
    Moves
    20 May '04 19:56
    Because he is still alive ?
  13. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    20 May '04 21:421 edit
    Luckily, or possibly unluckily there are various lists of english translations of dutch proverbs, eg here:
    http://quote.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_proverbs
    and a much longer one here:
    http://www.worldofquotes.com/proverb/Dutch/1/

The dutch seem to have a lot of proverbs!

Having looked at them I'm none the wiser though.
  14. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    21 May '04 09:26
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    Luckily, or possibly unluckily there are various lists of english translations of dutch proverbs, eg here:
    http://quote.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_proverbs
    and a much longer one here:
    http://www.worldofquotes.com/proverb/Dutch/1/

The dutch seem to have a lot of proverbs!

Having looked at them I'm none the wiser though.
    You actually checked 976 proverbs?
    I didn't find mine in the first, and the second is cool: finding the Dutch proverb with the English translation. I did check the obvious places for the translation to stand, but didn't find it. I *didn't* check all though.
  15. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    24 May '04 10:311 edit
    You actually checked 976 proverbs?
    I didn't find mine in the first, and the second is cool: finding the Dutch proverb with the English translation. I did check the obvious places for the translation to stand, but didn't find it. I *didn't* check all though.
    No - checking 976 proverbs was too much for me. I checked all of the first site.

Hmm - is the answer "you can't cross a bridge until you come to it"? As the sign has no "it" in the text he can't cross the bridge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree