1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 11:22
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I like 1.e4, although that means I have to deal with the #&($ Sicilian.

Maybe I should switch to 1.Nf3. 😛 But then, no Scotch Gambits.
    It is possible to transpose into the Scotch Gambit with 1. Nf3 Nc6 (sometimes people do this) 2. e4 e5 etc.. I've been playing 1. Nf3 to try to avoid being completely stereotypical in the opening. I feel I ought to play mainline Scotch games but I've had so much success with the Scotch Gambit in the last year or so that there's no great incentive.

In answer to the OP what I look for in an opening is an opportunity to beat my opponent in as few moves as possible.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 12:59
    @deepthought said
    It is possible to transpose into the Scotch Gambit with 1. Nf3 Nc6 (sometimes people do this) 2. e4 e5 etc.. I've been playing 1. Nf3 to try to avoid being completely stereotypical in the opening. I feel I ought to play mainline Scotch games but I've had so much success with the Scotch Gambit in the last year or so that there's no great incentive.

In answer to the OP what I look for in an opening is an opportunity to beat my opponent in as few moves as possible.
    Win in fewest moves? Play low rated people for best results.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 14:34
    @eladar said
    Win in fewest moves? Play low rated people for best results.
    Exactly. Against a tough opponent, you shouldn't be picky about how you win. Sometimes the long, won endgame is the path of least resistance.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Mar '20 20:242 edits
    @eladar said
    When I first started playing chess, I really liked the Colle because I could get out of the first 10 moves without having a losing position.

Now it seems the opening gets your pieces developed in a way that you like. I no longer like the Colle because it is way too passive and closed.

What is it about your opening that you like?

Do you play different openings depending on the strength of your opponent?
    Q: What is it about your opening that you like? A: I like the English because few players think of it when preparing for an OTB tournament, choosing instead to focus on defences against e4 and d4, also there are a limited number of defences against c4, which cuts down on the responses I need to study.

Q: Do you play different openings depending on the strength of your opponent? A: Never - I stay with what I know.

P.S. - I said in the debates section, I'm limited to one post a week, but came out a few days early because these are really interesting questions. 🙂
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    20 Mar '20 14:02
    @mchill

And there it is. Bang on. Thumb's for that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree