1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 14:41
    Originally posted by Thomaster
    Your cilinder trick doesn't work, since the line should remain straight. (what is impoosible on a rolled paper)

I think I understand how you do it with one line. You take two papers.
    First you hit three dots with a straight line and you 'park' the line in the second paper. You can simply move the dots :-)
    The surface of a paper is two-dimensional even if it's bent. On this two-dimensional paper the line is straight. If you don't accept this, then it's impossible to go straight west on the surface of the earth.
    But never mind, this is not my solution, I don't defend it.

If your solution is correct then there are another solution as well.
  2. ALG
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 17:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The surface of a paper is two-dimensional even if it's bent. On this two-dimensional paper the line is straight. If you don't accept this, then it's impossible to go straight west on the surface of the earth.
    But never mind, this is not my solution, I don't defend it.

If your solution is correct then there are another solution as well.
    Don't underestimate cilinders, even those things are 3D. And yes, the earth isn't straight either.

owow, did you just say there is another solution, because mine is correct? 😕
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 18:59
    Don't underestimate cilinders, even those things are 3D. And yes, the earth isn't straight either.

owow, did you just say there is another solution, because mine is correct? 😕
    Every point of the surface of a cylindre demands two coordinates, and no more, two is enough, therefore the surface of a cylindre is two-dimensional.
    Even the surface of the Earth is two-dimensional of the same reason, two coordinates is enough.
    But never mind if you disqualify this solution, there is another one.
  4. ALG
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 19:32
    Every point of the surface of a cylindre demands two coordinates, and no more, two is enough, therefore the surface of a cylindre is two-dimensional.
    Even the surface of the Earth is two-dimensional of the same reason, two coordinates is enough.
    But never mind if you disqualify this solution, there is another one.
    Just two coordinates? Do you use a round axis? 😛
  5. Shanghai
    Moves
    25 Mar '09 20:231 edit
    you can have straight lines on a curved surface, eg any line of longitude or latitude. Coordinates can be given in latitude and longitude as well, which is one coordinate system.

I still cannot see the other one line solution, is it a sort of kick yourself when you see it one?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 12:191 edit
    Just two coordinates? Do you use a round axis? 😛

Originally posted by deriver69
    you can have straight lines on a curved surface, eg any line of longitude or latitude. Coordinates can be given in latitude and longitude as well, which is one coordinate system.

I still cannot see the other one line solution, is it a sort of kick yourself when you see it one?
    Every point on the surface of a cylindre can be described woth two coordinates: (1) The distance from some defined midpoint (or end-point) on the surface and (2) how many degrees around the surface, in degrees or radians. Two coordinates is enough. But there is an interior too, for that it takes a third coordinate, but we can only draw a line on it's surface so two is enough.

I give a clue of 'my' solution. I worked at a supermarket once, and they thought I was pretty clever with drawing posters, you know "For sale - chicken - half price!". I got the idea for the solution then...
  7. ALG
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 17:57
    Every point on the surface of a cylindre can be described woth two coordinates.
    http://www.mostert.org/3dindepraktijk/afbeeldingen/h3/as1.gif

Paint your cylindre in this and try to describe a point with just two coordinates.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 21:47
    http://www.mostert.org/3dindepraktijk/afbeeldingen/h3/as1.gif

Paint your cylindre in this and try to describe a point with just two coordinates.
    There are points on the surface of the cylinder (those are interesting), and there are points not on the surface of the cylindre (the other are not interesting).

Let skip the cylindre for a while and go to the surface of the earth, and we assume the surface is smooth as a sphere. Okay? Now, you are somewhere on this globe. How many coordinates does it take to fully describe your position on the surface of the globe? Latitude and longitude. If you tell me your latitude and longitude of your home location, and I know where your live. Two is enough, three is not neccesary. Right?

Let's go back to the cylindre. Take a flat map over the world in paper. Make a roll out of it. It's cylindrical. You can thus represent every point on this cylindrical map and give two coordinates for every point, latitude and longitude. Two is enough.

But this is beyond the point of the problem given. I can cover 9 points with one straight stroke only of a marker pen. That's the solution. How do I do that?
  9. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 13:16
    Are you allowed to cut up the paper?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 14:36
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Are you allowed to cut up the paper?
    You ask me? I don't know, I didn't do it...
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 15:56
    I give a clue of 'my' solution. I worked at a supermarket once, and they thought I was pretty clever with drawing posters, you know "For sale - chicken - half price!". I got the idea for the solution then...
    Is this a hint?: At that work I used a broad marker pen.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '09 05:02
    Is this a hint?: At that work I used a broad marker pen.
    My solution to the problem - 9 points, one straight line:

Use a marker pen with a broad tip so you can cover nine points in one single stroke.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree