1. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 17:45
    In the opening, is sacrificing a knight to take a rook a good move? I recently made the trade and am wondering if I am being tricked by a good player or if I took advantage of the mistake of a mediocre player.
  2. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 17:50
    The generally accepted practice is to discuss games only after they are complete.
  3. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 19:23
    i have no knowledge of the game you made the move in, so cannot say for that particular game (nor would i - as already stated, games in progress should not be discussed). BUT ...

in general, sacrificing a knight to gain a rook is good play (depending on the position of course)
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 19:30
    This not discussing a game in progress stuff is shi**. Ok, not giving moves to them or talking about precise positions but im hardly going to avoid giving comments in say a thread about the french defence because a few of the players have games with that opening.

If you are refering to a Nxc2/c7 trick then picking up a rook that way often great.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 20:47
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    This not discussing a game in progress stuff is shi**. Ok, not giving moves to them or talking about precise positions but im hardly going to avoid giving comments in say a thread about the french defence because a few of the players have games with that opening.

If you are refering to a Nxc2/c7 trick then picking up a rook that way often great.
    Agree.
  6. over there
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 20:51
    A rook is 5 points, and a knight is 3 points. It's like gaining two pawns.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 20:55
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    A rook is 5 points, and a knight is 3 points. It's like gaining two pawns.
    That's a lie, point values change with every move. Point values are never dynamic (That's long term, right?)
  8. over there
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 20:59
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's a lie, point values change with every move. Point values are never dynamic (That's long term, right?)
    Well there's an exception to every rule. Generally you weould want to trade a knight for a rook.
  9. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    17 Oct '06 22:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You have the words backwards, although the concept is right. 🙂 Point values are dynamic (i.e., always changing) as opposed to static (constant).
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 00:28
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    You have the words backwards, although the concept is right. 🙂 Point values are dynamic (i.e., always changing) as opposed to static (constant).
    Thanks, always mix up the static and dynamic stuff. 😉
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 01:49
    It's not a sacrifice at all.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 01:581 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    It's not a sacrifice at all.
    Oops, wrong thread.
  13. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    18 Oct '06 14:32
    Originally posted by edunnum
    In the opening, is sacrificing a knight to take a rook a good move? I recently made the trade and am wondering if I am being tricked by a good player or if I took advantage of the mistake of a mediocre player.
    As in most positions a Rook is more valuable than a Knight this is not regarded as a sacrifice at all; in fact when one side gains a Rook for a minor piece (Bishop or a Knight) it is known as "Winning the Exchange", and in master or grandmaster games is often enough to ensure a win.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree