Black to Move.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:39
    Originally posted by timmydoza
    [fen]rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR b KQkq - 0 1[/fen]

Black to Move.
    No, it is not possible. White and Black have obviously both made an even number of moves [if they have moved at all]. Parity only matches AFTER Black moves.
  3. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:441 edit
    EDIT: Nevermind... I was wrong...
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:471 edit
    Originally posted by Gastel
    I think it is possible, if the knights reversed positions. (I did this in my head, and I think I may have injured myself.)
    That still leads to an even number of total moves - both N's have made an odd number of moves if they switched!
  5. B is for bye bye
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That still leads to an even number of total moves - both N's have made an odd number of moves if they switched!
    Damn you SG for your speedy replies... I was editting to remove my blunder and there you go.

I was doing doing the whole move, not stopping at a half move.
  6. Backside of desert
    Moves
    02 Jun '08 01:562 edits
    Edit: swiss gambit posted while i was typing

no.

in order to reach the position either black has made x moves and white x+1; so some body has made an odd number of moves.

The rooks have only one square they can move to (after a knight moves out) so the rook moves away and moves back w times wich is a=2x an even number of times.

if the knights are are on their original sqares: it requires a knight an even number of moves to move from one square to a square of the same color; which gives b, even

so if the knights are on original squares total moves are a1+a2+b1+b2
    which is a sum of even numbers which is even.

if the knights have switched: a kight requires an odd number of moves to move from a square to a square of opposite color; which gives c, odd. but the other knigt must also have moved to a square of opposite color. total knight moves are c1+c2=d which is a sum of 2 odd numbers, so d is even.

so if the knights have swithed; total moves are a1+a2+d which is a sum of even numbers which gives an even number.

so neither player could have made an odd number of movers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree