1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    31 Dec '21 10:242 edits
    Girls events, scholastic events, blitz, closed championships, large events with heavy GM participation, G 15, G 20, G 30, G 45, G 60.

This represents 95% of the OTB tournaments in my area. All well and good, but - what about mid level adults who want to play with normal time controls i.e. G 90 or longer? Are they gone because of COVID? Have they gone the way of the buggy whip, and high buttoned shoes? Just wondering...
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Dec '21 14:23
    @mchill said
    Girls events, scholastic events, blitz, closed championships, large events with heavy GM participation, G 15, G 20, G 30, G 45, G 60.

This represents 95% of the OTB tournaments in my area. All well and good, but - what about mid level adults who want to play with normal time controls i.e. G 90 or longer? Are they gone because of COVID? Have they gone the way of the buggy whip, and high buttoned shoes? Just wondering...
    I don't play otb, but I suggest chess in general is leaning towards the quicker forms of the game.
    In today's world everything has to be "instant" it seems.
    What youngster today would wait 7 minutes for a spectrum or commodore 64 game to load from a cassette?
    I don't think it's anything to do with covid
  3. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    31 Dec '21 14:26
    @mchill

You're lucky to have OTB tournaments near you.

I think one hour for each player is the perfect time control in my opinion 🤔
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Dec '21 19:49
    @mchill said

Ish. In my country, the Hoogovens - sorry, TaTa - had an amateur section up until two years ago. There were several less serious, but still worth participating in, tournaments in my province. Corona has indeed killed them all for the now, but they still did exist before, and I can only hope they will resurge in... 2027?
  5. Joined
    26 Sep '10
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 09:49
    Normal has pretty much become a thing of the past.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    10 Jan '22 19:10
    @mchill said

Not sure where in the Pacific Northwest you live but there's this in Spokane next month: https://new.uschess.org/29th-collyer-memorial

g/115 d5.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Jan '22 17:35
    @no1marauder said
    Not sure where in the Pacific Northwest you live but there's this in Spokane next month: https://new.uschess.org/29th-collyer-memorial

g/115 d5.
    It's about 300 miles away, and over some mountain passes. Not a bad idea though considering it will be months before the next one.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Jan '22 23:27
    @mchill Florida USA has plenty. If nothing else, check out the Continental Chess Association tournaments at chesstour.com
  9. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    12 Jan '22 00:141 edit
    @paul-leggett said
    @mchill Florida USA has plenty. If nothing else, check out the Continental Chess Association tournaments at chesstour.com
    I played in those tournaments way back in the day.

Sturbridge Massachusetts. 😉
  10. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 09:15
    I dont know. I originally signed up as CaptainMorphy took
    me a whole year or more to figure out who these English People were.
    finally at last where is Itude?
  11. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 09:16
    chess.com is schizophrenia btw
  12. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 09:25
    My stupidity amazes me
  13. Standard memberPaladin I
    LEROYBROWN
    south side of chitow
    Moves
    15 Jan '22 15:45
    Frenchmen attack teamEngland. Summon Lancelot Du Lac

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree