1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Sep '06 20:38
    In the middle of Foucault's Pendulum, Umbertro Eco and wondered what the shape of the circle it covers, at the N & S poles, presumably it would describe a perfect circle but what about at the equator? Would the shape still be a circle or would it be an ellipse? Or just a straight line. Can't see it being a straight line, I would think that would only happen if the planet under it was not rotating.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 10:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In the middle of Foucault's Pendulum, Umbertro Eco and wondered what the shape of the circle it covers, at the N & S poles, presumably it would describe a perfect circle but what about at the equator? Would the shape still be a circle or would it be an ellipse? Or just a straight line. Can't see it being a straight line, I would think that would only happen if the planet under it was not rotating.
    If the pendulum is perfectly along the equator, the Coriolis acceleration would be zero, I think. It sounds weird but it would be a line.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 12:48
    I had to think long and hard about this problem. Actually no I didn't I just looked up the wikipedia page and there are the answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 13:03
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I had to think long and hard about this problem. Actually no I didn't I just looked up the wikipedia page and there are the answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
    I didn't understand the effect caused by the fixed stars. Would the pendulum be in a straight line or not?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 15:381 edit
    Boy there is a lot of unsuspected physics in that bob for sure! Unsuspected by me that is. Thanks for the link. I gather the precession at the equator goes to zero, so the pendulum describes the same circle at the equator and at the poles? Interesting about the poleward force. That sounds like all things being equal, the lighter-than-air craft would drift towards the pole and eventually end up there.
    So the precession could be used as a way to figure out what latitude you are at by measuring it then backtracking through the equation.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 17:48
    As I see it the answer would be something like this:

If the pendulums first wavelength is a stright line it will still be a straight line in the following wavelength, disregarding the position of the earth.
    The same thing happens also if the first wavelength is a perfect circle or a ellips.
    It just continues as it is started.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Sep '06 18:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    As I see it the answer would be something like this:

If the pendulums first wavelength is a stright line it will still be a straight line in the following wavelength, disregarding the position of the earth.
    The same thing happens also if the first wavelength is a perfect circle or a ellips.
    It just continues as it is started.
    What are you defining as the 'wavelength'? The size of the circle it proscribes?
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 17:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What are you defining as the 'wavelength'? The size of the circle it proscribes?
    I don't know if it is the correct definition of the term wavelength but here I mean one cycle of movement. Back and forth or a circle (or ellips) around.
  9. Standard membernarya
    pawnic attack
    Eriador
    Moves
    08 Sep '06 22:26
    Great book, by the way. Much better than DaVinci Code.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Sep '06 04:14
    Originally posted by narya
    Great book, by the way. Much better than DaVinci Code.
    Indeed. There are so many referances its like an occult Finnegans Wake. I am about in the middle so have yet to finish it. Am very busy right now, emails to write, music files to send, all not done yet, have to pick up my honda tomorrow, bad transmission shift cable, it seems like an endless list of things to do before I get back to it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree